why are games so expensive

#1Crunch34Posted 6/16/2013 4:14:53 PM
it might be just because im used to PC gaming and steam sales, but why are the games so expensive for 3ds and the price hardly ever drops even for games that have been out for awhile? 40 for a mobile game is really a lot given the content for most of the games. why are the games so expensive and why are good sales so rare
#2confettistormPosted 6/16/2013 4:18:44 PM(edited)
Fire Emblem Awakening: 340 hours - $40
Etrian Odyssey IV: 180 hours - $40
Tales of the AByss: 180 hours - $40

Please tell me another type of entertainment where you can get hundreds of hours of entertainment out of $40. Let's even assume that I'm crazy and that you need to get $1 per hour of entertainment for it to be worth it.
Give me an example. Please humour me.

You need to stop comparing real handheld experiences to iPhone scams.
#3DeathSoul2000Posted 6/16/2013 4:17:31 PM
you do know no one's forcing you to get a 3ds, right?
#4Wip3out64Posted 6/16/2013 4:17:46 PM
I agree TC, prices need to come down. I don't know why they hold their prices so much.
#5luuk_uPosted 6/16/2013 4:21:20 PM
Price at launch of games is fine, but I'll agree they stay too high for a long time.
This probably has a lot to do with the fact that they sell less games overall compared to home consoles, so fewer games going into the used market.

Also some regular DS games are hard as hell to find for cheap in Europe still, been trying to find Bowser's Inside story for under 30 and it's been difficult.
#6vu_cometPosted 6/16/2013 4:22:02 PM
If you think games are expensive, you must have grown up in the early 2000s. Back in the 80s and 90s is when games were expensive...
---
With your bad back, I don't think you should be picking up any girls.
Van Morrison is still a really cool cat. O.K.?
#7yankee6903Posted 6/16/2013 4:22:04 PM
It depends on what you consider expensive. Here are some examples:

Movie - 12 for 1.5 hours
Goofy Golf - 15 for 2 hours
Games - 40 for up to 100+ hours

If you think they are too expensive just wait for a sale or buy used. You can purchase almost any game, except for rare ones, for about half the price.
#8confettistormPosted 6/16/2013 4:25:43 PM(edited)
Wip3out64 posted...
I agree TC, prices need to come down. I don't know why they hold their prices so much.

Do children these days not understand the costs of making games.
You need to pay the staff, rent, marketing, distribution, physical packaging printing, licensing, royalties, quality assurance...
Your $40 doesn't even pay for 1 hour of a developper's salary... Actually, the developpers of the game don't even get all $40 since some of it goes to the retailer, distributor, platform holder of the game...

When you get to the real word, you'll have fun with the price of software for businesses. Productivity software such us Office/Photoshop... go for HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of dollars for a legit license.

Again, you can't compare real handheld experiences with iPhone scams. They are banking on some stupid kid to purchase $1000 of DLC out of pure stupidity.
#9guedesbrawlPosted 6/16/2013 4:24:30 PM
please, these are first-world games: they are cheap as bread.

consider yourself lucky you aren't living in a third-world country.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#10IrateGameFAQerPosted 6/16/2013 4:24:47 PM
confettistorm posted...
Fire Emblem Awakening: 340 hours - $40
Etrian Odyssey IV: 180 hours - $40
Tales of the AByss: 180 hours - $40

Please tell me another type of entertainment where you can get hundreds of hours of entertainment out of $40. Let's even assume that I'm crazy and that you need to get $1 per hour of entertainment for it to be worth it.
Give me an example. Please humour me.

You need to stop comparing real handheld experiences to iPhone scams.

...that's only if you're assuming one is a fan of (S)RPG's. I see the point you're trying to make, but it's still a flawed assumption and point.

You could get the same entertainment value from those books of crosswords, sudeuko, etc. for cheaper too, if you're a puzzle person.
---
#1 Chris Bores fan!