Is it true Reggie doesn't like Mother series!?

#11xellos667Posted 7/12/2013 10:56:28 AM(edited)
Why not! Bernie Stolar thought American hated RPG, thus we never got SHining Force III Scenario 2 and 3 on the Saturn.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?307303-Sega-Myths-Bernie-Stolar-Banned-RPGs-on-the-Saturn

Quite frankly, there may be a tons of reason why it was never translated. Not just because of one person. SO.....if one day you want a REAL official Mother 3 release (on the Wii U or 3DS VC for exemple), I'm suggesting you to buy a Wii U and Earthbound when it's realeased. Prove Nintendo that like every Earthbound vocal fans, you're ready to drop TONS OF MONEY for your beloved series. Don't be a chicken about it. After all, fans of Earthbound whined for so long for an Earthbound re-release, owning a Wii U is really not a big deal after all those years :)
---
My 3DS digital games collection:
http://www.backloggery.com/drac_mazoku
#12GloryChaosPosted 7/12/2013 10:55:17 AM
21_21 posted...
ArcRay20 posted...
i heard it was because he had a bad run with the series in the past.
something to do with him being responsible for the ad campaign for Earthbound and it failed, so he was responsible. and that was the reason he didnt like it.

it sounds stupid either way.

Holy s*** Reggie should feel ashamed of that ad campaign XD

Reggie joined Nintendo in 2003.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#13Bahamut001Posted 7/12/2013 10:55:24 AM
ArcRay20 posted...
i heard it was because he had a bad run with the series in the past.
something to do with him being responsible for the ad campaign for Earthbound and it failed, so he was responsible. and that was the reason he didnt like it.

it sounds stupid either way.

Reggie wasn't working at Nintendo until 2003, and Earthbound was out in America in 1995.
---
...Eh.
#1421_21(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 10:55:55 AM
I already planned on buying Earthbound since day 1 it was announced for WiiU VC in hopes of having that as a launchpad to release Mother 3!
---
Currently playing:
Virtue's Last Reward, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Gods Eater Burst, and Jeanne D'arc
#15AkaimizuPosted 7/12/2013 10:58:04 AM
xellos667 posted...
Why not! Bernie Stolar thought American hated RPG, thus we never got SHining Force III Scenario 2 and 3 on the Saturn.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?307303-Sega-Myths-Bernie-Stolar-Banned-RPGs-on-the-Saturn

Quite frankly, there may be a tons of reason why it was never translated. Not just because of one person. SO.....if one day you want a REAL official Mother 3 release (on the Wii U or 3DS VC for exemple), I'm suggesting you to buy a Wii U and Earthbound when it's realeased. Prove Nintendo that like every Earthbound vocal fans, you're ready to drop TONS OF MONEY for your beloved series. Don't be a chicken about it.

Hmm. And I always thought the reason we didn't get Scenario 2 or 3 on Saturn was because it would've taken an effort past the deadline of them printing more games. Remember that Shining Force III Scenario 1 was one of the 4 or 5 last games before SEGA US closed up shop for new Saturn games. They advertised all of them together as the last send off. One of them being Panzer Dragon Saga.
---
Check out my Animal Crossing Remixes at:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzIIDVp2_oUgB4EqH5IpevzwWlMxKMPvy
#16xellos667Posted 7/12/2013 11:07:38 AM(edited)
Akaimizu posted...
xellos667 posted...

Quite frankly, there may be a tons of reason why it was never translated. Not just because of one person. SO.....if one day you want a REAL official Mother 3 release (on the Wii U or 3DS VC for exemple), I'm suggesting you to buy a Wii U and Earthbound when it's realeased. Prove Nintendo that like every Earthbound vocal fans, you're ready to drop TONS OF MONEY for your beloved series. Don't be a chicken about it.

Hmm. And I always thought the reason we didn't get Scenario 2 or 3 on Saturn was because it would've taken an effort past the deadline of them printing more games. Remember that Shining Force III Scenario 1 was one of the 4 or 5 last games before SEGA US closed up shop for new Saturn games. They advertised all of them together as the last send off. One of them being Panzer Dragon Saga.

My post was more an ironic one to show how easy it is to blame one person, and Bernie Stolar was an easy person to hate back then if you were a Sega fanboy, even if there was no real reason to do so :) Quite franckly, I just took the Scenario 2 & 3 for exemple because they popped first in my head and my foggy memory of my past, and I know I was quite angry about those when I was younger But surely the whole deadline thing is a more rational reason :)
---
My 3DS digital games collection:
http://www.backloggery.com/drac_mazoku
#17AkaneJonesPosted 7/12/2013 5:04:08 PM
Face_Lost posted...
It's not that great honestly. I played it last year having heard all the hype about it since forever, and it's a cute game and has a neat environment and mood and great music, but the plot and characters are totally thin and the gameplay is nearly excruciating.

If this is true though that blows cause I think the other games at least deserve a release here.

The value has been lost. The problem is if you didn't play it when it came out, allot of the value was lost. As some one who owns the original from rent, then buy, back on the SNES, I can tell you that would effect a game like Earthbound. The point is Earthbound didn't get thrown back in the bin with 7th Saga or Paladin's Quest. It wasn't avoided all together like Temco's Secret of the Stars. Nor was it bought on blind faith of awesome the was Chrono Trigger was. The simple fact is it surpassed classics like Lufia & the Fortress of Doom and Illusion of Gaia by actually becoming part of my cart collection. And lets face it for me not actually owning a copy of Lufia is weird(should have just gotten the rental copy when they got rid of it).

What's the point, you might ask. Well that fact is you have passed RPGs into the PS1 era and beyond. You didn't experience a time when a modern setting RPG was unheard of, Final Fantasy 7 already spoiled that. You didn't experience a game where it was unique that so many random encounters has unique music rather than 1 battle theme, that only possibly changes if you got half way. You didn't experience a time when the fact that random encounter on the appear on the map was actually new. Never mind a system when such weak old encounters were auto defeated.

It was also a light-hearted goofy RPG that was like merger between 1950s B movie Sci-fi & Cavlin & Hobbs, there is something deep under the surface but if you don't get it you still like it anyway. RPG had limited text them, there were no pretentious Xenosaga style RPGs with book like dialog. So we took the game at face value, where battle attacks served no purpose other than to produce amusing dialog read out during battle. It's not about a game that plays mostly like Dragon Quests on the NES(down to the crappy item storage system). It's what it did at the time.
#18toad133Posted 7/12/2013 5:09:33 PM
http://nintendoeverything.com/reggie-is-a-mother-3-fan-would-like-to-see-it-localized/

“I’m a big “Mother” fan. I have to set the record straight on this topic, because I have seen all of the hate comments. I’m a big “Mother” fan. Huge “Mother” fan. I would love to see “Mother” localized in our market. In fact, I’ve talked to [Nintendo president] Mr. Iwata about it because this is a game he has some history with. [pauses] But it is not on our announcement schedule. [laughs]…I am a fan of a lot of different products that aren’t on our announcement schedule…Maybe I’m going to burst some people’s bubbles, but just because I’m the president of NOA doesn’t mean that every game that I love gets published in our territory. We run a business. And so, in order for a title to be published, the development, localization, launch, volume, all needs to make economic sense.”

So, he loves the series, but it never makes sense from a business point of view that it will make a profit to localise it (GBA was all but dead when Mother 3 came out, Earthbound bombed horribly many years ago).

Thankfully the VC finally gives a chance to show there is money's worth in bringing Earthbound to the west again.
---
Not changing this sig till Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is announced for VC.
Started: 16th of August 2008 13:27pm.
#1921_21(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2013 5:12:36 PM
toad133 posted...
http://nintendoeverything.com/reggie-is-a-mother-3-fan-would-like-to-see-it-localized/

“I’m a big “Mother” fan. I have to set the record straight on this topic, because I have seen all of the hate comments. I’m a big “Mother” fan. Huge “Mother” fan. I would love to see “Mother” localized in our market. In fact, I’ve talked to [Nintendo president] Mr. Iwata about it because this is a game he has some history with. [pauses] But it is not on our announcement schedule. [laughs]…I am a fan of a lot of different products that aren’t on our announcement schedule…Maybe I’m going to burst some people’s bubbles, but just because I’m the president of NOA doesn’t mean that every game that I love gets published in our territory. We run a business. And so, in order for a title to be published, the development, localization, launch, volume, all needs to make economic sense.”

So, he loves the series, but it never makes sense from a business point of view that it will make a profit to localise it (GBA was all but dead when Mother 3 came out, Earthbound bombed horribly many years ago).

Thankfully the VC finally gives a chance to show there is money's worth in bringing Earthbound to the west again.

Wow, he actually likes the series? Glad that misconception is out of the way. Anyway, at this point, though, it does make sense to release Mother 3, what with GBA games starting to appear in VC soon and whatnot.
---
Currently playing:
Virtue's Last Reward, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Gods Eater Burst, and Jeanne D'arc
#20SMASHKING84Posted 7/12/2013 5:29:00 PM
saying "this game stinks" even as a joke is stupid.
because not everyone will get it's a joke.
---
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOqkRU6WB10