Finally Got Around to Playing Oracle of Ages

#1WhiteTigerShiroPosted 7/19/2013 3:03:19 PM
I dunno, after all the hype surrounding Ages and Seasons, I have to say that I'm not impressed. Having just cleared the third dungeon, the game so far has been a tedious slog through yawn-worthy dungeons, with obnoxious fetch quests in between; especially Crescent Island. Apparently being able to just pause the game to access a different item is too convenient, so let's design an area that's focused around needing one of two items that can only be swapped-out by slowly walking to the other side of the island. There were honestly cases where the boring slog to the trader to get the other item that I noticed I need in this cave were so mindless that I honestly forgot which area on this uninteresting island it was that I needed the item, then needed to explore to figure out where it was and why I needed it... only to stumble on a cave that needed the OTHER item.

The game is just filled with poorly-implemented fetch quests to try and pad-out the length, a story that fails to make you feel invested in it, and dungeons that fail to give that delightful sense of satisfaction that you get from clearing dungeons in other Zelda titles; even the original Zelda's dungeons that are as basic as you can get with little to no puzzle-solving felt good to clear.

So why do these games get so much hype despite having so little right about them?
---
"Not all who wander are lost."
#2x_stevey_xPosted 7/19/2013 3:30:21 PM
great games
#3Fight_The_PowerPosted 7/19/2013 3:33:03 PM
WhiteTigerShiro posted...
I dunno, after all the hype surrounding Ages and Seasons, I have to say that I'm not impressed. Having just cleared the third dungeon, the game so far has been a tedious slog through yawn-worthy dungeons, with obnoxious fetch quests in between; especially Crescent Island. Apparently being able to just pause the game to access a different item is too convenient, so let's design an area that's focused around needing one of two items that can only be swapped-out by slowly walking to the other side of the island. There were honestly cases where the boring slog to the trader to get the other item that I noticed I need in this cave were so mindless that I honestly forgot which area on this uninteresting island it was that I needed the item, then needed to explore to figure out where it was and why I needed it... only to stumble on a cave that needed the OTHER item.

The game is just filled with poorly-implemented fetch quests to try and pad-out the length, a story that fails to make you feel invested in it, and dungeons that fail to give that delightful sense of satisfaction that you get from clearing dungeons in other Zelda titles; even the original Zelda's dungeons that are as basic as you can get with little to no puzzle-solving felt good to clear.

So why do these games get so much hype despite having so little right about them?

You clearly missed the point of that ENTIRE island. It's meant to be a puzzle (which is exactly what Oracle of Ages focuses on, in fact)
---
The JahMan has cometh once again... and he is here to stay.
3DS FC: 0018-0111-4675. J.O.D. from Napoleon. Dream Address: 5400-2159-0837
#4Fight_The_PowerPosted 7/19/2013 3:36:58 PM
In fact, reading through your post it's obvious that you don't like puzzles or thinking, so I'm shocked you even like a Zelda game besides the first one.
---
#5IrateGameFAQerPosted 7/19/2013 3:46:12 PM
I hope you haven't played Seasons yet, because honestly, story wise, it's practically nonexistant until you finish collecting all the essenses.

At least in Ages, you interact w/ Veran on more than one occassion...unlike Onyx who you see in the beginning and only the end.

While I think Ages > Seasons, I do somewhat agree it's a bit slower paced at spots (since it is more puzzle than action). But the time travel aspect is sweet.
---
#1 Chris Bores fan!
#6WhiteTigerShiro(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2013 4:31:33 PM
Fight_The_Power posted...
You clearly missed the point of that ENTIRE island. It's meant to be a puzzle (which is exactly what Oracle of Ages focuses on, in fact)
No, I get that the island was meant to be a puzzle, but that doesn't excuse needlessly padding the length of time it takes to solve it by forcing me to wander back and forth across the island to swap-out items. When a room that should take about a minute to clear-out takes closer to 10 minutes because I have to backtrack across several screens several times to swap-out item, that's called needless padding, and it is poor design no matter how you slice it.

Heck, grinding enemies (for experience, gold, or whatever) is a better gameplay mechanic, because at least it's doing SOMETHING. Crescent Island was just aimless wandering until you found the next area you can solve, then having to walk back and forth and back and forth between the puzzle and the trader to solve it properly. And for what? Because one single area required both the feather and the bracelet to pass in order to "complete" the over-all puzzle of the island; an obstacle that could just as easily have required one of the seeds (the item that lets you get both the feather and the bracelet) instead of requiring constant back-and-forth across the island to get the item for the next part of the puzzle.

Crescent Island was horribly designed. The fact that it was "meant to be a puzzle" is meaningless. The point is that was a poorly designed one.

In fact, reading through your post it's obvious that you don't like puzzles or thinking, so I'm shocked you even like a Zelda game besides the first one.

Wow... I'm not even gonna bother touching that one, except to note that I think it's cute how I managed to trigger your knee-jerk fanboy response so effectively that you had to double-post just to toss a flame into the mix.
---
#7Fight_The_PowerPosted 7/19/2013 4:38:35 PM
WhiteTigerShiro posted...
No, I get that the island was meant to be a puzzle, but that doesn't excuse needlessly padding the length of time it takes to solve it by forcing me to wander back and forth across the island to swap-out items. When a room that should take about a minute to clear-out takes closer to 10 minutes because I have to backtrack across several screens several times to swap-out item, that's called needless padding, and it is poor design no matter how you slice it.

Heck, grinding enemies (for experience, gold, or whatever) is a better gameplay mechanic, because at least it's doing SOMETHING. Crescent Island was just aimless wandering until you found the next area you can solve, then having to walk back and forth and back and forth between the puzzle and the trader to solve it properly. And for what? Because one single area required both the feather and the bracelet to pass in order to "complete" the over-all puzzle of the island; an obstacle that could just as easily have required one of the seeds (the item that lets you get both the feather and the bracelet) instead of requiring constant back-and-forth across the island to get the item for the next part of the puzzle.

Crescent Island was horribly designed. The fact that it was "meant to be a puzzle" is meaningless. The point is that was a poorly designed one.

It wasn't "poorly designed" at all. That was the entire point of the puzzle, to backtrack and get past every obstacle till you have all the items back. You just didn't like it because it took you too long to finish.

Wow... I'm not even gonna bother touching that one, except to note that I think it's cute how I managed to trigger your knee-jerk fanboy response so effectively that you had to double-post just to toss a flame into the mix.

Saying you don't like puzzles (and you obviously don't) is "flaming" now? lmao. That's a cute redefinition if I haven't seen one.

If Crescent Island made you mad, I can only imagine how hard you'd rage at Turtle Rock in LTTP.
---
#8WhiteTigerShiro(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2013 4:41:26 PM
IrateGameFAQer posted...
I hope you haven't played Seasons yet, because honestly, story wise, it's practically nonexistant until you finish collecting all the essenses.

At least in Ages, you interact w/ Veran on more than one occassion...unlike Onyx who you see in the beginning and only the end.

While I think Ages > Seasons, I do somewhat agree it's a bit slower paced at spots (since it is more puzzle than action). But the time travel aspect is sweet.
I dunno, honestly no story would be better than terrible story. At least with no story I can just focus on playing the game rather than getting constant updates on a story that failed to invest me. And about "at least" being able to interact with Veran, I don't really count him popping into the scene, giving me the hint for the next area to explore, then telling me that he's doing all the work while I'm just goofing off (because THAT joke has never been done before) before he takes off as a positive aspect to the game. He's about as intelligible as the characters in Awakening, but without the charm that they had.

The time travel aspect... I don't care for it, honestly. I feel that Link to the Past did the "two versions of the same world" thing better. It had you explore the light world first, THEN introduced the dark world for you to explore. It created a nice contrast that let you get used to the layout of the first world before tossing-in the second one, so it was usually easier to remember what was where. In Ages I'm constantly forgetting which characters/locations were in which timeline because the game is designed so that I have to explore an area in both timelines at roughly the same time. In fact, I honestly forget sometimes which time I'm even in because of the way that the game wants me to jump back and forth so much. I'll just be exploring, when some character mentions something about the past or the future, and I'll be like "Okay, time to head to a time portal to jump to the other timeline".
---
#9IrateGameFAQerPosted 7/19/2013 4:46:24 PM(edited)
Vernan's the Bad chick who possessed Impa in the beginning. You're thinking of Albert or whatever the hell his name is.

You forgetting isn't really the game's fault. I had no trouble remember characters/things between timelines. You shouldn't fault the game for your bad memory
---
#1 Chris Bores fan!
#10WhiteTigerShiro(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2013 5:03:53 PM
Fight_The_Power posted...
It wasn't "poorly designed" at all. That was the entire point of the puzzle, to backtrack and get past every obstacle till you have all the items back. You just didn't like it because it took you too long to finish.

Defending a poorly designed gameplay mechanic by saying that the entire point was to be poorly designed... interesting.

Saying you don't like puzzles (and you obviously don't) is "flaming" now? lmao. That's a cute redefinition if I haven't seen one.
It's more complicated than that, but I won't bother to explain it since I doubt you'll get it anyway. Though since you seem so invested in it, puzzle games are actually some of my favorite games. I grew up with the likes of Tetris and Lolo, and the way that Link to the Past spiced-up the dungeon sections of the series by adding puzzle solving to the exploring/fighting mix of the previous two games is probably a part of why it ended-up being my favorite in the series (so far). The difference is that the puzzles were generally well designed.

Explain to me, what is the value in having to backtrack back and forth to solve the cave where you get the flippers? How would the puzzle-solving have been hurt if you were able to just open-up your menu to get out the gloves after you used the feather to access the guy who stole your flippers to toss those rocks? The only thing, the ONLY thing that was added to the game by requiring you to go back to the trader is about 5 minutes. When "more time" is the only value added to the game, it's time to sit down and do a little brainstorming, because only a game that has a monthly fee should try and design the game based around what takes the most time to complete.

If Crescent Island made you mad, I can only imagine how hard you'd rage at Turtle Rock in LTTP.
"Would" rage? Are you trying to imply that I haven't beaten Link to the Past?
---