Do you have to Draw Maps in Etrian Odyssey Games?

#1flamethrowalrusPosted 7/19/2013 3:58:16 AM
^ This ^

The series has got me intrigued. It looks like something I could get into, but I despise heavy touch screen controls. I read an article saying that you draw maps on the touch screen. Do you have to? If you do, will they scratch up my screen like a Pokemon Ranger game? (**** you, Guardian Signs!)
#2BeanBeanKingdomPosted 7/19/2013 4:01:54 AM
You don't draw them from complete scratch, you have tools to draw them like tiles, icons for doors, treasure chests and whatnot (example: http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/997793-etrian-odyssey-iv-legends-of-the-titan/faqs/67113). It's a very old-school roguelike. :-)
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#3flamethrowalrus(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2013 4:05:17 AM
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
You don't draw them from complete scratch, you have tools to draw them like tiles, icons for doors, treasure chests and whatnot (example: http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/997793-etrian-odyssey-iv-legends-of-the-titan/faqs/67113). It's a very old-school roguelike. :-)

So what (I think) you're saying is that it is drag-and-drop style? If this is what you indeed are saying my touch screen could probably handle that. Can you not use buttons though?
#4mattfrankPosted 7/19/2013 4:18:59 AM
The map on the bottom screen draws itself the trail you leave behind.

The most frequent thing you do to the map is dragging different icons to mark point of interest,gathering spots,doors,etc to help you navigate through dungeon.

Trust me,being able to draw the map is a blessing not a hassle.I honestly wish other RPGs would adopt this feature.
---
FC:Bafflin 0533-4048-3637
#5flamethrowalrus(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2013 4:26:50 AM
mattfrank posted...
The map on the bottom screen draws itself the trail you leave behind.

The most frequent thing you do to the map is dragging different icons to mark point of interest,gathering spots,doors,etc to help you navigate through dungeon.

Trust me,being able to draw the map is a blessing not a hassle.I honestly wish other RPGs would adopt this feature.

I wil take your word for it and not cancel my pre-order on The Millennium Girl; thanks for the help.

I just don't want another game like *shudders* Pokemon Ranger. That game + Mario Party DS destroyed any mass desire for touch screen heavy games. If it is more like a drag-and-drop I can deal with that.
#6_Candice_Posted 7/19/2013 4:36:46 AM
You literally dont have to use touch if you dont want to.

Drawing maps is a handy addition and not mandatory. You move around with buttons, but if you want to place a marker so you remember where certain landmarks or events are you can.

Otherwise, your movement will automatically create green squares on the map based on your movement. If you want a more refined map those tools are avaliable.

Its fun that way
---
It's not about graphics vs gameplay, it's about profits vs gameplay. Profits are more important than gameplay in this forum. -lgi on the Wii U messageboard
#7flamethrowalrus(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2013 4:38:32 AM
_Candice_ posted...
You literally dont have to use touch if you dont want to.

Drawing maps is a handy addition and not mandatory. You move around with buttons, but if you want to place a marker so you remember where certain landmarks or events are you can.

Otherwise, your movement will automatically create green squares on the map based on your movement. If you want a more refined map those tools are avaliable.

Its fun that way

You don't know how happy this makes me. Thank you person of the internet, now I feel like I made a good purchase!
#8mad9671Posted 7/19/2013 5:00:12 AM
flamethrowalrus posted...
^ This ^

will they scratch up my screen like a Pokemon Ranger game? (**** you, Guardian Signs!)

Oh no, I recently (last month) purchased that game Pokemon Ranger Guardian signs inorder to reach atleast gold status (I like the story as well) ! I have screen protector applied to touch screen of my DSi (yeah, I only use my DSi or DSlite for pokemon games and save my 3DS for other type of games). I have only played first 30 minutes of the game and capturing pokemon is by using fast intensive strokes is worrying me sometimes as well ! Any solutions ?! Please !
---
---3DS:4811-7170-1062. Just because you are a character doesn't mean that you have a character:-Pulp Fiction
#9Thunderbird8Posted 7/19/2013 5:57:11 AM
I've played through all 3 Pokemon Ranger games and have never had screen scratching problems.
#10toadiemanPosted 7/19/2013 6:18:20 AM
The spaces you walk on get colored but you have to draw the walls and put icons where doors and traps and things are. It's not as much a hassle as it sounds.
---
The chest is empty...like your thieving heart.