XL feels like a downgrade

#1DamianlXlPosted 6/12/2013 2:42:06 AM
So I recently got the 3DS XL as a gift... and I don't want to be rude but I am thinking of returning it.

The 3D effect has constant crosstalk where there images shimmer. I can't seem to find the sweet spot no matter how much I adjust the position. The screen is bigger which is fine I guess but... the resolution is the same so the result is just more pixelization.

The sound also seems tinny. Its grating on my ears. Are the speakers cheaper in this model?

So other than the ergonomic aspect (it does feel better to hold) Is there a plus to the XL or what?

I tried a few games back to back and they all look worse on the XL.
---
FC Black2: 1335 8568 7791
#2Stephen_TrainorPosted 6/12/2013 2:47:25 AM
Don't say that - mine's going to arrive soon. :(
---
NNID: SteveTrain
http://www.youtube.com/RSSteve0
#3TheWhoFanPosted 6/12/2013 2:51:55 AM
Well, then, return it. You don't need any convincing. Problem solved, move on.
---
"On a technical level, PC obviously. But because PC and Xbox have no games, PS3 wins." - ScreamingMidget
They don't even try anymore.
#4DamianlXl(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2013 3:11:27 AM
Yeah I am just bummed. I don't want to hurt feelings by returning a gift.

Also I was wondering I anyone else had experienced this. The lower quality of visuals I can get over but the 3D ghosting/crosstalk is making me kinda dizzy.
---
FC Black2: 1335 8568 7791
#5WidgetcraftPosted 6/12/2013 3:33:28 AM
Personally, I just upgraded to the XL from my Cosmo Black launch unit, and I love it. More comfortable, colors seem more vibrant, better ergonomics (not just comfort, but having the stylus in a more accessible position as well; no to mention not having to telescope it out). Games look better on it to me, though I don't know why they would, I just have to assume that the screen is giving me more vibrant colors.

There is a lot of crosstalk, I will agree there. I haven't noticed the speaker issue, though it is more quiet than I'd like. The only headphones I have around are bluetooth, so I can't use them with the 3DS, which is unfortunate as they work well with my Vita.
#6mmc2679Posted 6/12/2013 6:41:24 AM
I loved my Zelda 3DS. It was a thing of beauty. But the 3DS sweet spot sucked for me. The problem was fixed when I got my XL. But I do agree with TC...XL is a downgrade from regular 3DS. The screen quality took a hit and the sound is so damn crappy that my 6 years old DS has better quality sounds. But that bigger screen is just too sweet to pass up.
---
PSN ID: Mustq
Wii U ID: Crimson
#7x_stevey_xPosted 6/12/2013 6:43:06 AM
^screen quality is actually better. better anti glare and anti scratch mechanisms
#8BigReedPosted 6/12/2013 6:43:51 AM
The ghosting happens on both models, but can be more frequent on the bigger screens. The speakers are absolutely crappy on both models, and I would always suggest headphones if you're going to complain about sound.

The XL does have quieter speakers though.
---
If you like my reviews, recommend them. If you have some suggestions feel free to PM me.
#9tranceaddict19Posted 6/12/2013 6:48:28 AM
I never really care about sound, what are you gonna hear music?

Doesn't effect gameplay at all, I love my pika XL got it as first 3DS at launch.

Recently I really wanted another 3DS I bought a midnight purple cause I liked the color, I opened it up and immediately returned it.

Why?

Cause looking at a border of 2 inches on each side of the screen was not going to cut it for me after and XL absolutely ugly looking.
---
3DS FC : 2680-9494-1373
#10wentzelotPosted 6/12/2013 6:50:25 AM
XL sound is more than loud enough for me in a quiet environment.. so the regular 3ds being louder is completely pointless. and if you're in public you should be wearing headphones anyway.