Animal Crossing is racist.

#1AlexxPBPosted 7/23/2013 8:51:37 AM
Because you can't choose to be black when you start the game.

Don't come saying "you can get a tan" because you know...that's not the point.

Also, saying you can go to the saloon to wear your black mii mask is also stupid. You can also get a sex change in the saloon and that kinda makes things worse.

AC is a game all about customization and I think it's a little racist that you can't be a black person.
Apparently, for these japanese devs, "black" is just a color you aquire by going to a saloon or by going to the beach.
---
"Turn on the power, kill zombies. Rinse and repeat which is a conspiracy by the shampoo commercials. You don't really have to wash your hair twice."
#2Bikes-Posted 7/23/2013 8:53:48 AM
Yeah, AC really needs to get a proper character creator next iteration, the options are so lacking atm.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#3MaeluunPosted 7/23/2013 8:55:35 AM
Idk about intentionally racist, but I was a bit bummed my character can't look anything like me because of no darker skin options. Ah well. Hopefully next game will have more customization.
---
Attention-starved old people: "Stay away from the summoner!!"
#4Grand_BluePosted 7/23/2013 9:02:09 AM
Of course it is, it's made in Japan and Japan is 98.5% Japanese, the rest 1.5% are mostly other Asian cultures, although there are some Brazilians, Americans, and Peruvians mixed in there (which are tan at the most.) The number of black people in Japan must be so minuscule that it's probably normal for a Japanese person to go years without ever seeing a black person.
---
The Boondocks on Adult Swim is my favorite anime.
#5wisemiddsPosted 7/23/2013 9:02:39 AM
Give me a break
---
3DS friend code: 3652 - 0628 - 9229
XBL, PSN: wisemidds
#6ElectricNovaPosted 7/23/2013 9:06:53 AM
I wouldn't say that is racist, as in discrimination against black people.

It's more of a complete lack of representation of race, which can be irritating in a game based around customisation where you're meant to be playing yourself.

Again, I don't think there is any malicious racist intent, more that in Japan they kinda forget Black people exist.
---
"France is a place for beauty....and beauty makes people want to sex you..." Nightinangle, on the topic of France
Official Rayquaza of X and Y boards
#7boring_namePosted 7/23/2013 9:07:01 AM
Grand_Blue posted...
Of course it is, it's made in Japan and Japan is 98.5% Japanese, the rest 1.5% are mostly other Asian cultures, although there are some Brazilians, Americans, and Peruvians mixed in there (which are tan at the most.) The number of black people in Japan must be so minuscule that it's probably normal for a Japanese person to go years without ever seeing a black person.


The developers know they're not just developing the game for Japan though.
#8Grand_BluePosted 7/23/2013 9:08:00 AM
Well it isn't really racist, they just don't care or overlooked it.
---
The Boondocks on Adult Swim is my favorite anime.
#9boring_namePosted 7/23/2013 9:09:39 AM
But, yeah, this isn't racism. Oversight? Yeah most definitely. Racism? Nah, that's not what that is.
#10MetalShadow438Posted 7/23/2013 9:12:36 AM
Pokemon managed to figure it out, I hope the next Animal Crossing does too.
---
http://i.imgur.com/piMWR.gif
3DS FC: 3652 1490 4347