Why are Game Gear games on the eshop but not Genesis?

#1MetalGearOnAcidPosted 8/3/2013 8:33:15 AM
And don't say it's because the Game Gear games were portable. Nes games were on a home console and those are on the eshop. I feel like it's a missed opportunity. As much as I love Sonic games, the game gear ones are not on par with the Genesis titles by a longshot. : (
---
Friend code: 4699-5979-0399
#2jovewolfPosted 8/3/2013 8:34:37 AM
Because the Sega equivalent to the NES would be the SMS not the Genesis/Mega Drive?
---
"Don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you."
#3stargazer64Posted 8/3/2013 8:35:37 AM
Maybe they fear the backlash from when customers start to realize that they already bought these games on the Wii
---
"...so much wrong with this post it reached critical mass and became a black hole of ignorance from which no educated thought can escape." - GenocideH
#4Sir_HaxorPosted 8/3/2013 8:35:54 AM
Why are Gameboy games on the eshop and not SNES?

*buy a JPN 3DS. They have the genesis titles apparently.
---
Half naked teenage demon boy is as good as it gets- MetaLoki
The Official Anguished One and Chaos Hero of the SMTIV board
#5MetalGearOnAcid(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 8:44:52 AM
Because the Sega equivalent to the NES would be the SMS not the Genesis/Mega Drive?

The Genesis was made to compete with the NES. The Super Nes didn't even come out for 2 years after the Genesis. Stop splitting hairs. The Master System and the Genesis were barely different anyway.

Maybe they fear the backlash from when customers start to realize that they already bought these games on the Wii

That never stopped them before. Do you realize how many times the original Mario Bros has been ported to gba or the virtual console etc etc...
---
#6jovewolfPosted 8/3/2013 9:06:12 AM
MetalGearOnAcid posted...

The Genesis was made to compete with the NES. The Super Nes didn't even come out for 2 years after the Genesis. Stop splitting hairs. The Master System and the Genesis were barely different anyway.

Yeah except that the Mark III/SMS came out 2 years after the Famicom/NES so it was directly competing with the NES too - in fact the SMS controllers and zapper were specifically designed to emulate those of the Famicom/NES.

More to the point the Game Gear is quite literally a portable SMS technologically - there was even an adapter that would let you play SMS games in a Game Gear.

Also saying that the SMS and Genesis were barely different is like saying that the NES and SNES were barely different - is that really what you're trying to say here?
---
"Don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you."
#7MacBookAirPosted 8/3/2013 9:14:41 AM
I just want to know why I've yet to get Sonic The Hedgehog 3D or Sonic 2 yet.
---
microsoft sucks lol
#8Darkstorm16Posted 8/3/2013 9:30:13 AM
Because minus the NES it seems handheld vc is aimed at handheld gaming and console VC is aimed at consoles, you start mixing the two and it makes the other less special.
---
Pro gamer equality- 1 person is pro gamer which means doesnt matter who makes the system you like what you like. PM me and I'll increase the number if you agree
#9MetalGearOnAcid(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 9:34:33 AM
You made my original point exactly. The Master System games were ported perfectly on the Game Gear not because the Game Gear was amazing technology, but because the Master System wasn't as good as the Genesis. The Genesis was the TRUE competitor to the NES while the Master System was more like a giant home system that played portable quality games. The GameBoy didn't play ports of Mario or anything. It got its own games because it was way less powerful. So my point was if NES games can be on the eshop, why can't Genesis games. Game Gear games being on there is just like having Game Boy games on there. Yea they're great, but if NES games can be on there, Genesis games would be the equivalent, not Master System/Game Gear.
---
#10MacBookAirPosted 8/3/2013 9:49:53 AM(edited)
MetalGearOnAcid posted...
You made my original point exactly. The Master System games were ported perfectly on the Game Gear not because the Game Gear was amazing technology, but because the Master System wasn't as good as the Genesis. The Genesis was the TRUE competitor to the NES while the Master System was more like a giant home system that played portable quality games. The GameBoy didn't play ports of Mario or anything. It got its own games because it was way less powerful. So my point was if NES games can be on the eshop, why can't Genesis games. Game Gear games being on there is just like having Game Boy games on there. Yea they're great, but if NES games can be on there, Genesis games would be the equivalent, not Master System/Game Gear.

Because the Genesis was supposed to be the start of the 16-bit era and the SNES was created to fight the Genesis, and both consoles are part of the fourth generation of gaming?

If the Genesis was designed to compete against the NES, was the Saturn designed to compete against the SNES because it came out first? Or the Dreamcast the N64 because it came out first?

Yes, initially competed, but the tactic was because it was designed as a successor for the Master System, not to compete with the NES. Sega simply got to 16-bit before Nintendo did.

The Xbox 360 came out before the PS3 did and faced competition from the PS2. Was it made to fight the PS2? No, it was made to be a successor to the Xbox. Because it happened to arrive before the PS3 does not make it a PS2 rival.

Now, am I saying this is an excuse for not having Genesis titles on the eShop? Of course not, I'd love to have genesis titles. I'm still waiting for Sonic 2 in my pocket. I'm just clearing up what you're saying.
---
microsoft sucks lol