Finally bought a 3DS, need game help (RPG mainly)

#1djs7685Posted 6/20/2013 6:54:22 AM
I bought a 3DS to play in my spare time, and I'm in need of some game suggestions. I love the Mario, Mario Kart, and Castlevania series of games, so I've already purchased those. I want something that takes more than just a few hours to beat, and preferably with some replay value. I don't need a ton of games, so I'm trying to narrow it down to the "best" option or 2 for what I enjoy. I need some help picking out an RPG to buy!

I love Pokemon and Final Fantasy. I've been playing my old Pokemon games a lot lately, and I really enjoy FFVII, FFIX, and FFX the most out of the Final Fantasy games. I played 3 on the original DS quite a few years ago and I remember having a pretty good time playing it. I want to buy something that isn't Final Fantasy, but sort of THAT style of RPG, if that makes sense. I'm not really into the tactics games too much either. I like the style of running around, battling things, getting upgrades for armor/items/etc. killing a boss, then rinse and repeat with at least a decent story behind it.

TLDR; I've put countless hours into Pokemon, Final Fantasy, and the Diablo games in my lifetime, so which RPG for the 3DS would I like??
#2Baha05Posted 6/20/2013 7:03:08 AM
Try the Etrian Odyssey IV demo (30 uses and allows you to transfer the save data to the full retail)

There is also Kingdom Hearts 3D, Pkemon Rumble Blast is fun, FF Thertrhythm while not an RPG has plenty of music from the Final Fantasy series.
---
"I will take the advice of PS3 over you, any day of the week. Especially, when you state that all aspect ratios are the same." Some Crazy Guy
#3Shadowstar108Posted 6/20/2013 7:11:02 AM
I'm not sure if Tales of the Abyss is like what you're asking for (I've never played it), but many on this board enjoy the game. I'd look for a gameplay video on Youtube or something first, though.
---
"Think we should tell them about the hexes, or sell it as is?"
#4djs7685(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2013 8:03:18 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'm going to check out some gameplay videos of those on my lunch break. I ordered the 3DS online so unfortunately I won't have it until this weekend so I can't try out any demos yet. I've been pretty out of touch when it comes to video games so I have no idea where to even start, and there are so many games that everyone talks about on the boards, so I figured I could at least get it narrowed down to a few to really look into for myself.
#5c-m-sPosted 6/20/2013 8:05:01 AM
I bought Tales of the Abyss as my first game for the 3DS and I am pretty happy with it. This game will last you a long time especially if you plan on replaying it on a higher difficulty and try to unlock some costumes and combos. I do have some problems with this game but it gets overshadowed by the cool combat and extensive character backgrounds.
#6chestershadowPosted 6/20/2013 8:35:06 AM(edited)
SMT 4 (out soon)
SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked
SMT Devil Survivor 2: Break Record (out soon)
SMT Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
SMT: Strange Journey

Fire Emblem Awakening

Chrono Trigger
Radiant Historia

Project X Zone (only if you like the series/characters used in it. It is mostly about the fan service, so if you don't like the characters they picked, its not easy to pickup, and its replay value is a bit limited outside of that fan service, definitely research this one for yourself. Comes out in a few days and preorders get a nice limited boxed set)

Dragon Quest 4, 5, 6, 9 and Monsters Joker 2 (first joker game sucked, second game is infinitely better. 7 and 8 arent available portable. Yet.)

Pokemon X/Y (ignore B/W 1&2, if you must have a pokemon game now, get Soul Silver or Heart Gold. Easily the best DS pokemon games bar none).

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (Out Soon)

Monster Hunter 3ds (I would reccomend waiting for the next one to inevitably be released though)

You literally won't need anything else besides this list for awhile. All triple-A, fantastic games ranging from different periods of time.

Edit:
I can't recommend EO as a series because as nice as it is, so many series (particularly the SMT series) do what EO does much better in almost every way. The plot is almost non-existant in the earlier EO games (I believe 4 is the first with any real substance to the story, and even then its pretty lacking. The 1st person dungeon crawling aspect is done much better in SMT strange Journey and Soul Hackers. Though, despite not being first person, SMT 4 will arguably be the best rpg on 3ds for quite alot of time.)
#7djs7685(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2013 9:52:50 AM
The SMT series was almost a sure thing for me to buy until I saw that it's the "tactics" style of battling. I'm not sure if it would be the right RPG for me with combat being that way.

Tales of the Abyss looks pretty cool and is something I'll probably be picking up to at least try it out.

EO will be something I play the demo to see if I enjoy it, a free demo is always a great way to help decide on a purchase and I really wish more games would have them.
#8The_KiriyamaPosted 6/20/2013 9:56:07 AM
chestershadow posted...
Pokemon X/Y (ignore B/W 1&2, if you must have a pokemon game now, get Soul Silver or Heart Gold. Easily the best DS pokemon games bar none).

Really? I mean, I heard there is a ton of stuff to do in the HG/SS versions, but that the best game for Pokemon thus far has been Black/White 2. What makes HG/SS better? If you can really sell me on it, i'd buy both, but otherwise i'll probably just get Black 2.
---
GamerTag: TheKiriyama
Currently Playing: Defiance (UK), Battlefield 3, Borderlands 2, Dark Souls
#9djs7685(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2013 10:00:33 AM
IMO every regular Pokemon is amazing (I haven't played any of the mystery dungeon, battle whatever games, or any of those off shoots of the original style Pokemon). You can't go wrong buying all of them. I'm currently playing Black 2 and I really love it, just as I enjoyed Black/White, HG/SS, and every other installment since playing Blue and Red when they came out. I'd never skip a Pokemon release, and if you're a big fan of the series I'd say just get both of them. Can't go wrong.

Also, Monster Hunter is on my list but I'm buying it on the Wii U instead. I need to look into Fire Emblem a bit more but from the looks of it, it may be another game that's not really the exact style that I'm looking for.
#10chestershadowPosted 6/20/2013 11:47:41 AM
djs7685 posted...
The SMT series was almost a sure thing for me to buy until I saw that it's the "tactics" style of battling. I'm not sure if it would be the right RPG for me with combat being that way.

Tales of the Abyss looks pretty cool and is something I'll probably be picking up to at least try it out.

EO will be something I play the demo to see if I enjoy it, a free demo is always a great way to help decide on a purchase and I really wish more games would have them.

Only the Devil Survivor games are tactics-based, and even those the battle system is nearly identical to the other games. The only difference is engaging in those battles in overclocked/break record is done from a grid rather than random dungeon encounters (no dungeons, at least no formal ones).

Soul Hackers, Strange Journey, and SMt 4 are all what you are looking for, and overclocked/break record should still be incredibly enjoyable to you despite the grid vs random encounters.