Suddenly, slow eShop downloads

#1gillainPosted 7/17/2013 11:11:57 AM
I bought Shin Megami Tensei from the eShop yesterday, and my download is going incredibly slowly. I started the d/l at 4:30 yesterday and by 11 pm it was only 23% done. I figured something was wrong, so I turned off the 3DS, turned it back on and tried again. So probably restarted a little after 11 pm on 7/16. It's now 2:00 PM on 7/17 and it's only 47% done!

I've rebooted my wireless router in case something was weird there. The 3DS is right next to the router so it's not interference. Wireless for my laptop and tablets is fine.

In the past I've purchased eShop titles, most recently Fire Emblem when it came out, and the download speeds were perfectly fine.

I contacted Nintendo Customer Support and they offered no help, explaining to me that these are 'large files' so take "a little while longer.' I have 30 Mbps d/l service from Time Warner and I confirmed with Speedtest.net that it's running like it's supposed to.

At this rate it's going to take over 30 hours to d/l this game... I'd call that more than "a little while longer". Clearly something is causing problems but I'm not sure what it could be.

Anyone ever see this problem? Any suggestions as to what I can do to fix it?
#2PlaysaverPosted 7/17/2013 11:53:39 AM(edited)
Well you just might have a slow wireless setup. I have twc internet, but not the fast version of it, and my download of the game only took about 50mins. What kind of router are you using? (brand) I'm using a netgear router. I use that because it seems to let the nat go where it should for all the systems i use on that router. I was using a Netgear WNR2000v3 and that worked very well. Heck i was even able to set the guest network to work as wep security while still having the main wireless as wpa security. With wpa still doing well on speed. I recently upgraded that to a Netgear WND4300-100nas as this router has Gigabit for my lan enable ports. Pc ect... It works very well too. It's much better for my pc downloads and web browsing.
I would also suggest you use the option of downloading later since if you have to reconnect you won't lose your download progress of the game and have to start over as you seem to be having to do.
#3Bane_Of_DespairPosted 7/17/2013 11:43:07 AM
Am I the only one who thought of this when reading the topic title?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DD7VIKZnGA

>_>
---
"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?"
3DS FC- 5472-6201-0498
#4gillain(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2013 11:54:39 AM
I have TWC's UBEE cable modem/wireless router.

But it's NOT my wireless connection. At least not in general terms. It might be the 3DS's wireless access that is screwed up, but tablets, laptops and such are all humming along fine on the wireless.

Hitting Speedtest.net on a laptop connected wireless reports I'm getting the full 30 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up.

I don't think it's a problem with Nintendo's network because if it was, I'd be seeing dozens of posts about it. It has to be something about the 3DS that has come unhinged. As I said, it used to d/l games with no problems.

I haven't dropped it or anything, but there have been some updates since I last downloaded anything...
#5gillain(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2013 11:56:52 AM
Oh, and I am using download later. When I restarted, I did that by choice just in case something was funky with the files or something.

I just checked and I'm at 50% .. after 16 hours!
#6furygodsPosted 7/17/2013 11:59:28 AM
gillain posted...
Oh, and I am using download later. When I restarted, I did that by choice just in case something was funky with the files or something.

Don't worry, time will go fast if you think about cute stuff.
---
Playing someone who kills people in a video game = Murderer?
Playing a Loli in a video game = Pedo? I don't think so.
#7PlaysaverPosted 7/17/2013 12:03:37 PM
well if it's thier wireless router then twc maybe limiting things like 3ds's, in how fast they can go.
I don't have the cable modem/wireless setup in my house. Just the cable modem which also does our twc cable phone.
If you have a way to do it check and make sure some one outside the house isnt' getting into your wireless and sucking up all your wireless bandwidth.
#8PlaysaverPosted 7/17/2013 12:33:48 PM(edited)
gillain posted...

Hop over to a macdonalds that has nintendo zone. (no set up required for the 3ds)
You'll probibly be done with the download before you can finish your meal.
(when i went from 3ds to 3ds xl that's where I did my transfer and i finished very fast.)