Is Virtue's Last Reward worth buying? :-)

#1KevzDGPosted 8/19/2013 3:24:06 AM
Ok so I created a topic yesterday and the people told me that VLC is better than PXZ......

So tell me now, what makes this worth the money? :-)
#2AlbinosquidPosted 8/19/2013 3:30:26 AM(edited)
I'd highly recommend you play its prequel 999 before jumping into this game.

That aside, yes the game is worth buying. Good voice acting, gameplay, story, ect.

There is a glitch of sorts that can erase your save file if you save in puzzle rooms. As long as you don't everything will be a-ok.

I encountered the glitch myself and because I saved outside the puzzle room, I was fine.
---
Hnnnnng I can't even
#3spealfan444Posted 8/19/2013 3:34:51 AM(edited)
Do the games have any relation? I thought VLR was just a "Spiritual Successor" to 999.
---
These boards are a creature of Chaos, they may take many incarnations.
AC: New Leaf Dream Address: 5900-2254-6770. Come visit my town!
#4AlbinosquidPosted 8/19/2013 3:41:31 AM(edited)
The Zero escape series are like episodes.

999 is the first episode, VLR is the second episode, and the unannounced title being worked on is the third.

You don't NEED to play 999 first, but its highly recommended.

999 is a great game with great narrative and characters. Some of those characters return in VLR and even though VLR does a decent job of explaining back story some still might feel a little lost.
---
Hnnnnng I can't even
#5KevzDG(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2013 3:40:23 AM
Wait... does this mean I won't get bored in playing this game?
#6BeanBeanKingdomPosted 8/19/2013 3:43:55 AM
That depends. The story is insanely interesting and is unlikely to have you bored, and the gameplay's great too. However, there's an endless amount of narration and dialogue in the game (being a visual novel), so if that's not your cup of tea, you might get bored. Try out the demo on the eShop, if it's still there.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#7AlbinosquidPosted 8/19/2013 3:44:01 AM
Well thats kinda up to you isn't it? I'm not familiar with what genres you're into. VLR (and 999) are suspense Visual Novels with puzzles integrated to advance the story.

Its not everybody's cup of tea.
---
Hnnnnng I can't even
#8SoeroahPosted 8/19/2013 4:24:20 AM
spealfan444 posted...
Do the games have any relation? I thought VLR was just a "Spiritual Successor" to 999.

It was initially described as such.

It is not the case.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9Km7WW2aE
Best console war summary ever. TL;DR version at 2:05.
#9randomshemsPosted 8/19/2013 5:22:08 AM
The games are ever so slightly connected o_o
---
Lets tear through nature together So we may see the face of god.
#10BeanBeanKingdomPosted 8/19/2013 5:23:32 AM
It's a direct sequel. And by direct, I mean it (eventually) picks up exactly from the scene 999 left off.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.