Should I get Fire Emblem or Monster Hunter 3?

#1Acro_Posted 6/23/2013 9:21:40 AM
I just purchased a 3DS and I'm getting Animal Crossing, however I'd like a slightly more intensive game to go along with that. I tried the GBA Fire Emblem and couldn't really get into it due to the difficulty, however that was many many years ago. The new one looks great and is getting stellar reviews.

Meanwhile Monster Hunter seems like a game that I will really get a lot of time out of. I've never played a monster hunter game before and I've been meaning to try out the series.

I'm pretty sure MH3 will last many hours, is Fire Emblem long as well?

Just looking for some insights to help me decide.
---
New Orleans Aints | Orlando Tragic | UCF Knights
#2EnlinoPosted 6/23/2013 9:26:02 AM
You'll get more playtime out of Monster Hunter, assuming you don't decide you hate it and quit partway. Personally, I would say it's the better game as well, but that depends more on what you're looking for in a game.
#3MarsfordPosted 6/23/2013 10:03:17 AM
Fire Emblem has content up the ass. I finished two runs in 110 hours or so (so many game overs on Lunatic...), and I haven't even touched a lot of the extra stuff.
---
Why are you NOT listening to White Skies when you could be listening to White Skies?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MDhdP94TKc
#4NeonYoshi11Posted 6/23/2013 11:49:20 AM
Yea I beat FE:A in about 52 hours I think.

And there is much more content still.
#5GiygasminionPosted 6/23/2013 12:27:28 PM
I'd go with Fire Emblem. I played Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii, and was consistently frustrated, not entertained. Plus, I can't imagine playing that game without online multiplayer.
---
NN ID: Achilles11 3DS FC: 0860-3339-6889
http://backloggery.com/schamman89
#6RoveliusPosted 6/23/2013 1:05:40 PM
Giygasminion posted...
I'd go with Fire Emblem. I played Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii, and was consistently frustrated, not entertained. Plus, I can't imagine playing that game without online multiplayer.

Monster Hunter is not easy to get into. Just because you didn't have the patience for it doesn't mean the TC won't.

However, MH being multiplayer-oriented, unless you have friends to play with Fire Emblem is your best option. MH3:U is only worth playing on Wii U in my opinion.
---
1 line break(s), 160 characters allowed
#7Legendary_MusasPosted 6/23/2013 1:12:29 PM
Both games are HUGE.

Do you prefer jumping into a game and just playing for the sake of fun or do you enjoy a narrative?

You can't go wrong with either game though, just depends on what you prefer action or turn based, both use strategy though.
---
A__A
(o'_.'o)
#8SpaceToasterPosted 6/23/2013 1:55:57 PM
The campaign for FE took me around 23 hours. I played on normal / classic and did a bit of grinding. After you finish it, you can grind relationships and do some extra side chapters. You can also fight and recruit characters from the other FEs, but I found it rather uninteresting because they have no dialogue and no relationships. The game has a lot of DLC, but I didn't buy any, so I dunno how good it is.

The story is kinda meh. It gets better near the end, but the bit in the middle feels pointless. But the dialogue and characters are enjoyable. The gameplay is classic FE with a few twists. I greatly enjoyed the pairup mechanic. The music is great too. It's pretty replayable. You can use entirely different characters, set up different supports, use different classes, try a different difficulty, etc.

I picked up MH3 a couple weeks ago and have around 18 hours on it, and am just scratching the surface. Just a note, don't judge the game based on the demo! The demo doesn't explain anything. I hated the demo but am loving the game. The actual game does a good job easing you into the game and explains a lot of mechanics well.

The music is also pretty enjoyable, and from what I've seen, a lot of monsters have different theme songs. Some of the dialogue is great too, which surprised me. The awful companion dialogue bugs me, but the Guild Sweetheart is pretty funny. There is just so much content in the game. Tons of quests, tons of different weapons, bosses, resources, crafting items, etc.

TL;DR They're both really good. You'll probably get more mileage out of MH3.
#9Acro_(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2013 2:08:23 PM
Thanks for the opinions everyone, I'm learning towards fire emblem for now, but I think I'll wait and see what I feel like playing after I get some time out of AC.
---
New Orleans Aints | Orlando Tragic | UCF Knights
#10YuniuninuniunPosted 6/23/2013 3:14:32 PM
I'm pretty sure you're going to hate both. Both games are fun because of their difficulty and you said you hated the GBA Fire Emblem because of its difficulty.

Just go buy a casual game, might I suggest any Nintendo game?

But if I had to suggest I'd suggest Monster Hunter, again because you hated the GBA Fire Emblem, although Monster Hunter is more difficult, in my opinion.
---
Playing: RaiderZ, Monster Hunter Freedom unite, Animal Crossing: New Leaf
3DS FC: 0259-1323-3296