why are games so expensive

#131reverence27Posted 6/18/2013 7:39:40 AM
Crunch34 posted...
it might be just because im used to PC gaming and steam sales, but why are the games so expensive for 3ds and the price hardly ever drops even for games that have been out for awhile? 40 for a mobile game is really a lot given the content for most of the games. why are the games so expensive and why are good sales so rare

Considering in 1989 when gameboy came out game prices started at $29.99 for the system, in todays dollars that equates to around $56, you are getting a deal at $39.99 (usually you can get the games at $29.99 - $35.99 at preorder depending on who you buy from for most games.)

The games cost much more to make then they did in the 80's and games have much more content then they did back then. With the used game and trade market and constant price decreases for most publishers, there really is no argument, games are cheaper then ever.
---
"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life, I absenteed myself from Christian assemblies." ~Benjamin Franklin
#132Half-GhostPosted 6/18/2013 7:47:30 AM
Back when I was a kid, games were ridiculously expensive. $40 is a good deal for a game of this quality.
#133reverence27Posted 6/18/2013 7:55:06 AM
Freelance_Wolf posted...
Console/handheld games are more expensive because they are locked to (normally) one console/handheld. You can only play certain games on a 3DS, for example, so Nintendo can charge whatever they want for the game, and people pay because they have no choice.

PC games are different. PC games, unlike console/handheld games, have much stiffer competition online, where there are many websites selling digital PC games. The prices come down more because of competition, whereas you can only play Super Mario 3D Land on one system. There's no competition on the console scene.

Also, games were up to $100 in the old days. I remember Final Fantasy for the NES was $99, and PC games were $60.

PC Games also have the Benefit of no Used or Trade market and very limited physical product costs freeing up profit margins lost to this in the console game industries. If the console industry were to go all digital we would see the same effects that you see with pc and steam. Until then they have to keep digital prices on par with physical msrp to not undercut their retail suppliers.
---
"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life, I absenteed myself from Christian assemblies." ~Benjamin Franklin
#134AppleJockRidaPosted 6/19/2013 9:39:06 AM
http://toucharcade.com/2013/06/19/xcom-enemy-unknown-review/
#135jovewolfPosted 6/19/2013 12:43:12 PM
SkittyOnWailord posted...
Yesterday I found my old Sears Christmas catalogs from the late 80's and early 90's (yes I kept them because I thought they would be funny in 20 years. And I was right). Let me list some examples of the prices of games and systems in it.

NES - Double Dragon 2 - $74.99
NES - Super Mario Bros 3 - $79.99
GameGear - Sonic Spinball - $49.99
GameGear - G.P Rider - $44.99
SNES - Super Metriod - $79.99
SNES - Might and Magic - $87.99
SNES - Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - $99.99
Genesis - Sonic and Knuckles - $84.99
Genesis - Super Street Fighter 2 - $99.99
Sega CD - ESPN Baseball - $79.99
Sega CD - Links - $89.99
Sega Saturn system - $629 (after $30 rebate)

You know the difference between then and now? It's not that games used to be alot more than they are now, it's that noone ever complained about them back then. I never once heard of anyone complaining about the prices of games until around the GCN and PS2 days. Does that mean people didn't care that they cost alot back then? Or are people these days just spoiled? I'm not going to comment either way. I'm just pointing out facts.

It should also be noted that, adjusted for inflation, these prices would be even higher - that $79.99 Super Metroid would cost $122 today.
---
"Don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you."
#136AppleJockRidaPosted 6/23/2013 11:04:59 PM
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2875451#post2875451
#13790sRetroGamingPosted 6/24/2013 12:13:01 AM
GeminiX7 posted...
90sRetroGaming posted...
They're considered expensive because of the pay most normal working class americans make an hour each day. america doesn't pay their hard working class (you know.. the ones who actually perform hard physical labor unlike those who sit at a desk all day) but instead pays them chump change instead.

If most of us were rich (as in like celebrity or royalty rich) do you think we would find $40-$60 games expensive?. i highly doubt it. it would be considered chump change to us.. absolutely nothing.

I agree that i think game prices in general are WAY too high. oh well.. i want to play them so...

Considering your username, I'm praying you are joking. Did you ever buy games in the 90s? If you look at inflation and th increase in production costs in games, Handheld titles(and cosole titles to a lesser extent) are dirt cheap. I believe the scaled up cost of games back in the SNES era would be like, $80 per title now. And then there were some games that cost that much back then too.

Its funny, because it kinda gos for consoles as well. Many newer gamers don't realize that if you compare the worth of a dollar then compared to now, most systems are much cheaper than they used to be. If you wanted systems from the NES/SNES/N64 era when they first released back then, it'd be like paying for a XB1 now.

I don't believe i am, no. sorry. also about my username.. it's just that.. a username. it means just as much as it does those posting board user information of others when they have a problem with another users comment... absolutely nothing.
---
MKW FC: 3008-8379-7294/3DS FC: 1375-7268-6996/http://www.youtube.com/user/OldSchoolGaming4Life
#13890sRetroGamingPosted 6/24/2013 12:23:07 AM
GeminiX7 posted...
SkittyOnWailord posted...
Yesterday I found my old Sears Christmas catalogs from the late 80's and early 90's (yes I kept them because I thought they would be funny in 20 years. And I was right). Let me list some examples of the prices of games and systems in it.

NES - Double Dragon 2 - $74.99
NES - Super Mario Bros 3 - $79.99
GameGear - Sonic Spinball - $49.99
GameGear - G.P Rider - $44.99
SNES - Super Metriod - $79.99
SNES - Might and Magic - $87.99
SNES - Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - $99.99
Genesis - Sonic and Knuckles - $84.99
Genesis - Super Street Fighter 2 - $99.99
Sega CD - ESPN Baseball - $79.99
Sega CD - Links - $89.99
Sega Saturn system - $629 (after $30 rebate)

You know the difference between then and now? It's not that games used to be alot more than they are now, it's that noone ever complained about them back then. I never once heard of anyone complaining about the prices of games until around the GCN and PS2 days. Does that mean people didn't care that they cost alot back then? Or are people these days just spoiled? I'm not going to comment either way. I'm just pointing out facts.

And for a bonus. Here are the specs of a Packard Bell PC back then.
8/25 mHz CPU
170MB HDD
4MB RAM
and a 512K GPU
All for only $2599.

EDIT: I didn't read the post above mine (or any others in this topic) until after I posted this, so my post might not make any sense with the current discussion.

I'm still waiting for another so called "Retro gamer" (because apparently when a 16 year old plays Cave Story that makes them "Retro") to tell you that games are so expensive nowadays.

Also, side note, my dad bought me Mighty Morphing Power Rangers on the SNES on my 5th birthday. Now I understand why he almost breathed flames when my cousin tried to take it home with him a few nights later.

I'll just get this out of the way for you. i'm 29, not 16 as you're claiming and i've never played Cave Story before. and even if i did that wouldn't necessarilly make me "Retro" all of a sudden. it's funny how people around here go generalizing someone they don't even know. it's pretty cute tbh.
---
MKW FC: 3008-8379-7294/3DS FC: 1375-7268-6996/http://www.youtube.com/user/OldSchoolGaming4Life
#139HermeticJusticePosted 6/24/2013 12:28:06 AM
buy games used or from someone in ebay or amazon

the MSRP is usually considered the maximum, also games can be sold for about half the price and can be lended to anyone (this works more for physical copies though)
---
The official Ongyo-Ki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
The official Lea of the Kingdom Hearts III board
#140ServantOfErieosPosted 6/24/2013 12:41:57 AM
U_Cant_CE_Me posted...
Would you rather spend $100 for a Neo Geo game?

I didn't think so.

One evil doesn't negate the lesser evil.
---
Lord Erieos is coming...