So I've been playing aLttP in anticipation of the sequel..

#1jedinatPosted 7/27/2013 7:07:17 PM
How similar do you guys think the sequel will be?

I'm slogging through dungeons post master sword right now, and I'm hoping the sequel will be, I dunno... a little less bloodless. What I mean is, while some puzzles are rather clever, the dungeons are feeling workmanlike, inorganic. It's key-gathering, flipping switches, pushing obstacles. It's not, like in the 3D zeldas, pausing to look around and examine areas and thinking through 3 dimensional problems, figuring out what can interact with what, etc...

Looking at a new room in alttp, you see everything right there, every object is easily identifiable glob of sprites, you go from room to room unlocking and killing enemies, yadda yadda... I dunno how to put it. It's not that the puzzles are necessarily less complex, it's like you're playing Chip's Challenge or something (remember that game? lol), the dungeons are sort of... too logical oriented? (even though they're not all that cerebral so far)

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm hoping we're going to be seeing radically different gameplay. The dungeon (and other areas) they've shown in the preview isn't all that encouraging.

Also I hope the narrative doesn't suck.
#2RPGNinja123Posted 7/27/2013 7:10:18 PM
What I mean is, while some puzzles are rather clever, the dungeons are feeling workmanlike, inorganic. It's key-gathering, flipping switches, pushing obstacles. It's not, like in the 3D zeldas, pausing to look around and examine areas and thinking through 3 dimensional problems, figuring out what can interact with what, etc...

A lot of Zeldas feel like that though whether it is in 2D or 3D. I am still waiting for Zelda to just bite the bullet and go into full RPG mode. They are having an identity crisis and becoming really stale.
---
3DS FC- 0232-8140-1787(send PM if u add) RPGs are the best genre.
#3LaManoNeraIIPosted 7/27/2013 7:54:55 PM
What I've seen of Link going 2D on the walls so far is pretty clever. The parts of the dungeon you that required it didn't appear obvious at all, so it seems like a new and fresh mechanic.
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#4jedinat(Topic Creator)Posted 7/27/2013 8:09:25 PM
LaManoNeraII posted...
What I've seen of Link going 2D on the walls so far is pretty clever. The parts of the dungeon you that required it didn't appear obvious at all, so it seems like a new and fresh mechanic.

True, that feature is promising...
#5xenos74Posted 7/27/2013 8:41:28 PM
They've also talked about layers on the game when they showed it on Nintendo direct. You don't necessarily see everything in a room when you enter it, which is why they had Link bounce up to another platform above the room displayed, etc.

I remember playing lttp when I was very young, so I'll eagerly await this one just to see where the world goes after the events we already saw.
---
PSN ID: Rarsis
#6gilv3rPosted 7/27/2013 10:26:23 PM
You could have just typed you dont like top down zelda games.

Oh and too bad. I hate the 3d zelda games this is a treat for people like me.
---
PC/PS3/3DS
#7mrjack3112Posted 7/27/2013 10:35:28 PM
Haven't played alttp in over 4 years. Like SS the next time I play it I just want it to be 'new'
#8helldewPosted 7/27/2013 10:41:32 PM
gilv3r posted...
You could have just typed you dont like top down zelda games.

Oh and too bad. I hate the 3d zelda games this is a treat for people like me.

ALTTP 2 is the most 3D zelda there is :p
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.
#9DBPanterAPosted 7/27/2013 11:04:11 PM
I don't know, I personally prefer the 2D Zelda to the 3D ones as the last several offerings on the home consoles have not been to the point where I would want or have replayed them. I am not saying they are bad games, I just never went for another plunge in those worlds. . .

I will always regard ALttP as my favorite game in the series. And yes, I did play and beat the 2 iterations on the NES prior, so that makes me old in these parts.

The fact Nintendo chose to release Windwaker HD a month prior with a simple paint job and at $50 is not enough to pull my attention away from A Link Between Worlds. Heck, I am not buying Donkey Kong either as Zelda takes priority.

I also honestly believe we will see ALttP on the 3DS as a pre-order bonus or a eShop offering prior to A Link Between Worlds. If that is the case, that would make 12 of the 16 Zelda games playable on the 3DS (currently ALttP, MM, WW, TP, and SS are not playable).
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#10DirtyHarry11Posted 7/27/2013 11:26:39 PM
DBPanterA posted...
I also honestly believe we will see ALttP on the 3DS as a pre-order bonus or a eShop offering prior to A Link Between Worlds. If that is the case, that would make 12 of the 16 Zelda games playable on the 3DS (currently ALttP, MM, WW, TP, and SS are not playable).

If they did that it people would start going crazy about SNES games coming to the eshop for 3DS. I'm not sure if Nintendo will ever bring them, but if they do, ALttP would be a great way to kick it off (and would probably be a top seller as well as its new sequel).