Corrupted SD Card Help

#1EarthwormJim33Posted 6/29/2013 8:57:38 PM
Hey everyone, was wondering if anyone could help me out.

Today I got an error message saying "System save data management corrupted" then it prompts me to reset my SD card.

I backed up the SD after it corrupted but before resetting. I've tried reformatting the card, using a different card, going through and deleting 1 file at a time (it seems the dbs file is the corrupt one) but nothing seems to work. If I get rid of the dbs folder I don't get the error but it says there's no game data.

The only game I'm really concerned about is Monster Hunter. I had 230 hours in on that game and it appears it's gone.

If anyone has experienced this and actually knows a fix I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance for any help.
#2vectorman5Posted 6/29/2013 9:01:02 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, but you should always keep a copy of your files someplace.
---
Five years ago we were sick of all the Mega Man games. Now we can't get one to finish development.
#3HibikiRushPosted 6/29/2013 9:10:20 PM
I don't have knowledge of the 3DS file system structure, but just wanted to say sorry to hear about what happened. I'm sure it's an awful feeling to potentially lose that much progress.

I am curious however if copying an SD card onto your PC would even be a safeguard against this? I know that games like MH3G and AC cannot do the SD card save back up from the system. Would the 3DS even read a SD card that had been copied over from a PC, or does it embed some sort of data that only the original card contains and will not read a copied card?
#4EarthwormJim33(Topic Creator)Posted 6/29/2013 9:19:29 PM
Yeah I actually keep a save file backed up on my desktop at home, but the last time I was home was early April (I've been in Afghanistan for the past 3 months). Didn't even think to back up my save on my laptop until this happened :-/
#5beebarbPosted 6/29/2013 9:26:22 PM
EarthwormJim33 posted...
Hey everyone, was wondering if anyone could help me out.

Today I got an error message saying "System save data management corrupted" then it prompts me to reset my SD card.

I backed up the SD after it corrupted but before resetting. I've tried reformatting the card, using a different card, going through and deleting 1 file at a time (it seems the dbs file is the corrupt one) but nothing seems to work. If I get rid of the dbs folder I don't get the error but it says there's no game data.

The only game I'm really concerned about is Monster Hunter. I had 230 hours in on that game and it appears it's gone.

If anyone has experienced this and actually knows a fix I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Unfortunately, you're completely screwed unless you used the save data backup feature introduced in the 6.0.0-12 update.

Once a SD card is corrupted to the extent yours seems to be, there isn't much that can be done.

However, you may be able to fool the backup utility when you get a new SD card. This will be easier if Monster Hunter was the last game you played. Please note this is only theoretical, and untested.

With your corrupted SD card (or the backup of it before reformatting), open the following folder on your computer:

Nintendo 3DS > (random character sequence) > (random character sequence) > title

Then from there dig through the folders until you find a file most likely named "00000001.sav" with a modification date matching when you last saved your game in Monster Hunter.

Back up this file and everything else in the "title" folder to a safe place on your PC. Best keep the Monster Hunter save seperate.

When you have the new SD card in your 3DS, and have downloaded all the content again, start a new game in Monster Hunter (this is only temporary).

Exit Monster hunter after saving for the first time.

Create a backup of the new save data with the Save Data Backup tool, making sure Monster Hunter is the only one you back up. System Settings > Data Management > 3DS > Save Data Backup.

Turn off your 3DS, eject the SD card and put it in your computer.

Go to the following folder on the SD card:
Nintendo 3DS > (random character sequence) > (random character sequence) > backup

There should be a folder called '000' and in that another folder with a random character sequence.

Overwrite the "00000001.sav" file in there with the save file you copied to your PC earlier.

Take the SD card out of your computer and put it in your 3DS.

Go to System Settings > Data Management > 3DS > Save Data Backup and choose the 'Restore' option this time.

If it works, you should have your save game back.
---
I gave up and did the 3DS transfer anyway...
3DS XL FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 0047-4149-5185 / White FC: 0348-0626-6780
#6HibikiRushPosted 6/29/2013 9:32:23 PM
MH3G is incompatible with the SD card save back up, so I don't think the system would even be able to restore a file...
#7beebarbPosted 6/29/2013 9:38:22 PM(edited)
HibikiRush posted...
MH3G is incompatible with the SD card save back up, so I don't think the system would even be able to restore a file...

In that case this may work instead, provided they only download Monster Hunter to the new SD card:

Go into the subfolders of the 'title' folder on the new SD card and look for a "00000001.sav" and overwrite that file with the backup made following the early steps of my prior process up until the start and save of a New Game in Monster Hunter.
---
I gave up and did the 3DS transfer anyway...
3DS XL FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 0047-4149-5185 / White FC: 0348-0626-6780
#8EarthwormJim33(Topic Creator)Posted 6/29/2013 9:42:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I'll probably have to try the "redownload and pull the backed up save into the folder new folder" route. Though downloading the game may have to wait until I get back to the US. (Tried downloading it today. After 30 minutes, 1% downloaded.) ...The Wifi's pretty weak
#9The Blob2000Posted 6/29/2013 9:53:50 PM(edited)
Something like this happened to me (a single file on my SD card had become corrupt and Windows was not letting me backup the card).
So, I fixed it by doing this (make sure your SD card is hooked up to your PC with the files you want fixed on it):
Click Start
type "cmd"
right-click cmd.exe and choose Run as Administrator
In the black box, type "chkdsk J: /R" and press enter.
J: is the drive letter for the SD card. You should use the drive letter that is appropriate for your computer.

This will do a check for errors on the card and attempt to repair any corrupted files. After doing this, I was able to backup all of my important save data.

beebarb's suggestion may be the better way to go but it's always worth checking to see if Windows can fix the SD when one file or folder becomes corrupt. In your case, you were able to actually make a backup of most of the important stuff but in my case I couldn't even do that until the card had been repaired.
---
Women just want to take your money and eat all your raisin bread.
Parking meters! And you're walking around! Ha ha ha That's so funny.
#10GoldenSun3DSPosted 6/29/2013 11:41:34 PM(edited)
The Blob2000 posted...
Something like this happened to me (a single file on my SD card had become corrupt and Windows was not letting me backup the card).
So, I fixed it by doing this (make sure your SD card is hooked up to your PC with the files you want fixed on it):
Click Start
type "cmd"
right-click cmd.exe and choose Run as Administrator
In the black box, type "chkdsk J: /R" and press enter.
J: is the drive letter for the SD card. You should use the drive letter that is appropriate for your computer.

This will do a check for errors on the card and attempt to repair any corrupted files. After doing this, I was able to backup all of my important save data.

beebarb's suggestion may be the better way to go but it's always worth checking to see if Windows can fix the SD when one file or folder becomes corrupt. In your case, you were able to actually make a backup of most of the important stuff but in my case I couldn't even do that until the card had been repaired.

Or you can just right click the SD Card in My Computer, click properties, go to the tools tab, and pick the check for errors option.
---
Camelot asked for your support of Golden Sun 4! http://ipetitions.com/petition/operation-sunrise/
"Why? Because of... DESTINY? PAH ha ha!" - Basilio