Is the 3DS worth buying for an RPG/Nintendo fan?

#1theofficefan99Posted 6/15/2013 11:52:46 AM
On Amazon, it's $160 new. I've never played the DS.

These are the games I'm interested in for the system:

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
3. Final Fantasy Tactics A2
4. Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings
5. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates
6. Dragon Quests IV-VI (at least one of the them)
7. Dragon Quest IX
8. Radiant Historia
9. Final Fantasy IV DS (no clue if this version is better or the PSP one)
10. Fire Emblem Awakening
11. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
12. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
13. Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
14. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
15. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
16. Bravely Default: Flying Fairy

Are these games worth it?

Are there any already released RPG's or soon-to-be released RPG's that I should keep in mind or add to my list of games that I'm going to potentially buy?

And as for all the first-party Nintendo titles (mainly Mario)--- I've completely lost track. Which ones are worth buying?

Thanks, you guys!
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#2wentzelotPosted 6/15/2013 12:12:23 PM
yes it's worth it. imo the ds version of final fantasy 4 is the best one.. but i'm sure others will disagree. it is revamped to be more similar to the playstation era titles which imo is a good thing.

also don't forget castlevania dawn of sorrow and portrait of ruin to go with order of ecclesia. dawn of sorrow was my favorite but all 3 are excellent.

final fantasy 4 heroes of light is also quite good

and a ton of SMT games.. particularly devil survivor overclocked since you seem to like turn based tactics games
#3theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2013 12:17:21 PM
wentzelot posted...
yes it's worth it. imo the ds version of final fantasy 4 is the best one.. but i'm sure others will disagree. it is revamped to be more similar to the playstation era titles which imo is a good thing.

also don't forget castlevania dawn of sorrow and portrait of ruin to go with order of ecclesia. dawn of sorrow was my favorite but all 3 are excellent.

final fantasy 4 heroes of light is also quite good

and a ton of SMT games.. particularly devil survivor overclocked since you seem to like turn based tactics games

Thanks for the suggestions!

And yeah, the DS version seems like the best one to me. Better localization, harder difficulty, more content, voice acting, actual cutscenes...

I heard The After Years isn't good and Interlude is worthless, anyways.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#4ObtuseAnginaPosted 6/15/2013 12:18:50 PM
Yes the 3DS is worth it, but the PSP Final Fantasy IV is best.
---
./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_http://i.imgur.com/qtiKuN7.png
( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,...Husky Unit, covering the base since 1997.
#5OMNOMNOM782Posted 6/15/2013 12:20:10 PM
I can't say I've played all the games you've listed but I think Fire Emblem Awakening and the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time alone are good enough reason to get the system. Zelda might not be necessary if you've already played the original, as it's not really that different, but it's a great game nonetheless. If you've never played any Fire Emblem before then I'd say Awakening is a great entry point to the series due to it's lower difficulty. The Etrian Odyssey series is great if you're into dungeon crawlers and you should also check out Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked and the Advance Wars series if you like turn based games.
---
LLLLLLLLLLET'S PLAY!!!!!! - Ray Narvaez Jr.
#6lambchipsPosted 6/15/2013 12:20:50 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
I've never played the DS.

the 3ds is worth it just for the ds bc (especially for someone that doesnt own a ds... there are a ton of exclusive jrpgs and unique games)
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#7theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2013 12:24:38 PM
ObtuseAngina posted...
Yes the 3DS is worth it, but the PSP Final Fantasy IV is best.

Why, though?

I think the DS version of FFIV appeals to me the most, with the vastly superior translation, increased difficulty, new gameplay features, extra content, voice acting, and additional cutscenes.

But then again... I haven't played either version so I wouldn't know :p
---
#8theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2013 12:25:53 PM
OMNOMNOM782 posted...
I can't say I've played all the games you've listed but I think Fire Emblem Awakening and the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time alone are good enough reason to get the system. Zelda might not be necessary if you've already played the original, as it's not really that different, but it's a great game nonetheless. If you've never played any Fire Emblem before then I'd say Awakening is a great entry point to the series due to it's lower difficulty. The Etrian Odyssey series is great if you're into dungeon crawlers and you should also check out Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked and the Advance Wars series if you like turn based games.

Advance Wars looks interesting. Not interested in the non-DDS/Persona SMT games. Not interested in Etrian Odyssey.

I was actually thinking of making Path of Radiance my first Fire Emblem game :/
---
#9Hardley_SmithPosted 6/15/2013 12:27:19 PM
there are 16 games you're interested in and you're asking us whether it'd be worth it to you?

lol
---
http://myanimelist.net/profile/SephkaBlight
#10theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2013 12:29:48 PM
Hardley_Smith posted...
there are 16 games you're interested in and you're asking us whether it'd be worth it to you?

lol

I don't know which ones are worth it though :p
---