HELP!!! 3DS not working right! Blue light comes on, nothing else....

#1GeminiX7Posted 8/29/2013 4:58:23 PM
So, it all started yesterday, when walking around to different job interviews. My 3DS was in my backpack and I got caught in a pretty bad rainstorm. After getting a chance to sit down I saw my backpack itself was pretty thoroughly soaked, but the 3DS only seemed to have a little moisture on the outside of the system, possibly some on the top screen(can't remember). I wiped it off and started it up, no problem. I then put it and my Vita in a clean and dry plastic shopping bag to avoid anymore contact with water.

When I tried to use Find Mii for the first time on the system(I got a Streetpass) the game had a sort of wierd hiccup where none of the buttons or screen touches affected the system. I had to hold down the power button to force the system off. I thought it was wierd, but it turned back on normally.

Then, I started up Animal Crossing (digital version) and started playing that. About 15-20mins in, the game sorta froze, again, not taking any sort of input. I shut off the system once more, but when I turned it on, only the blue light(indicating it's on, I believe) turned on. The screen hasn't lit up, the 3D sign didn't turn on, no sound comes on. Fearing my system was water damaged, I put the thing in a bag of rice and put it on my window sill.

Just tried it now, still no luck. When I try plugging it in, the system shows the orange light, but nothing else(unless I try to turn it on, then it's blue and orange lights). The system had about half battery when this happened, so I doubt it's an issue with the battery. If it's water damage, will the bag of rice help? How long should it sit in there?

Please help, you're my only hope...
---
3DS FC: 0662-3353-4779
PSN: GeminiX7
#2Watt64Posted 8/29/2013 4:59:18 PM
I have no idea how to help. I'm sorry, though. *hugs*
---
"So, um, I really want to help. I'll be good, really!"
#3GeminiX7(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 4:59:29 PM
Also, its a regular Red 3DS, if that makes a difference. The system never had any falls or previous damage.
---
#4WillWarePosted 8/29/2013 5:05:48 PM
Have you tried contacting Nintendo? That might be a good idea, because we can't help you.
---
I'm not exactly "normal." Hope this isn't a problem.
Welcome to GameFAQs, where you automatically live in America.
#5TinyTim123Posted 8/29/2013 5:20:09 PM
Bag of rice for 48 to 72 hours. Open it up, pop out the battery, leave the back off in the rice. Try really really hard not to allow rice into any nooks and crevices in the 3DS with the battery removed.
The problem is, you've used it since it got wet, and it seems like that has affected system, and possibly fried something on the circuit board. I am almost certain you are going to have to send it in to Nintendo to get it fixed, and even if it were still under warranty, water damage is most certainly not covered.
If you get extraordinarily lucky, you could get away with a repair cost of about $45 to $50 (assuming you are in the USA). If you aren't lucky, it's gonna cost you $85+.
The secret is to be as respectful as possible with the tech who takes your phone call, even if you want to yell and scream at them. Those phone techs, they determine whether you will pay the full price, or the reduced price.
I realize you were out looking for a job too, and I'm really sorry, but sending your system in to Nintendo is pretty much the only way you will get to play your games again anytime soon, especially considering you have digital games. When you do send it in, include the note of everything you are packaging, and ask them to attempt to preserve your data (streetpass, Mii and so on).
I am really sorry that happened and hope you have better luck.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#6legendarylemurPosted 8/29/2013 5:22:05 PM
Use Recarm
---
"It's a gift... and a curse." - Monk
http://gaminglunatic.drupalgardens.com/ hello. this is my blog. thank you.
#7GeminiX7(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 5:25:51 PM
TinyTim123 posted...
Bag of rice for 48 to 72 hours. Open it up, pop out the battery, leave the back off in the rice. Try really really hard not to allow rice into any nooks and crevices in the 3DS with the battery removed.
The problem is, you've used it since it got wet, and it seems like that has affected system, and possibly fried something on the circuit board. I am almost certain you are going to have to send it in to Nintendo to get it fixed, and even if it were still under warranty, water damage is most certainly not covered.
If you get extraordinarily lucky, you could get away with a repair cost of about $45 to $50 (assuming you are in the USA). If you aren't lucky, it's gonna cost you $85+.
The secret is to be as respectful as possible with the tech who takes your phone call, even if you want to yell and scream at them. Those phone techs, they determine whether you will pay the full price, or the reduced price.
I realize you were out looking for a job too, and I'm really sorry, but sending your system in to Nintendo is pretty much the only way you will get to play your games again anytime soon, especially considering you have digital games. When you do send it in, include the note of everything you are packaging, and ask them to attempt to preserve your data (streetpass, Mii and so on).
I am really sorry that happened and hope you have better luck.

First my PS3 YOLD and now this.... just great T_T

All I have left now is my Wii, Vita and crappy lappy. This is the worst.
---
#8Pork_buttonmashPosted 8/29/2013 5:29:27 PM
^ All you need is a Vita... and maybe a Gameboy SP
---
I play women like I play videogames.... using cheat codes.
#9GeminiX7(Topic Creator)Posted 8/29/2013 5:34:18 PM
Pork_buttonmash posted...

B-B-B-But New Leaf, SMIV, Smash....

I guess I can go play... Katamari Damacy again.

Or eat up some of my delicious PSP RPG backlog...
---
#10TinyTim123Posted 8/29/2013 5:43:04 PM
GeminiX7 posted...
Pork_buttonmash posted...

B-B-B-But New Leaf, SMIV, Smash....

I guess I can go play... Katamari Damacy again.

Or eat up some of my delicious PSP RPG backlog...

I'm really sorry, man. I wish I could give you better news, but in this case, it really is best not to get your hopes up too much.
There's a reason I own Animal Crossing in a physical format; in the event something happens to my 3DS (launch Aqua one, by the way), I can borrow a friend's and keep playing. I would need that just for the catharsis f a stressful day. (Right now I am taking an undeserved break from homework, I stil have yet to have played Animal Crossing today.)
I have gone through something like 4 DSLites... mostly because I'd walk around places, and there was a time where I would get struck by a car every six months without fail... this went on for about three years, until I finally left California. I have yet to have been truck by a car here in New Mexico... but I kind of don't like New Mexico very much.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/