Question about playing cartridge/digital game and save games

#1TDragon777Posted 6/23/2013 6:42:46 PM
Keep in mind I dont have a 3ds yet so the question im asking is: If my friend/brother lets me borrow his Animal crossing game and I play it on my 3ds, does it save to the internal memory, the SD card, or the cartridge?

Can you choose?

Pretty much I just want to be able to play his copy on my 3ds and have it save on my 3DS, then I will download the digital version and continue where I left off. That would be possible?
---
Name: Ant / FC: 1633-3850-8933 - BRAWL
#2Tzuba12Posted 6/23/2013 6:51:06 PM
Cart saves on the cart. Digital saves on the sd card.

No that would not work.
---
3DS: 0146-8850-9059
Steam: Tzuba
#3keyblader1985Posted 6/23/2013 8:46:26 PM
How do people not know how cartridges work?
---
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/keyblader1985/keyblader.jpg
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai
#4RocketZXbluePosted 6/23/2013 9:17:21 PM
cartridge saves to cartridge, unless the game has more than one save slot you're screwed.
IIRC the games that have more than one save file:
-Kid Icarus uprising (3 of them)*
-Fire Emblem Awakening (3 of them)* though note that some data is stored across all saves
-Luigi's Mansion (3 of them)
-FF theattrhythm (3 files)*
-Donkey kong country returns (3 i think?)
-zelda ocarina of time
-new mario bros 2 (three of them)*
-mario 3d land (3)
-Tales of the Abyss (4 of them)
-Kingdom hearts 3D (2 of them)*
*note that if you have 2 3DSs you can "Streetpass" your own data,
for example kid icarus you put a gem to streetpass, put cartridge in another 3DS, pass yourself, though in KI:U's case you can get "two" passes by putting the cartridge BACK in the first one and recieving the data AGAIN.
this applies to most streetpass games with >1 save file, FE:awakening you can recruit YOURSELF as a character so there's two copies of you! (with one being the MAIN character the other a scapegoat who won't cause a game over upon dying)
also animal crossing lets you have 4 "residents" on one game but you share the same "town" and the first person is the "mayor" of said town.
---
3DS FC: 4098 - 2370 - 5638 looking for 3DS friends PM ME.
Admin of StreetPass San Jose Facebook page.
#5chongwanhsingPosted 6/23/2013 9:18:46 PM
keyblader1985 posted...
How do people not know how cartridges work?

Well... not all portable consoles work that way.
For Vita, even if you play using cartridge, for some games save data it will be on the Vita memory card and not on the cartridge (the Vita box description will tell you where does it save to).
---
My EBA "ALL 300" "Jumpin' Jack Flash" multi-screen video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvLCnKqYWzA
#6keyblader1985Posted 6/23/2013 9:28:42 PM
Well, the Vita is an exception. I might be missing something, but literally every other cartridge I know of that can save does so right on the cart. Since the 1980's.
---
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/keyblader1985/keyblader.jpg
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai
#7Thunderbird8Posted 6/24/2013 1:23:04 AM
3DS games can save some save data (called Extra Data) to the SD card, but the for game cards, the actual game save is on the game card itself. It sounds like the Vita is similar in that regard (I don't have one though).