Questions about going digital.

#1choco manPosted 6/22/2013 2:37:56 PM
Hey guys. Thinking of getting a 3DS and was wondering a few things.

1. Are all full retail games available on the Eshop for download? If not all, how about these? Mario 3D Land, MK 7, Fire Emblem, Code of Princess.

2. How much memory does the 3DS have? Can I store a lot of full retail games like the ones mentioned above?

3. What kind of external memory can I get to add to the 3DS if needed? I read it can have a 2GB sd card, but that would only be good for maybe two games.

Thanks for any help.
---
...l...i...t...t...l...e...m...o...n...e...y...
#2crimsonclaw111Posted 6/22/2013 2:46:18 PM
1. Most of the big first party titles are, 3rd parties are catching up too.

2. 3DS relies on SD cards for storage of eShop purchases, so your storage space is entirely dependent on your SD card. You should be able to store all of those on the included card of an XL easily.

3. The 3DS uses SD cards, and supports up to 128GB if formatted correctly. I use the 4GB card that came with my XL and still have plenty of room left with a couple eShop titles and MK7 and SM3DL.
---
XBL GT: roboitoam
3DS FC: 2981 - 5506 - 6390
#3dominatinggamerPosted 6/22/2013 2:48:50 PM
choco man posted...
Hey guys. Thinking of getting a 3DS and was wondering a few things.

1. Are all full retail games available on the Eshop for download? If not all, how about these? Mario 3D Land, MK 7, Fire Emblem, Code of Princess.

2. How much memory does the 3DS have? Can I store a lot of full retail games like the ones mentioned above?

3. What kind of external memory can I get to add to the 3DS if needed? I read it can have a 2GB sd card, but that would only be good for maybe two games.

Thanks for any help.

1. Some games are available but definitely not all. I believe all of those you listed should be available but I can't check at the moment (no wifi)

2/3. SD card is needed, and it takes cards up to 32gb(?). I don't think you save anything aside from firmware maybe to the system itself. Most/all games will be saved to your SD card.

Someone correct me where I'm wrong :p
---
With friends like you, who needs enemies?
#4choco man(Topic Creator)Posted 6/22/2013 2:55:27 PM
Very nice. Much appreciated. One thing I'm wondering is how many full retail games I can download. I have a DS, and at a glance I'd say I have just under 20 games. Could the 3DS hold around 20 full retail games?
---
#5Starwars4JPosted 6/22/2013 2:59:30 PM
It also has 1.5 GB on board storage, and comes with a 2GB SD card (regular model) or 4GB SD card (XL). Also it can take ANY size SD card, not just up to 32 GB.
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#6pacomcsqueakPosted 6/22/2013 3:00:01 PM
choco man posted...
Very nice. Much appreciated. One thing I'm wondering is how many full retail games I can download. I have a DS, and at a glance I'd say I have just under 20 games. Could the 3DS hold around 20 full retail games?

With the right SD card it can.
---
I7-2600k @3.40 GHz ll ASUS P8P67 LE ll 8 GB DDR3 ll 1 TB HD 7200 RPMs ll GB GTX 670 2 GB GDDR5
GT: Salsa Czar ll Steam: Salsa Czar ll 3DS: 1504-6744-3483
#7GoldenSun3DSPosted 6/22/2013 3:02:19 PM
1. Most 1st party retail games are on the eShop.

2. The 3DS has internal storage, but none of it can be used for 3DS software downloads. Only DSiWare games and apps can save to the system.

3. The regular 3DS comes with a 2GB SD Card and the XL comes with a 4GB. The 3DS supports up to 128GB SDXC, however, a brand new untouched SDXC will not work in a 3DS. You will have to reformat it to fat32 before it can be used in the 3DS.
---
Camelot asked for your support of Golden Sun 4! http://ipetitions.com/petition/operation-sunrise/
"Why? Because of... DESTINY? PAH ha ha!" - Basilio
#8crimsonclaw111Posted 6/22/2013 3:03:33 PM
choco man posted...

Yes. It depends on the games and SD card of course, but generally speaking there are only a few games that take tons of space.

Resident Evil Revelations and Metal Gear Solid 3 are the biggest space hogs I believe.
---
XBL GT: roboitoam
3DS FC: 2981 - 5506 - 6390
#9Thunderbird8Posted 6/22/2013 3:10:36 PM(edited)
Starwars4J posted...
It also has 1.5 GB on board storage, and comes with a 2GB SD card (regular model) or 4GB SD card (XL). Also it can take ANY size SD card, not just up to 32 GB.

Cards over 32GB must be reformatted and are not officially supported. 32GB is probably big enough anyway (at least for now).

Also, the system memory cannot be used to hold 3DS downloads, it can only hold DSiWare. The number of blocks allocated for this is similar (though slightly bigger) than the amount the DSi had.

crimsonclaw111 posted...
choco man posted...

Yes. It depends on the games and SD card of course, but generally speaking there are only a few games that take tons of space.

Resident Evil Revelations and Metal Gear Solid 3 are the biggest space hogs I believe.

MGS3 is not available in digital form. Resident Evil is 25,000 blocks, DKCR is 17,000 blocks and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is 14,000 blocks (sizes are approximate). These are the three biggest eShop games that I can think of. Most of the other retail as digital games that I have are in the 5000-7000 block range.
#10choco man(Topic Creator)Posted 6/22/2013 3:05:08 PM
Excellent. I'm pumped for getting the 3DS. Can't wait until pay day.
---