[POLL] Which Shin Megami Tensei title do I start out with?

#1DarthFrozanousPosted 6/25/2013 10:54:55 AM
Which Shin Megami Tensei title do I start out with? - Results (40 votes)
SMT 4
55% (22 votes)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
35% (14 votes)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
10% (4 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I have never played a game in the series, not even the persona series..

Which is the most noob friendly, i.e a good starting point in the series?
---
i5-3570k @ 3.4ghz | HiS 7950 BOOST 3GB | OCZ 256GB SSD / 18 GB RAM | 2 TB Barracuda | 750GB Hitachi | P8B75-V | Blackwidow Ultimate
GameFAQS all day everyday
#2Jati_no_ReiPosted 6/25/2013 11:09:33 AM
I voted for 4 because its part of the main series, though it might could be argued Devil Survivor Overclocked might be a better choice for noobness. The main question is: Do you enjoy intense dungeon crawlers with a good story more, or SRPGs with a pretty good story? They both have multiple endings/paths, and I'm not sure which will be the harder game. All SMT games tend to be on the harder end of the scale, especially when compared to the bulk of JRPGs.

Also, I can't recommend these games highly enough:
SMT:Nocturne
SMT:Digital Devil Saga 1+2
SMT:Persona 1, 2 pts 1+2, 3 and 4
SMT:Strange Journey
---
Playing: Dragon Quest IV (DS) & various other games.
Official Ganesha of the SMT IV board.
#3DarthFrozanous(Topic Creator)Posted 6/25/2013 11:11:43 AM
The story is the most important part for me. Gameplay comes second however important. I'm not a huge fan of the whole first person rpg feeling. Idk perhaps this series isnt for me, but ive been wanting a new portable rpg since I beat Tales of the Abyss a few months ago
---
i5-3570k @ 3.4ghz | HiS 7950 BOOST 3GB | OCZ 256GB SSD / 18 GB RAM | 2 TB Barracuda | 750GB Hitachi | P8B75-V | Blackwidow Ultimate
#4HermeticJusticePosted 6/25/2013 11:13:11 AM
Are you familiar with RPG games in general?

SMT IV is a good place to start, at worst you can have it on Beginner and it will be too Easy, or you could have it on Normal and it will be too Hard
---
The official Ongyo-Ki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
The official Lea of the Kingdom Hearts III board
#5DarthFrozanous(Topic Creator)Posted 6/25/2013 11:18:25 AM
HermeticJustice posted...
Are you familiar with RPG games in general?

SMT IV is a good place to start, at worst you can have it on Beginner and it will be too Easy, or you could have it on Normal and it will be too Hard

no no I'm very familiar with RPGs I've played most of the Square titles, Dragon Quest, Mana series , a few of tri-ace and other various but never played a game like SMT before. The first person view dungeon thing is new to me. Never played Etrian Odyssey style. I bought the 1st one @ gamestop for $2.00 but haven't really given it much time.
---
#6DynamicJumpIuffPosted 6/25/2013 11:26:25 AM(edited)
Etrian Odyssey IV has a very good demo on the eshop. If you want to test the first person dungeon crawling waters, you wouldn't lose anything from trying it.

That being said, I voted for SMTIV. Beginner mode sounds good if you're new. Plus if it seems too easy, you can turn the difficulty back up to normal any time.

Also, if you've played and enjoyed the DQ games, you should be good with the 3rd Person exploration and First Person battles.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#7DarthFrozanous(Topic Creator)Posted 6/25/2013 11:31:19 AM
DynamicJumpIuff posted...
Etrian Odyssey IV has a very good demo on the eshop. If you want to test the first person dungeon crawling waters, you wouldn't lose anything from trying it.

That being said, I voted for SMTIV. Beginner mode sounds good if you're new. Plus if it seems too easy, you can turn the difficulty back up to normal any time.

Also, if you've played and enjoyed the DQ games, you should be good with the 3rd Person exploration and First Person battles.

So it's not first person exploration? O I thought it was. Are any of them that way? I tried etrian 4 demo and didn't really care for it
---
#8HermeticJusticePosted 6/25/2013 11:36:26 AM
DarthFrozanous posted...
DynamicJumpIuff posted...

So it's not first person exploration? O I thought it was. Are any of them that way? I tried etrian 4 demo and didn't really care for it

3rd person exploring and 1st person battling
---
The official Ongyo-Ki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
The official Lea of the Kingdom Hearts III board
#9DarthFrozanous(Topic Creator)Posted 6/25/2013 11:40:47 AM
and what about the other two?

Story good or garbage and are they 1st/first or 3rd/3rd or 3rd/first?
---
#10DynamicJumpIuffPosted 6/25/2013 11:49:38 AM(edited)
Soul Hackers has a pretty good story with pretty great characters. It's entirely first-person.

Overclocked has a great story and relatively deep characters and is an SRPG similar to Fire Emblem but when you engage enemy troops, it turns into first-person.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma