Suppose the Vita is SONY's last handheld console.What then? (3DS related)

#1Pac12345Posted 7/18/2013 2:06:51 AM
OK, So right now there's only 2 competitors in the handheld space. What would happen if SONY drops out of the handheld business entirely and focuses only on the PS4?

Ever since the Game Boy, Nintendo has reigned supreme in the handheld space. However, in each generation of handheld devices, Nintendo has always had at least one competitor to contend with. Given that today SONY is Nintendo's only competitor, and the fact that smartphones and tablets have pretty much scared off other companies from entering the console space, What then would happen to Nintendo in terms of the handheld consoles market?

Would Nintendo keep its business as it does today? (This means sticking with the 3ds and eventually releasing a successor to it)

Would any other company attempt to compete or survive in this market?

Would Nintendo keep reigning supreme in the handheld space? (Basically never attempting to compete against the smartphone and tablet market and keep doing it's thing)

Would Nintendo eventually suffer from competition from the smartphone and tablet manufacturers?

Would Nintendo ditch its long standing practices and release a Nintendo phone? (In order to compete in this new market).

Would this handheld market comprised of only one company (Nintendo) become a monopolist hell or a safe haven for developers?

I'm interested in reading opinions.
#2fire2boxPosted 7/18/2013 2:08:44 AM
then sony would be out of the handheld market, simple as that.
---
Ivy bridge i5 3570k @3.40GHz | 8 GB DDR3 | single XFX 7870| OCZ 600W Modular. Nvidia, AMD, Intel for life!!
3DS FC: 2208-5221-4039
#3Pac12345(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2013 2:12:56 AM
fire2box posted...
then sony would be out of the handheld market, simple as that.

Yes, and what then? What's next for Nintendo?
#4n00bsaib0tPosted 7/18/2013 2:14:00 AM
Competition breeds quality. If the Vita had a more appealing library and lost the stigma of no good games (it definitely has some) and maybes the JP price drop hitting other regions there would be huge competition for Nintendo and talks of Sony dropping out if the handheld market wouldn't even be considered.

I don't want to talk about if Sony quits, I want Sony to get the Vita rolling and picking up steam. Think of how good it was during the PSP vs DS years. Yeah, it was slow to start but PSP was competition and we got great games on both systems as a result.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#5ervinp89Posted 7/18/2013 2:37:54 AM
If Sony drops out of the handheld market and puts all focus on the PS4. Nintendo will do what ever they want. So we need Sony to keep the competition between them going, because if Nintendo can do whatever they want; are wallets are doomed. Remember the 3DS started at 250, then there was a price drop, and after Sony release the "Vita" Kid Icarus came out. Pokemon is coming out around the same time as Xbox One. Smash Bros 4 is probably going to come out when a big title hits for the other consoles or 4th quarter next year. Nintendo will work hard as long as competition is around. Competition is better for the consumers, because a fight for our wallets and hard earned cash is both profit for the companies we support and better quality products for us.
---
PSN ID: Swervo, GamerTag: Swervo1989, 3DSFC: 2062-9177-9769
http://www.peoplestring.com/?u=swervo
#6CojiroseanPosted 7/18/2013 2:38:59 AM
Nintendo would continue with the region lock and I wouldn't have any handheld games.
---
Blog that I write for, support it if you like what you see:
http://illegibleother.blogspot.com.au/
#7NathanisDrakePosted 7/18/2013 3:01:14 AM
Cojirosean posted...
Nintendo would continue with the region lock and I wouldn't have any handheld games.

[citation needed]
---
"My pin number is 0001, because I'm number 1!"
- Manfred Von Karma
#8ECOsvaldoPosted 7/18/2013 3:20:44 AM
If Sony drops out of the handheld market, look for Microsoft to take their place. Then Nintendo will be screwed. It will be one of the following reasons:

- Microsoft has a big, fat wallet so designing a handheld (built upon the Windows 8 core) will be chump change to them

- Microsoft will purchase Nintendo outright, where they will force them to stop manufacturing all Wii/Wii U consoles and all current DSi/3DS handhelds, and begin work on designing a handheld console (built upon the Windows 8 core)

Watch - it's most likely going to happen.
---
PSN ID: ecosvaldo | 3DS Friend Code: 2707-1633-0103 | PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ABH
#9EarthLord_CJPosted 7/18/2013 3:22:21 AM
ECOsvaldo posted...
If Sony drops out of the handheld market, look for Microsoft to take their place. Then Nintendo will be screwed. It will be one of the following reasons:

- Microsoft has a big, fat wallet so designing a handheld (built upon the Windows 8 core) will be chump change to them

- Microsoft will purchase Nintendo outright, where they will force them to stop manufacturing all Wii/Wii U consoles and all current DSi/3DS handhelds, and begin work on designing a handheld console (built upon the Windows 8 core)

So why hasn't that happened yet?
---
http://i.imgur.com/qgqVy.jpg
"Don't wanna know...where the sinners go..."
#10NathanisDrakePosted 7/18/2013 3:31:09 AM
ECOsvaldo posted...

10/10 Will read again.
---
"My pin number is 0001, because I'm number 1!"
- Manfred Von Karma