Is anyone else bothered by the dominance of in-game tutorials?

#1Shadowstar108Posted 7/16/2013 12:20:25 PM
It is convenient that the game tells you how to play the game, but it kind of ruins the point of making the instruction manual. With every feature introduced, the game automatically explains it to you. Sometimes I feel like the only one out of my friends who actually opens the instruction manual (and also reads it) after I buy a game.
---
"Think we should tell them about the hexes, or sell it as is?"
#2mmelzer2004Posted 7/16/2013 12:23:27 PM
In the age of digital releases, the developers probably assume you won't pull up the digital manual.
---
Currently Playing - Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS3 Beta)
#3MilesTeg420Posted 7/16/2013 12:25:31 PM
The best way to make someone understand something is to have them do it themselves. Same as real life.
#4HoulePosted 7/16/2013 12:29:00 PM
No one really reads instruction manuals or takes the time to figure it out. They just rage when they don't know how to play and smack talk it which hurts the game overall. Though tutorials have always existed, just didn't always seem apparent with the restrictions older games have had.

For example the first goomba in Mario is at a location where it is easy to jump on it and the first Mushroom in the game is nearly unavoidable. The timed jump (holding A to jump higher) is forced upon you with the pipes being the height that they are, etc. It slowly shows you the various mechanics of the game in a fairly safe environment.

Another one would be Donkey Kong and how it would have platforms/barrels in seemingly random locations with a single enemy or cluster of enemies in easy to hit locations. Like a burning oil drum that toggles on and off to the left of you or a Grey Krusha next to your starting position in a rather large open location so when you bounce off him you won't die instantly.
---
Just because I don't invite you into my bedroom doesn't mean you're not more than welcome into my living room
#5nazacuckooPosted 7/16/2013 12:35:27 PM
Which game are we talking about?
---
Xbox 360 Gamertag: NazaCageRatt
The official Stalfos of the "A link to the Past 3DS" board.
#6keyblader1985Posted 7/16/2013 12:43:55 PM
I just thought of this, but it would be nice if there was an option to turn tutorials on/off. Either in the Option menu, or when you start a new file (or both). Newbies could still receive help if necessary, and experienced players would only have to bother with it one time.
---
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/keyblader1985/keyblader.jpg
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai
#7kalvadorPosted 7/16/2013 12:46:44 PM
I hate when you can't skip in-game tutorial, especially if it's not your first time playing the game.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
- Magus
#8CWtennisPosted 7/16/2013 12:47:53 PM
Games that are easy to pick up/learn while you go are the best IMO. Demo's and games where they throw a quick textbox with 10+ control options overwhelm me so badly.
---
3053 5388 2361 - Pokemon White 2 FC
2277 6632 4722 - 3DS FC
#9KenauePosted 7/16/2013 12:49:26 PM
kalvador posted...
I hate when you can't skip in-game tutorial, especially if it's not your first time playing the game.

Oh my god this....It's one reason why I haven't started Fire Red over again on my GBA....No option to skip Oak's stupid battle tutorial.
---
Most Excited For: Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus (PS3), KINGDOM HEARTS III (PS4), SMTIV (3DS)
PSN: Lord_CBH / Nintendo Network: LordCBH
#10dextorbootPosted 7/16/2013 1:15:29 PM
Good game manuals are hard to come by. In the olden days companies put time and money into them. What others are saying is true. People don't read them so every game has a tutorial now instead. Beyond an image or two telling you what buttons do, which is basically just for reference, most won't put in the effort to make a good manual. They'll just introduce game concepts as they come. While I miss the look of the manuals, I'm ok with a good tutorial. But yes, you should be allowed to skip them unless they're essentially the first "level" or part of a plot.