Who thinks they should drop one of the screens next gen?

#1Arn544Posted 6/24/2013 2:17:49 AM
I love my 3ds but honestly I can't think of one game where a second screen was really needed.

Here's a list of pros if the next Nintendo handheld had one screen:

Lower production costs -> Remaining screen has higher quality, improved graphics, battery life.
No annoying split in the screen when the game is displayed on both.
Joysticks could actually protrude a little bit
Product would be smaller

The given screen could be a touchscreen like with the Vita, or they could sell an attachment screen as an add on.
I mean really, in a perfect world the 3DS would have the power/design of the Vita but with Nintendo's games, at least I would prefer that way.
#290sRetroGamingPosted 6/24/2013 2:23:45 AM
If it does i know it better be at least 480p and have optional 3D along with zero "ghosting". 720p or better yet 1080p should be the standard for Nintendo's next handheld.
---
MKW FC: 3008-8379-7294/3DS FC: 1375-7268-6996/http://www.youtube.com/user/OldSchoolGaming4Life
#3Blue_KatarnPosted 6/24/2013 5:01:25 AM
Personally, I am more comfortable with one screen devices which is a reason I'd get a Vita in the future (games willing). Dual screens can be nice but more often than not they're just filler. Even a game like Ghost Trick which I felt really made use of the two screens seems to have faithfully ported to iOS.
#4IHeartMetroidPosted 6/24/2013 5:47:12 AM
"I love my 3ds but honestly I can't think of one game where a second screen was really needed."

Then you haven't been looking.

Games like Trace Memory, Etrian Oddysey, Hotel Dusk, Last Window and a plethora of others would become almost unplayable without that second screen. Not to mention the fact that it takes the myraid clutter of HUD nonsense (maps, status bars, etc) and frees up the main screen for immersive action. Oh, and being able to use simple screen taps for quick change buttons is fantastic, instead of having to dedicate buttons to it.

I hope Nintendo never has the dumb idea to eliminate the second screen. Ever.
---
Currently ignoring 5 users.
If I haven't responded to a post directly addressed to me, that's probably why.
#5KurenoPosted 6/24/2013 5:51:10 AM
If anything, I would prefer both screens being the same size. Not sure I can see them shying away from a dual screen format.
---
Loading new signature. Please wait.
#6stargazer64Posted 6/24/2013 6:00:28 AM
IHeartMetroid posted...
"I love my 3ds but honestly I can't think of one game where a second screen was really needed."

Games like Trace Memory, Etrian Oddysey, Hotel Dusk, Last Window and a plethora of others would become almost unplayable without that second screen. Not to mention the fact that it takes the myraid clutter of HUD nonsense (maps, status bars, etc) and frees up the main screen for immersive action. Oh, and being able to use simple screen taps for quick change buttons is fantastic, instead of having to dedicate buttons to it.

Oh noes! My virtual novel games will be unplayable without a second screen!

I might even have to press a single button to take me to a menu screen instead of looking at my second screen.
---
Official Vita board troll list: mike_411, Mahatma Gandhi, George W. Bush, Mr Hyde, the Goo Goo Dolls, Dikembe Mutombo's finger, Superfrog, Robert Downey Jr, Alf
#7Lord_FroodPosted 6/24/2013 6:07:46 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#8themegaman7Posted 6/24/2013 6:08:40 AM
Keep the second screen, but get rid of the touchscreen control.
---
3DS FC: 0817-3836-3544
- The proud mayor of Toilet and official Doppelganger of SMT IV boards -
#9KaitaNuvaPosted 6/24/2013 6:31:36 AM
stargazer64 posted...
IHeartMetroid posted...

Oh noes! My virtual novel games will be unplayable without a second screen!

I might even have to press a single button to take me to a menu screen instead of looking at my second screen.

Go play N64 Water Temple and then 3DS Water Temple and then talk. Until then, whatever you say is invalid.
---
Rosewill Challenger | HannsG 21.5" | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 @3.7GHz | Sapphire HD 6850 1GB @875/1075 | 4gb ddr2 667 | Corsair 400w
#10IHeartMetroidPosted 6/24/2013 6:40:20 AM(edited)
"Oh noes! My virtual novel games will be unplayable without a second screen!"

None of the games I mentioned are "Virtual Novel" or "Visual Novel" games.

See, that's how I know I'm on the right side of a debate- when the opposing side must resort to straw men and assumptive silliness. I can't ever imagine trying to get through EO while having to constantly pull down a menu, pull it back up, take a step, pull it down, write a map note, pull it down, pull it up.

These arguments against a second screen are so incredibly flawed that it's borderline ridiculous- almost as much as the notion of eliminating the touch screen portion of it.

Edit:

I just noticed that the person I was responding to is StarGazer, a perpetual stalker of mine on here.

I thought I put him on ignore already?

In any case, to put it in context, this person has been following me around the forums for months, making insane and batty arguments in a silly attempt to draw out long, inane fights on the forums.

I'm going to make sure he goes on ignore now for good.

---
Currently ignoring 5 users.
If I haven't responded to a post directly addressed to me, that's probably why.