Homepass manual for rooted Android phones (abusing Streetpass relay)

#1nonexistingheroPosted 8/12/2013 2:14:35 PM
A few days ago people managed to figure out how to abuse the Streetpass relay feature. It's a method to get Streetpasses over the internet. It's basically a way to connect to Nintendo Zone hotspots all over the world, though specific ones are used (mostly created for this purpose).

I didn't invent this method, I'm just posting it here. I didn't invent the term Homepass either, but I like it. I can't link to the site, but I think the method itself is legal. There's many other methods for a variety of devices, but I decided to post a simple, but safe method that hopefully many folks here can use.

You need to download Wi-Fi Tether (preferably version 3.4 Experimental)! You need one of the latest versions, since any earlier ones don't support MAC spoofing.

https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Requirements:
- rooted Android phone
- 3DS
Optional (for checking):
- Busybox (Android app)
- A terminal

Install the app on your phone. Don't really need to change the settings much, but here's mine:
- Device profile: Samsung Galaxy S2 (most people seem to get it to work with Generic ICS/JB (wlan0). Test them all if these don't work for you, or select your phone).
- Setup: Auto
- SSID: attwifi
- Mac Spoof: on
- Change MAC: 4E-53-50-4F-4F-4X <-- replace the X with any number from 0-9 or letter from A-F. The 6 is used as the preferred prime, so mine right now is 4E-53-50-4F-4F-46. I recommend cycling them).
- Routing fix: on
- Vibrate on connect: checked (prolly doesn't matter)
- Disable Update-Check: checked (doesn't matter)
- Disable Wake-Lock: checked (prolly doesn't matter)

For me, it doesn't work if I have any of the WiFi-driver reload options checked. It seems to mess it up for me and it won't get spoofed well. Dunno about Send Netd Max Client and Send No Tether-Interface, but I have them unchecked.

You can check if it works with the terminal app with the command "busybox iplink show wlan0" (without quotation marks). And yes, you do need busybox installed to check it.

That's what I'm using. Hope it works and I hope to Homepass some of you guys. I have a brown Mii from the Netherlands, wearing a crown. If you encounter that dude shouting that you should watch One Piece... well, yeah, that's me.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#2yankee6903Posted 8/12/2013 2:18:20 PM(edited)
People love their streetpasses too much

..or is it streetpassi?
#3nonexistinghero(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2013 2:19:39 PM
Streetpasses is definitely correct. And yes, people do like them. I'm happy I can now do it with people all around the world. Already got over 30 people today :)
---
#4GollyFluffPosted 8/12/2013 2:35:29 PM(edited)
I might do this when I figure out what a rooted android phone is. I have the android phone, just gotta find a way to tack on that adjective.

EDIT: On second thought, it might just ruin streetpassing for me. I think I'll wait since I just moved to a new area.
---
"Captain Falcon wasn't confirmed for Brawl. Brawl was confirmed for Captain Falcon."
#5jedinatPosted 8/12/2013 2:44:30 PM(edited)
Tried it on my tablet... doesn't seem to be working. How long does it take to get a streetpass? I checked it with busybox/a terminal and got a little info dumb that doesn't mean much to me... how do I know if it's working? lol
#6rizsparkyPosted 8/12/2013 2:45:26 PM
jedinat posted...
Tried it on my tablet... doesn't seem to be working. How long does it take to get a streetpass? I checked it with busybox/a terminal and got a little info dumb that doesn't mean much to me... how do I know if it's working? lol

You need mobile data for it to work.
---
3DS FC: 4597-0164-7987 ACNL: Riz from Duskwind
PSN: Rizsparky
#7jedinatPosted 8/12/2013 2:46:39 PM
rizsparky posted...
jedinat posted...

You need mobile data for it to work.

Ah, well oh well then. lol.
#8vu_cometPosted 8/12/2013 2:49:13 PM
People are never satisfied with out trying to abuse the system...
---
With your bad back, I don't think you should be picking up any girls.
Van Morrison is still a really cool cat. O.K.?
#9nonexistinghero(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2013 2:49:23 PM
jedinat posted...

Maybe a minute or so, maybe a few. Depends on when the 3DS starts to connect. If you leave it open it tries regularly and it shouldn't take more than 1-2 minutes. And yes, your Android needs to be able to connect to the internet. Mine just uses my home wireless connection though, but I think from 3G or 4G should work as well. The Wi-Fi Tether app for me usually says roughly 180 for downloaded data and 190 for uploaded data, give or take a bit.
---
#10jedinatPosted 8/12/2013 2:50:36 PM
nonexistinghero posted...
jedinat posted...

Maybe a minute or so, maybe a few. Depends on when the 3DS starts to connect. If you leave it open it tries regularly and it shouldn't take more than 1-2 minutes. And yes, your Android needs to be able to connect to the internet. Mine just uses my home wireless connection though, but I think from 3G or 4G should work as well. The Wi-Fi Tether app for me usually says roughly 180 for downloaded data and 190 for uploaded data, give or take a bit.

Wait so you don't need data, just a wifi connection?