Question about connecting to university wifi

#1LegendofLink17Posted 7/20/2013 8:03:02 PM
Well my girlfriend just got a 3ds xl and is attending UT and here's the thing, there are a couple of different networks to choose from.
One is an unsecured network called attwifi, which she can connect to and use the Eshop etc... But when we try to visit towns in animal crossing, she receives an error code that says its most likely a firewall issue.

The other is the secured campus wifi that she has access to as a student. It's a wpa2 type connection, and when she connects through her laptop, it takes her to a web page where she can enter her log on and password. However, when she uses her 3ds, it asks for the security key, which she doesn't have since she does it through the website, so she can't even connect to the access point.

Any suggestions? I'm just going by what she told me so all of the facts may not be perfect
---
Black 2 FC: 1851 0539 3947
#2RatheVPosted 7/20/2013 8:07:28 PM
Which UT?
#3LegendofLink17(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2013 8:12:16 PM
University of Texas! The only UT that matters. HA just kidding but really.
---
Black 2 FC: 1851 0539 3947
#4RatheVPosted 7/20/2013 8:17:52 PM
Cool! I'm one of those silly Tennesseans, so I could have given you a more detailed answer, but sadly I can't help so much now.

All I can tell you is that my university has a similar problem with the WPA2 connection, and I have to use a, unprotected visitor login that works slowly, but is alright for downloads and games that don't need real-time reactions online. If there's nothing like that over there, then I don't know what to tell you.
#5kirbybunnyPosted 7/20/2013 8:21:24 PM
When she is online on her laptop tell her to use the cma (command line try searching cma on the laptop to find it.) on the laptop. On the cma (its a black window.) type ipconfig or ipconfig/all and press enter it should show you the ip and password of the interent the laptop she is using. You will probably have to go to the website on the 3ds after she does this and use her password to get online.
---
team: (Me),Shiryu,Shiroh,Kirby,Picori,Gaomon,Treecko,Spyro,& Wolfkin.
Galaxy Beast: Azure(Otter) 3DSfc 4227-1270-5344 PM me.
#6Genericgamer667Posted 7/20/2013 8:21:41 PM
try downloading connectify if nothing else works. set up your own hotspot :P
---
3DS FC: 4940-5445-8767
It is a remake, not my fault you people think ports are remakes (but only on Nintendo systems)-Demondog666 on Kid Icarus Uprising
#7drill beesPosted 7/20/2013 8:56:40 PM(edited)
On her laptop, she should be able to click the 5 bar icon next to the time that displays the name of the router her computer is connected to. From there she should click the icon, and right click the router and go into properties, in the next screen, there should be an option under the security tab that displays the router's security/encryption type and security key with a button that shows the characters in the password. Press the button to show the characters and then use that as it's the security key.

If she still has to go onto the website to access the internet after putting the router info into the internet area in 3ds system settings. From there I guess she could try to enter in the security key on the website from the web browser then minimize it with the home menu and then try to play online.

kirbybunny posted...
When she is online on her laptop tell her to use the cma (command line try searching cma on the laptop to find it.) on the laptop. On the cma (its a black window.) type ipconfig or ipconfig/all and press enter it should show you the ip and password of the interent the laptop she is using. You will probably have to go to the website on the 3ds after she does this and use her password to get online.

I think you mean cmd, not cma^, I don't think the router security keys are ever displayed there anyways.
---
Nintendo Network ID: db-132