Did the 3DS kill the 3DT V hype back in 2010/2011?

#1oOo_SOX_oOoPosted 8/19/2013 8:03:38 PM
Back in 2010 remember the huge push toward 3D? Avatar came out in theaters and then everyone was like "OMG 3D", then on the news you would constantly hear chatter about how the 3D TV were coming real fast and were going to be mainstream. Then SONY announced that 3D PS3 TV thing and showed the glasses. Then there was all the chatter about how nex-gen was going to be 3D for sure.

I mean where did all that go? I feel like the moment Nintendo got on stage E3 2010 and said you dont need glasses for 3D, the whole 3D push completely died because consumers were like no if we dont need glasses then why do these TV's need em.

I legitimately think Nintendo killed the 3D push and now people wont buy 3D until we see it without glasses.
---
NY JETS
R.I.P. ZYZZ
#2Frost_LASERPosted 8/19/2013 8:16:36 PM
I think a lot of people were hesitant to watch/try it from their previous experiences back in the day 10-20 years ago. My boss accidentally ordered Star Trek into darkness 3D tickets instead of the regular show and ended up being blown away by the 3D effect after swearing it off before trying it because it made him sick once ten years ago.

I also think of my cousin and her kids. Their father bought them a 3DS XL and he played it once and got a headache from it and returned it, the kids said it made their eyes hurt too. They now play crap iPad games.

People just aren't willing to give it a chance and get used to it.
#3Sirian_HawkPosted 8/19/2013 8:32:34 PM
People realized (at least subconsciously) the flaw with 3D programming. As is, the only 3D you will use is during movies (and occasional games) and that accounts for probably less the 5% of your TV time. It isn't worth it to pay all that extra for a feature that will largely go unused. It, like HD, needs continual programming aka channels, to become viable.

However, then new problems arise. For one 3D is expensive and difficult (for true 3D, not just computer modified) so that is a problem for the networks. Second, it means viewers have to wear those annoying glasses all the time when watching TV, and that is just uncomfortable.

3DTV is not something that is realistically destined to succeed. There are just too many complications, and consumers desire simplicity in their products. If it is too much of a hassle, they won't buy it.
---
Welcome to Earth. It's chock full of stupid people doing stupid things. Constantly.
#4Tzuba12Posted 8/19/2013 9:10:14 PM
Sirian_Hawk posted...
People realized (at least subconsciously) the flaw with 3D programming. As is, the only 3D you will use is during movies (and occasional games) and that accounts for probably less the 5% of your TV time. It isn't worth it to pay all that extra for a feature that will largely go unused. It, like HD, needs continual programming aka channels, to become viable.

However, then new problems arise. For one 3D is expensive and difficult (for true 3D, not just computer modified) so that is a problem for the networks. Second, it means viewers have to wear those annoying glasses all the time when watching TV, and that is just uncomfortable.

3DTV is not something that is realistically destined to succeed. There are just too many complications, and consumers desire simplicity in their products. If it is too much of a hassle, they won't buy it.

You don't need glasses for all 3D TV's. Some work just like the 3DS.
---
3DS: 0146-8850-9059
Steam: Tzuba
#5Bancario51Posted 8/19/2013 9:12:00 PM
no 3DTV killed itself. Nintendo are theives that stole Sonys design and even lost a lawsuit, see link in the 3DS board. But no one seems to care because they dont even use the 3D feature anyways
---
#XboxWon (not changing this till its truth)
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#6mrjack3112Posted 8/19/2013 9:16:20 PM
Probably when Nintendo explain the complexity of the non glasses 3d it didn't seem like a great thing but a mere simple perception of how we view tv
#7mrjack3112Posted 8/19/2013 9:34:54 PM(edited)
Bancario51 posted...
no 3DTV killed itself. Nintendo are theives that stole Sonys design and even lost a lawsuit, see link in the 3DS board. But no one seems to care because they dont even use the 3D feature anyways

It's not the same thing. Though Nintendo did steal an idea from someone and created a different way to present the 3d and still got sued, it doesn't mean they did in fact steal a idea from sony
#8Sirian_HawkPosted 8/19/2013 9:33:24 PM
Tzuba12 posted...
You don't need glasses for all 3D TV's. Some work just like the 3DS.

Yes but supposedly the usable viewing angles on those are terrible last I heard (though to be fair I stopped paying attention to the tech awhile ago), and god help you if two people want to watch.
---
Welcome to Earth. It's chock full of stupid people doing stupid things. Constantly.
#9mikebrand83Posted 8/19/2013 9:35:26 PM
Bancario51 posted...

1: Seijiro Tomita was a former Sony engineer.
2: More recent update shows that the judge has deemed that Nintendo will only have to pay out $15 million, rather that the original $30 million Tomita wanted after being awarded the win.
3: And it's a take it or you might get nothing figure for Tomita, as the judge found that the $30 million claim was "intrinsically excessive and unsupported by the evidence presented at trial".

Source:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/424509/nintendo-must-pay-15m-to-ex-sony-engineer-over-3ds/
#10JKatarnPosted 8/19/2013 9:38:31 PM
No, Nintendo didn't kill 3D TV, that's ludicrous. The fact that you need a pair of fairly expensive 3D glasses for each viewer in a room (in addition to the pricey TV) all but killed mainstream 3D acceptance. The new buzzword is going to be 4K resolution in a year or two.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES