Normal vs. XL. Wich is better?

#31OoSubaruoOPosted 7/23/2013 5:59:31 PM
Gavin_Rozee posted...
I have both.

Standard 3DS is better.

I prefer portable systems when they're more portable.

Sound quality is vastly better and louder too.

Sharper graphics.

3D sweet-spot is easier to maintain and less intense on my eyes.

Glossy plastic doesn't get sweat stains like the cheap plastic of the XL does. inb4 glossy = fingerprints, because at least they wipe off.

XL is just as portable. The sound quality is barely an issue, the graphics look the same to me.
---
The official Genbu of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#32Jakerific44Posted 7/23/2013 6:07:45 PM
XL for reasons already listed.
---
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo
#33NovaCastPosted 7/23/2013 6:16:44 PM(edited)
Why does anyone fail to mention the audio jack on the 3ds xl?

I have an 3ds xl and the audio jack is HORRIBLY placed most headphones or earphone connections will get in the way of your left hand. It was really moronic putting it in such a place...

I personally think the 3ds xl's screen are '' too big'' the console becomes even bulkier if you decide to use a circle pad pro. The regular 3ds is fine IMO , i don't think the screens are too small except for maybe the touch screen.

Its a matter of preference, and hand size too. If you have '' normal''/average or small hands then a regular 3ds is just fine. If you have large hands or fingers then a 3ds xl would be more ideal since if you play a regular 3ds for more than an hr straight your hands will definitely feel it.

3ds xl has better battery life, but the regular 3ds can use a nyko battery pack and get just about the same if not a bit more.

Regular 3ds has a glossy casing and the 3ds xl doesn't meaning the regular 3ds is a fingerprint magnet. The 3ds xl's casing is and feels a bit cheaper.

I would go with whatever fits your needs, don't let people tell you the xl is a hell of a lot better than a regular 3ds because it really isn't. The pixels on the 3ds xl are hardly noticeable unless you are looking at the extremely close really i can hardly notice them.

Keep in mind most of the people recommending the 3ds xl are the same blind people who need glasses. If you eyesight is fine then i don't think a regular 3ds will be a problem if you decide to go that route.

At this point i if you don't mind waiting 3 months i would just wait until black friday, where the regular 3ds will be like $100 and the xl might be around $170 with bonus accessories or games.
---
#34landsharkx619Posted 7/23/2013 6:15:45 PM
This really is a matter of preference, my gf and I just picked up our 3ds' this week she got xl mainly for the bigger screen. While I got the sexy purple one for the color, gloss, size and sound quality for netflix.
At the end of the day it's your choice.
---
---
-Landshark, the reason you're afraid to go alone Pokemon Black 2 FC: 3225-3449-6463
#35DirtyHarry11Posted 7/23/2013 6:40:36 PM
NovaCast posted...
Why does anyone fail to mention the audio jack on the 3ds xl?

I have an 3ds xl and the audio jack is HORRIBLY placed most headphones or earphone connections will get in the way of your left hand. It was really moronic putting it in such a place...

I personally think the 3ds xl's screen are '' too big'' the console becomes even bulkier if you decide to use a circle pad pro. The regular 3ds is fine IMO , i don't think the screens are too small except for maybe the touch screen.

Its a matter of preference, and hand size too. If you have '' normal''/average or small hands then a regular 3ds is just fine. If you have large hands or fingers then a 3ds xl would be more ideal since if you play a regular 3ds for more than an hr straight your hands will definitely feel it.

3ds xl has better battery life, but the regular 3ds can use a nyko battery pack and get just about the same if not a bit more.

Regular 3ds has a glossy casing and the 3ds xl doesn't meaning the regular 3ds is a fingerprint magnet. The 3ds xl's casing is and feels a bit cheaper.

I would go with whatever fits your needs, don't let people tell you the xl is a hell of a lot better than a regular 3ds because it really isn't. The pixels on the 3ds xl are hardly noticeable unless you are looking at the extremely close really i can hardly notice them.

Keep in mind most of the people recommending the 3ds xl are the same blind people who need glasses. If you eyesight is fine then i don't think a regular 3ds will be a problem if you decide to go that route.

At this point i if you don't mind waiting 3 months i would just wait until black friday, where the regular 3ds will be like $100 and the xl might be around $170 with bonus accessories or games.

Slow down there, big rig. They are designed differently to appeal to different preferences, that's all. I have 20/20 vision along with a regular 3DS and an XL, and would take the XL any day of the week. It seems like the majority prefer the XL version, there's probably a reason for that. It's only logical to recommend the system that seems to be more generally favorable, especially since TC didn't mention what he really prefers in handhelds as far as specs go (bigger screens vs portability, matte vs gloss finish, etc etc).
#36Xenesis XenonPosted 7/23/2013 6:43:15 PM
DirtyHarry11 posted...
Slow down there, big rig. They are designed differently to appeal to different preferences, that's all. I have 20/20 vision along with a regular 3DS and an XL, and would take the XL any day of the week. It seems like the majority prefer the XL version, there's probably a reason for that. It's only logical to recommend the system that seems to be more generally favorable, especially since TC didn't mention what he really prefers in handhelds as far as specs go (bigger screens vs portability, matte vs gloss finish, etc etc).

I remember reading a user survey many years ago that suggested that a majority of people with laptops don't take them out of the home at all. I'm sure it's a similar case with portable game consoles outside of Japan - If you're not taking it out and about, the larger size is only going to be a positive.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#37oomomowPosted 7/24/2013 5:32:20 AM
For me, original 3DS. More accessories, (for example CPP. Unless you order from or live in Japan) Prettier Colors, Midnight Purple, Harder to break, easier to carry around, resolution problem thing, sound quality, less of a chance you will get a defect and have to go through the hassle of getting a new one, has 3rd party batteries that don't add thickness, about 30-40 less $$$, comfortable design, and gloss finish.

(These are all my personal opinions / preferences. Except the actual facts like price, and accessories.)
---
V
#38FishbulbPosted 7/24/2013 5:55:40 AM
There have been hundreds of topics already debating every single minutae about this.

Just use the search.
---
Broadcasting your religious faith in a sig is obnoxious. All who agree copy/paste this sig.
#39nimerjm37Posted 7/24/2013 6:07:40 AM
oomomow posted...
For me, original 3DS. More accessories, (for example CPP. Unless you order from or live in Japan) Prettier Colors, Midnight Purple, Harder to break, easier to carry around, resolution problem thing, sound quality, less of a chance you will get a defect and have to go through the hassle of getting a new one, has 3rd party batteries that don't add thickness, about 30-40 less $$$, comfortable design, and gloss finish.

(These are all my personal opinions / preferences. Except the actual facts like price, and accessories.)

More accessories, (for example CPP. Unless you order from or live in Japan)

The 3DS XL CPP is out in both Europe AND America now. An easy buy from Amazon or Nintendo's site. It IS, however, easier to find styli for the launch 3DS than it is for the XL, but again, I just ordered my replacements from Nintendo's store.

Prettier Colors, Midnight Purple

An opinion... a bad one, but just an opinion. I'll go with red, blue and (now) black any day.

Harder to break

? Not sure how... Maybe someone could elaborate?

Easier to carry around

I am so sick of this falsehood. As a male in his thirties, at 6'1 and 185 pounds (tall and thin), I don't own a single pair of pants that the 3DS XL won't fit nicely into the pockets. All my sport coats, suits and casual jackets are the same. I guess if all you wear is cutoff jean shorts or skinny jeans, the 3DS XL won't fit in the pockets. But neither will a regular 3DS. Or a wallet. Or a dollar bill. Give your bits a break and wear clothes that fit!

All kidding aside, I never go anywhere without my 3DS XL. And it fits in all the pockets in all my clothes.

resolution problem thing, sound quality, less of a chance you will get a defect and have to go through the hassle of getting a new one

All ridiculous enough to be grouped into one large "no" response. The resolution is THE SAME as on a launch 3DS, but that has already been covered thousands of times before. The speakers are fine and the headphone jack is still there, so where is the problem? And the defect thing? Are you making that up? I've NEVER heard that one before, and I thought I'd heard every kind of false nonsense the pro launch model people have made up. Oh well. Next.

has 3rd party batteries that don't add thickness

Clearly you've never used a 3rd party battery thing before. It makes the launch 3DS THICKER than the XL!!! You can't have it both ways - either the original 3DS is smaller and more portable with terrible battery life, or it is thicker, and "less portable (as you'd say)" with a battery extender. Why not just go with the XL and have the reduced thickness (from a launch model with a battery extender) AND the better battery life without spending the extra $$$?!

about 30-40 less $$$

Which, apparently, you'd spend on a battery extender, nullifying the price and "portability" arguments simultaneously.

comfortable design, and gloss finish

For people with freakishly tiny hands like the guy in those old Burger King commercials. Oh, and better make sure those freakishly tiny hands have no fingerprints, because that gloss finish is going to show every. last. one. of. them.

I normally hate to tear peoples' posts apart point by point, but this one was just wrong enough to push me to it. This reminds me so much of the DS Phat/DS Lite arguments from a few years ago. The Lite was clearly superior in every way, as the XL is, but people who couldn't afford them or were too damn stubborn to change held onto the pro-Phat arguments for years, YEARS, after they were completely irrelevant.
---
Took four years and thousands of hours, but I finally caught 'em all!
http://imgur.com/a/i3b4T
#40DaramuePosted 7/24/2013 7:02:08 AM
I really, absolutely cannot recommend the launch 3ds over the XL unless:

1) Your hands are really tiny
2) You don't have a lot of expendable income and the price difference, although small, is crippling for whatever reason
3) You don't mind your system being a fingerprint magnet
4) You don't mind a smaller screen

I'm sure that for many people, they don't care about these points and the original 3ds is serviceable to them. I started with the launch 3ds as well, but after switching to the XL, I cannot go back. From design to comfortability (Battery life and screen size, too), it's superior in all regards.
---
"I object....for objection's sake!" ~Franziska Von Karma
"How many horse-powers does it have, Mr. Nick? How many horsies?" ~ Pearl Fey