Homepass manual for Windows 7/8

#1nonexistingheroPosted 8/13/2013 12:29:01 PM
Hi there, it's me again. It seems like there's a method now for Windows for the Homepass.

Short explanation: Homepass makes use othe the Streetpass relay function to gather Streetpasses from people all around the world.

Again, I didn't come up with this method (did help a bit). Can't link to the site, which is why I'm posting the explanation here. Google for gbatemp and browse the forums if you're looking for more info.

Credits go to luyaoting from gbatemp to come up with the method to set it up. And credits for the MAC Cycle go to Chaldron for coming up with an executable script to so you can sit back and do nothing while Streetpasses come in every few minutes.

MAC Cycle download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ac95454c8vuto5i/MAC_Cycle_3.1.zip

You might need to put macshift in the C folder (the root). Not sure. Download here if you think you may need it, but I think MAC Cycle doesn't need it anymore.
http://devices.natetrue.com/macshift/

Cycles the 16 prime MAC addresses that are used. There might be a version that cycles over 100 upcoming.

Setup
For everyone who wants to create an AP with Windows7/8
You need:
A. a computer/laptop/tablet with built-in wireless network card
or
B. a computer/laptop/tablet with a wifi USB dongle (wireless USB adapter)

(*Because of the limitation of WIN7/8, the second hex digit of the MAC must be 2, 6, a or e)
(*ethernet is unnecessary)
(*don't need any software to change MAC)
(*don't need any software to create hosted network with built-in wireless network card)

=>If you are using [A. a computer with built-in wireless network card]

Fist, change your MAC
1.open [Device Manager]
2.find your wireless network card under [Network adapters], and double click on it
3.click [Advanced] tab
4.select something like [Network Address] or [Locally Administered Address] in [Property]
section
5.select [Value:] and enter the MAC address you want ([Not Present] is the default)
6.press [OK]

Then, create a hosted network
WIN7: press [Start], enter [cmd] and hit [Enter], right click on [cmd] and select [Run as
asministrator]
WIN8: open [charm bar], press [Search], enter [cmd], right click on [cmd] and select [Run as
asministrator]
2.input [netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=attwifi key=password](change "password"
to any passwork you want)
3.input [netsh wlan start hostednetwork]
(*you can input [netsh wlan stop hostednetwork] to turn off the hostednetwork)
(*you can input [netsh wlan show hostednetwork] to show the configure)
4.go to [Control Panel]=>([Network and Internet]=>)[Network and Sharing Center]
5.you will see [attwifi] there, it will show [Local Area Connetction*##] after [Connections:]
(## could be any number)
6.find the network which is connected to the Internet, click the words after [Connections:]
to open the status
7.click [Properties], click [Sharing] tab, check [Allow other network users to connect
through this computer's Internet connection], and select [Local Area Connetction*##] (the
connection of the hostednetwork[attwifi]) (maybe you don't need to select because you only
have two connections)
8.press [OK]

Finally, change your 3DS network settings
1.open your 3DS, open [System Settings], click [Internet Settings], search [attwifi] and
enter the passwork
2.close [System Settings]
Last step: turn your 3DS into sleep mode (suggest) and wait for streetpass!
(*you can't use nintendo zone app because your are using an AP with encryption)
(*your hosted network will stop automatically whenever you change your MAC)

---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#2nonexistinghero(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2013 12:29:17 PM
=>If you are using [B. a computer with a wifi USB dongle (wireless USB adapter)]

Fist, change your wifi USB dongle's MAC
1.open [Device Manager]
2.find your wifi USB dongle under [Network adapters], and double click on it
3.click [Advanced] tab
4.select something like [Network Address] or [Locally Administered Address] in [Property]
section
5.select [Value:] and enter the MAC address you want ([Not Present] is the default)
6.press [OK]

Then, change your soft-ap's SSID to [attwifi]
you could either retain the encryption or remove the encryption
If you remove the encryption:
Just turn your 3DS into sleep mode (suggest) and wait for streetpass!
If you retain the encryption:
1.open your 3DS, open [System Settings], click [Internet Settings], search [attwifi] and
enter the passwork
2.close [System Settings]
Last step: turn your 3DS into sleep mode (suggest) and wait for streetpass!
(*you can't use nintendo zone app because your are using an AP with encryption)

==================================================================
Because I'm a Taiwanese (Chinese), it's hard for me to make this [HOW-TO]. Maybe there is
something that I didn't express clearly. I'll be glad if someone points out my mistakes

After you're done with either of these methods, you can just unpack MAC Cycle and let it run. Just wait a bit and set the time in seconds (I'd do at least 2-3 minutes).

With this method though, your internet might break up regularly, because the wireless adapter is switched on and off every X amount of time (depending on how much time you set). To make the method a bit less annoying, you could connect an ethernet cable to your laptop/pc and disconnect from the wireless network. Make sure that you share the ethernet connection with the LAN after putting the cable in.

Lemme know if it works for you. I'm sure there must be a decent amount of people here who can use this method (since almost any laptop will do).
---
#3SalogyPosted 8/13/2013 2:44:01 PM
This looks slightly complicated but I've set my ip to a static address before. Will try this later today and I hope it works.

The local McDonalds in my town doesn't work for the relay. I can connect to the Nintendo Zone and download stuff but I get no SPes for some reason.
---
"In truth, they haven't been allowed for ages, we've just never enforced the rule" -SineNomine on presigs
#4nonexistinghero(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2013 2:49:18 PM
Probably because almost no one ever visits it with their 3DS in sleep mode. It seems complicated, but if you follow the instructions it's actually pretty simple.

I'm not sure for how many people it would work though. It looks like a method that could work for everyone that meets the requirements, but people might encounter some weird problems like it just not working. For the Android method the settings often need to be different per phone (even among users of the same type of phone). But this should hopefully work universally.
---
#5Lord_XandrosPosted 8/13/2013 4:27:05 PM
Hah, didn't expect to hit a wall within the first few steps. I have two Wireless adapters, and neither have any options in the Property to change their addresses.

Poop :(
#6jordandrakoPosted 8/13/2013 4:32:36 PM
I'm connected just fine to the network, the nintendo zone icon is flashing and everything. But after about ten minutes of cycling, I still haven't gotten any streetpasses...
---
i5-3570k @ 4.0Ghz | Gigabyte GTX670 | M4 128GB SSD | 2.5TB HDD | DDR3 1600 8GB | 520W
http://imgur.com/a/uSBwE
#7TaaronPosted 8/13/2013 4:45:07 PM
Another thing for me to look into.
---
Nothing wrong with a 40 year old man watching anime intended for 5 year old Japanese girls.
#8ChaldronPosted 8/13/2013 5:24:09 PM
Hey guys! It's me, Chaldron, the creator of MAC Cycle.

Just wanted to mention, you don't need to put anything with MAC Cycle. Starting Version 3, MAC Cycle can be put anywhere. macshift is already included. Just run the downloaded program.

Also, I'll be putting updates on GBA temp, so check there for updates.
I'll PM the OP of this post to see if he can add the updated links when they come around. Also yes, the version that cycles over 100 MACs is in progress. They will be available in two separate versions, one that cycles the prime 15 and one that cycles all 100 in that octet.

Thanks again to nonexistinghero for posting this here!

-Chaldron, GBA Temp
#9ChaldronPosted 8/13/2013 5:25:35 PM
Chaldron posted...
Hey guys! It's me, Chaldron, the creator of MAC Cycle.

Just wanted to mention, you don't need to put anything with MAC Cycle. Starting Version 3, MAC Cycle can be put anywhere. macshift is already included. Just run the downloaded program.

Also, I'll be putting updates on GBA temp, so check there for updates.
I'll PM the OP of this post to see if he can add the updated links when they come around. Also yes, the version that cycles over 100 MACs is in progress. They will be available in two separate versions, one that cycles the prime 15 and one that cycles all 100 in that octet.

Thanks again to nonexistinghero for posting this here!

-Chaldron, GBA Temp

Oops, forgot to mention, you also need to have your adapter name "Wi-Fi". You can see the screenshot here: http://i.imgur.com/UtU3oD0.png
#10DeathSnipe777Posted 8/13/2013 5:32:02 PM
Is one able to still use the internet normally if they do this, or do you need to revert all the settings to normal? And sorry for nitpicking, but this can be done directly from your laptop without having to fiddle with your router settings directly, correct?
---
3DS FC: 3609-1047-7032
Steam / PSN / NNID: Marlouchu