Do I have to have a Club Nintendo account to download a game like PSN?

#1gogogosuperPosted 7/1/2013 7:56:50 PM
I've been downloading demos right and left from the eShop but now I am thinking of downloading a full game. I got a 16gb card so why not. But I got a couple of questions.

1. Do I have to have a Club Nintendo account? I heard that it is not like the PSN account where you HAVE to have an account before you can do anything. Or is it?

2. So the games are TIED to my XL...so if I were to Delete Account on my 3DS and move on to a XL, any games I have brought will be gone forever?

3. Can I use my PC to backup my saves, or more importantly, the games I brought from the eShop? Or is System Transfer the best/only bet?

Help. I tried using the search options on GameFaqs but nothing has fully answered all of my inner questions. And I don't want to call customer service.
---
THIS IS MERICA, AND I AM AN AMERICAN. RESPECT AMERICA AND YOU WILL BE ALL RIGHT.
#2Baha05Posted 7/1/2013 8:01:35 PM
gogogosuper posted...
I've been downloading demos right and left from the eShop but now I am thinking of downloading a full game. I got a 16gb card so why not. But I got a couple of questions.

1. Do I have to have a Club Nintendo account? I heard that it is not like the PSN account where you HAVE to have an account before you can do anything. Or is it?

2. So the games are TIED to my XL...so if I were to Delete Account on my 3DS and move on to a XL, any games I have brought will be gone forever?

3. Can I use my PC to backup my saves, or more importantly, the games I brought from the eShop? Or is System Transfer the best/only bet?

Help. I tried using the search options on GameFaqs but nothing has fully answered all of my inner questions. And I don't want to call customer service.

1. No you don't need an account (well there is no account anyhow) Club Nintendo accounts linked to the eShop are only used for surveys

2. Yes games are tied to the system but you can do system transfers from the 3Ds to the XL

3. I'm pretty sure yes to any downloaded content. The 3DS also features back up saves for some digital games.
---
"I will take the advice of PS3 over you, any day of the week. Especially, when you state that all aspect ratios are the same." Some Crazy Guy
#3keyblader1985Posted 7/1/2013 8:02:07 PM
You don't have to have a Club Nintendo account; in fact I'd say the more casual 3DS owner doesn't even know or care about Club Nintendo. (Course, they might not use the eshop either.)

And downloads are tied to your system. You can transfer your downloads between systems, but you can't share the same downloads simultaneously. If you delete your eshop account, not even backing up your games/saves on your PC will allow you to play them again; they're gone for good.
---
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/keyblader1985/keyblader.jpg
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai
#4Mr StickPosted 7/2/2013 1:11:17 AM
gogogosuper posted...

1. You do NOT have to have a Club Nintendo account. Club Nintendo gives you surveys on their website, which you can use to get coins. The coins can be used to get more games for free. The benefit to having a Club Nintendo account is that if something happens to your 3DS, you are more likely to be able to get your games (or at least your funds to rebuy the games) back, since Nintendo can confirm the games you bought on that 3DS.

2. The games are tied directly to the 3DS or XL. If you delete the account, you lose your games. If you move your account to another system, the account is on that system (with the games), and the original no longer has access to any of it.

3. You can back up saves of almost every game (you cannot back up Animal Crossing, certain apps like StreetPass, or DSiWare saves), as well as the games. However, they are still only useful to that system with that account. Saves may be useful for any 3DS (not sure), but the actual games would not work if you tried putting them on a different 3DS. You would have to do a System Transfer.

Also worth noting, you can only System Transfer 5 times (I believe), apparently (as of right now). There really should be no reason you'd need to transfer that many times, though.
---
~ I'm Always Fighting the Gravity ~
360: MoldyClay87 ;; 3DS: 3050-8737-8491