New SMB series and DKCR questions.

#1Justice98405Posted 8/2/2013 4:19:12 PM
I want to get Donkey Kong Country Returns, but two things. One, I hear it's really difficult, and I don't like difficult games, I play for enjoyment. And two, the 3DS version looks great, and I'm thinking of just getting that version. Any thoughts and opinions would be welcome.

And then the New Super Mario Brothers series. I've never played any of them. Where's a good place to start? Just get the Wii U game? Or is one of the older games, maybe for the DS or Wii, worth getting first? This is a series that I'll almost only be playing single-player, by the way. Again, thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.
---
To the mattresses.
3DS code: 2621-3902-1737, PSN: Justice_98405, Xbox Live: Justice98405
#2HiiiiiTechnicalPosted 8/2/2013 4:33:49 PM
Yes, the Wii U NSMBU is excellent, the only complaint people seem to have is that it isn't very original compared to its predecessors, but, you wouldn't have that problem because you haven't played them.

As for DKCR, some of the levels seem to be long, but not that challenging, maybe that's because I'm only at world 3. I do die a lot on the mine cart levels though
---
And so I strike, like an unseen dodgeball in an echoing gymnasium
#3plasmatic5Posted 8/2/2013 4:50:36 PM
HiiiiiTechnical posted...
Yes, the Wii U NSMBU is excellent, the only complaint people seem to have is that it isn't very original compared to its predecessors, but, you wouldn't have that problem because you haven't played them.

As for DKCR, some of the levels seem to be long, but not that challenging, maybe that's because I'm only at world 3. I do die a lot on the mine cart levels though

The mine cart levels get ridiculous. Honestly, I think DKCR is one of the best platformers to come out in a while. NSMBU is really good too (best in the New series) but DKCR is better inmo. Both games can be pretty difficult but NSMBU is definitely easier.
---
My Superheroes consist of the band members of the Who, Led Zeppelin, and The Beatles
#4ChaaxisPosted 8/2/2013 5:54:17 PM
I haven't played SMBU, but I have DKCR 3D and have beaten it on the Original Mode, where it is the same as the Wii version. Some levels are pretty difficult, but overall it's balanced. You could play on the New Mode that makes things a little easier your first time through. More hearts, potions that let you take more hits on mine cart and rocket stages, etc. It's a great game.
---
Video game fans have made me lose all faith in the intelligence of mankind. I hope you're not all like this.
3DS Friend Code: 3737-9608-2352
#5ibrokethedamPosted 8/2/2013 8:37:53 PM
Yeah, the new mode in DKCR 3D is pretty much what you're looking for as far as making the game less difficult. So, you shouldn't really worry about it being too hard. Note that the new mode is only available for the 3DS version, so that is definitely the version you want to get.

As far as NSMB is concerned, I recommend getting both NSMB 2 and NSMB U. NSMB 2 gets a lot of (somewhat deserved) criticism for being too similar to the first two games, but that's not a problem for you since you haven't played the others, and I find the levels themselves to be very fun.

If that's not enough Mario for you, the one for the Wii is also good, I just don't think it's quite as good as the two mentioned above. I personally don't like the first one for the DS, and you probably want to stay away from the NSMB U Luigi DLC because the levels have a short time limit and can be pretty difficult.
#6imameliaPosted 8/2/2013 10:25:45 PM
About Donkey Kong Country Returns: Get it. It currently stands as my favorite game (ever, not just Wii/3DS), and I actually own both versions of it. The Wii version does look slightly better, but the 3DS version has 8 extra levels and an easier difficulty setting, so you may want that one. And yeah, the game is certainly on the difficult side, though I don't normally like difficult games either and I had a blast with it (though that might be because it's a 2D platformer, my best genre). I haven't tried the easier setting, but yes, definitely give it a shot.

About New Super Mario Bros.: Start with any of them; it doesn't really matter. As much flak as the games get for having so much recycled content, I enjoyed every one of them. I'd say NSMBU is better than NSMBWii, which is better than the others, and NSMB2 and the original NSMB are about equal (I like the overall design of the first one better, but NSMB2 does have slightly better level design and a lot fewer Mini Mushroom-requiring secrets). I suppose NSMBU is as good a place as any to start, though be prepared for the others—if you get them—not looking as nice as it does. NSMB2 is probably the easiest, between the near-infinite lives you get and the general lack of "That One Level" compared to the others.
#7NeonYoshi11Posted 8/3/2013 12:12:02 AM
There is an easy mode where you basically get twice as many lives or heart pieces or whatever they are.