Advance Wars' Universe

#1middays_deepPosted 7/22/2013 3:51:37 PM
If another Advance Wars game ever comes out, what Universe should it be set in? - Results (175 votes)
The same Universe as AW1, 2, and Dual Strike
46.29% (81 votes)
The same Universe as Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict
20.57% (36 votes)
A new Universe (Describe it if you want)
16% (28 votes)
What's an Airport?
17.14% (30 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I like the Universe of the first 3 games the best so I'd rather it be set there. I wouldn't complain if a new setting was used, though.
---
You want gold? Fine, you scoundrel. Let me just... oops!
#2Newman8Posted 7/22/2013 3:54:46 PM
I never played Dark Conflict, but wasn't that much more darker and depressing than the original universe? The colorfulness and cartoonish look of the first games seemed so out of place for a game about war.
---
3DS FC: 4038-6119-7822
Official Newman8 of every board
#3middays_deep(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2013 3:58:16 PM
Newman8 posted...
I never played Dark Conflict, but wasn't that much more darker and depressing than the original universe? The colorfulness and cartoonish look of the first games seemed so out of place for a game about war.

Yeah, it's the darker one. I still enjoyed it, but I prefer the light-hearted atmosphere of the first 3 games. However, I did enjoy the gameplay tweaks of Days of Ruin the most.
---
You want gold? Fine, you scoundrel. Let me just... oops!
#4themegaman7Posted 7/22/2013 4:06:29 PM
A new universe with more serious tone akin to that of DoA. Then have the crazy amounts of content from Dual Strike and we have a winner.
---
3DS FC: 0817-3836-3544 - PSN: Expa0
- The official Doppelganger of SMT IV boards -
#5DirtyHarry11Posted 7/22/2013 4:21:45 PM
AW fan here, there's nothing wrong with the colorful and lighthearted approach of AW 1, 2 and Dual Strike, but I quite enjoyed the darker and bleaker story and visuals of Days of Ruin. The games are about war and can get pretty punishing too if you make even one wrong move at some parts, and because of this I feel the bleaker tones fit the game play more.

I would love a Days of Ruin sequel to 3DS with an upgrade of graphics (improved battle sequences, nicer looking grids and environments, etc etc).
#6IrateGameFAQerPosted 7/22/2013 4:21:48 PM
DoR "darkness" ruined the game for me. The fact it tried to be more "mature/gritty" was terrible. The game play itself/rebalancing was great. But going through the story was a chore and it was laughable at best.

AW was never a "gritty" war strategy game. Part of the charm of the serious was its comedic/light hearted take on war.

If I wanted to play a "dark" war strat game I have tons of options across multiple platforms that do that specific theme justice. AW wasn't and will never be that game
---
#1 Chris Bores fan!
#7DirtyHarry11Posted 7/22/2013 4:22:40 PM
themegaman7 posted...
A new universe with more serious tone akin to that of DoA. Then have the crazy amounts of content from Dual Strike and we have a winner.

Great idea too
#8Xenesis XenonPosted 7/22/2013 6:52:59 PM(edited)
Personally, I don't care as long as they keep the massively improved gameplay from AW4.

The style is a taste thing, I enjoyed both.

That being said, AW is probably dead forever. No waifus, my units and levelling up to bypass strategy to give the series the mass appeal to sell millions of copies.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#9Shadowman621Posted 7/22/2013 7:00:26 PM
It's gotta be in the same style as the first three games. The whole Wars series has always been this bright colorful series and is not supposed to be too serious.
---
Official Roof Fiddler and Maestro of the NDF
3DS FC: 0516-7288-9163 Handle: Brandon
#10Kuyama-kunPosted 7/22/2013 7:01:18 PM
Those results are bizarre. If you count up the opinions in non-poll threads about a new AW, most people claim to prefer DoR/DC.