Looking for a game with a good story but...

#1Craig--aPosted 7/10/2013 2:19:48 AM
... I dont really want to have to play any previous entries in a series if possible (if they arent on DS/3DS)

I've been looking at a few RPGs and 999 on the original ds looks good but its a pain to find in the UK.

Which game in your opinion has the best story on the 3DS/DS?
#2nonexistingheroPosted 7/10/2013 2:34:14 AM
DS: Phoenix Wright series. Though there's 3 games. Don't need to have played other games, but playing them in order is recommended. As a whole every game has a great story and everything together makes it a superb story. Probably one of the most enjoyable ones I've seen in a video game.

Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly bride doesn't exactly have a complex plot. But it does have a very nice one. It has a charming world with charming characters and you follow a young boy throughout his life and everything that comes with it. He starts off as a young boy travelling with his father, but at the end you'll be playing with a married man with children. You can pick your wife as well. Won't say more about the plot, but it's a very nice story to play through.

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals: The plot is a bit straightforward. But it's told in a good way and has some great and emotional moments. Some parts are done better in the original Lufia 2, others are done better in this re-imagining.

Final Fantasy IV: You can also get this on Android and iOS by now. Great, challenging RPG with a great story. A big improvement on the original, IMO.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#3JadebellPosted 7/10/2013 3:30:15 AM
IMO Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective and the Ace Attorney series have the best stories. The Ace Attorney games should ideally be played in order, but all four of the main series games are on DS. The fifth game, Dual Destinies, is due to come out later this year in English on 3DS.

I wasn't that impressed with 999, there's no option to skip sections you've already completed and that gets very tedious very fast. But anyway, you can find it on amazon uk, from a third party seller called global express (that's where I bought my copy of 999 from).

As for RPGs, Radiant Historia is good, but it can be difficult to find as it's another US import. I also agree with the poster above me about Dragon Quest V. It doesn't have a particularly complex story, but it is fun to play through and has a nice charm to it.
#4Craig--a(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2013 3:35:37 AM
I actually have the Phoenix Wright games and Ghost trick, I really enjoyed them :-)

Is Dragon Quest V much better than XI? I almost bought XI the other day actually because it was really cheap.

I think i will have a look for Dragon Quest V, 999 does still interest me though as does Radiant Historia but are they worth the 20 to import? I could buy a new 3DS game for a little more.
#5LightHawKnightPosted 7/10/2013 4:08:53 AM
Craig--a posted...
I actually have the Phoenix Wright games and Ghost trick, I really enjoyed them :-)

Is Dragon Quest V much better than XI? I almost bought XI the other day actually because it was really cheap.

I think i will have a look for Dragon Quest V, 999 does still interest me though as does Radiant Historia but are they worth the 20 to import? I could buy a new 3DS game for a little more.

V's story eats and craps out XI's story.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#6nonexistingheroPosted 7/10/2013 4:18:09 AM
DQIX has more to do in the game than DQV, but DQV has a much better story and characters. IMO, a better world overal as well. DQIX is still an RPG with great core mechanics and a lot to do, but the story is pretty garbage. You can design all of your characters, but the only character that matters in the story is your main character (and he's not very interesting either).

If you want story, go for DQV. But if you happen to desire for an RPG that can last a very long time, DQIX is a good choice.
---
#7kenff6Posted 7/10/2013 4:23:42 AM
Stay away from Dragon Quest V. It doesn't allow gay marriages - you're forced to marry a woman. It's a very homophobic game.
#8nonexistingheroPosted 7/10/2013 4:32:25 AM
...well, you can choose to marry a woman that acts like a man.
---
#9supremeblasterPosted 7/10/2013 4:37:21 AM
FE:A. You can find the only FE it's chronologically related to(Shadow Dragon) on the DS.
#10Petman8246Posted 7/10/2013 4:58:45 AM
You're all going to think I'm crazy, but Kid Icarus: Uprising. The first game had a very minimal plot (Medusa is bad, kill her, etc.). Uprising, however, has a really good story! The main game itself, if you plow straight through it without looking for hidden stuff or retrying stages on higher difficulties, takes about 10-13 hours to complete.

However, the replay value is immense since you can go back to stages and play them on any difficulty between 1.0 and 9.0 (including things like 6.2 or 5.4). The dialogue is awesome, the music is amazing, and the story has a great feel to it, even if it isn't taken very seriously.