Finally bought a 3DS, need game help (RPG mainly)

#11chestershadowPosted 6/20/2013 10:55:36 AM
djs7685 posted...
IMO every regular Pokemon is amazing (I haven't played any of the mystery dungeon, battle whatever games, or any of those off shoots of the original style Pokemon). You can't go wrong buying all of them. I'm currently playing Black 2 and I really love it, just as I enjoyed Black/White, HG/SS, and every other installment since playing Blue and Red when they came out. I'd never skip a Pokemon release, and if you're a big fan of the series I'd say just get both of them. Can't go wrong.

Also, Monster Hunter is on my list but I'm buying it on the Wii U instead. I need to look into Fire Emblem a bit more but from the looks of it, it may be another game that's not really the exact style that I'm looking for.

You seem to be wary of anything with a grid. I am only reccomending rpgs that involve grids in a way not like final fantasy tactics/tactics ogre (which is likely the style you don't like).

Trust me, youre most likely going to love both of those (FE:A and SMT Devil Survivor O & 2 BR) because theyre NOT like FF tactics, despite also having a grid. Totally different premises with the grid, and alot of people open up to grids after playing both of those recommendations.
#12djs7685(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2013 11:02:04 AM
Hmm well from everything I've looked up today with the help of all of the suggestions I'm likely going to be buying Tales of the Abyss and one of the SMT games. If I like it then at least I know I'll have 3 or 4 other games in the same series that can keep me busy until Pokemon X/Y come out.

Any other non-RPG "must haves" for the 3DS? When it comes to handhelds I don't really play a huge variety of genres, so it's somewhat difficult for me to pick out games sometimes. If I want to play RTS or FPS I'll just play on a PC, I play sports and fighting games on consoles, and then a majority of RPG, Action, and kids games with my son normally on console and some on PC. My fiance likes the Mario Kart, Party, etc. games so we do that on the Wii (even though I did still buy Mario Kart 7 with my 3DS). Sooo yeah, it doesn't leave much for my handheld gaming needs since most genres/game series are better off on PC or a console. Any suggestions would be great though!
#13chestershadowPosted 6/20/2013 1:52:48 PM
djs7685 posted...
Hmm well from everything I've looked up today with the help of all of the suggestions I'm likely going to be buying Tales of the Abyss and one of the SMT games. If I like it then at least I know I'll have 3 or 4 other games in the same series that can keep me busy until Pokemon X/Y come out.

Any other non-RPG "must haves" for the 3DS? When it comes to handhelds I don't really play a huge variety of genres, so it's somewhat difficult for me to pick out games sometimes. If I want to play RTS or FPS I'll just play on a PC, I play sports and fighting games on consoles, and then a majority of RPG, Action, and kids games with my son normally on console and some on PC. My fiance likes the Mario Kart, Party, etc. games so we do that on the Wii (even though I did still buy Mario Kart 7 with my 3DS). Sooo yeah, it doesn't leave much for my handheld gaming needs since most genres/game series are better off on PC or a console. Any suggestions would be great though!

Keep in mind, each SMT game is alittle different from eachother in some ways. There are little tricks in battle that others have, and others use something differently (Strange Journey has co-op attacks using demon alignments like light, neutral, dark, where games like Nocturne used a system where if you got a critical or used an ability the enemy has a weakness to, you got extra turns and the enemy lost turns). Overclocked and Break Record do something similar to Nocturne, although there are differences.

Themes (i.e. 7 deadly sins, critiques on humanity, angels vs humanity vs demons, moral and ethical dilemas, apocalyptic events) vary greatly from game to game as well.

I too didnt particularly like the tactics style before Overclocked, but Overclocked does it in a way I have yet to see any other rpg do, and that aspect alone makes it a must-buy in my opinion (even if its later on, but good luck finding a copy later. They can be a major pain in the ass to track down. If you order off ebay, becareful of Chinese Knockoffs, theyre usually a crappy, cheap movie licensed game reloaded with the game they're knocking off, but the rom is not typically the best quality). Its a literal hybrid of the two types of rpgs, with combat being exclusively the turn based style.
#14PerfectAkumaPosted 6/20/2013 1:57:24 PM(edited)
Now I will say this, depending on your area, there are lots of 3DS Groups in the world. There is an app called the StreetPass Mii Plaza, where you collect Mii's and partake in the minigames they have, which are fun. In the Find Mii games, the more amount of times you pass the same people, they raise a level, but it caps at 7. If you want to look for the closest group to you, visit http://streetpassnetwork.com
---
My Streetpass ID http://passid.ca/ss929 StreetpassNYC Group http://facebook.com/streetpassnyc
#15imsalingawayPosted 6/20/2013 2:11:01 PM
Personally I'd recommend that you get Tales of the Abyss, Fire Emblem: Awakening, SMT Overclocked, Etrian Odyssey 4 and Kingdom Hearts 3D. As for future games, you might wanna basically look at all the 3DS games Nintendo showed off at E3. They all look great, especially SMT4, LttP2 and Mario & Luigi Dream Team.

If you're looking for non-RPG game recommendations, look into Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Mario 3D Land and possibly Mario Kart 7.