How is Mario and Luigi: Dream Team?

#1telocasterPosted 9/3/2013 4:15:59 PM
How is it?
---
Get Tales of Xillia (GOTY 2013)
#2BeanBeanKingdomPosted 9/3/2013 4:19:19 PM
It's a masterpiece and I find it the best Mario RPG. Very balanced in difficulty, great graphics, the best soundtrack ever, fun plot and battle systems and reeeeeeeeally long.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#3nintendoman562Posted 9/3/2013 4:45:21 PM(edited)
I gave up on the game after about 12 hours. It's easily my least favourite game on 3DS.

The tutorials never end. For the first 5 hours you literally can't go 10 steps without being interrupted by a tutorial. Yes, you can skip a few tutorials but there are literally dozens more. The following is a common occurrence in the game:
-You are interrupted by your partner because he wants to talk about badges.
-He forcibly guides you through the menus to get to the badges (he says every little thing like "press the start button", "push this part of the touch screen", etc).
-Then he talks a little bit about badges.
-He asks you "Do you want to know more about badges?", then you finally get the choice to skip the tutorial, even though you were already forced through half of it.
And you may be surprised to hear this, but this specific tutorial came up TEN HOURS into the game, after I had been using badges for the entire time. The tutorials never stopped in my entire playthrough.

Battles are shallow and monotonous. I swear for the first 4 hours all you can do is jump on enemies. Animations take forever to do, and enemies have so much health but are never difficult. Battles are a huge bore.

Platforming is done really poorly. You don't have the smooth, tight controls of the Mario platformer games. The main gimmick of Mario and Luigi is to be able to control both brothers with the A and B buttons separately, but this adds nothing to the game but frustration. You'll frequently find yourself clearing jumps with Mario but missing them with Luigi, so you always have to drop down to find him then redo the platforming section again. Also the luiginary abilities are made to give the game some variety but they just feel like roadblocks. Luiginary abilities are always accompanied by lengthy tutorials that guide you through the button presses and tell you everything you can do with that specific ability, so there is no room for experimentation or puzzle solving. The abilities are never combined in anyway to give you interesting platforming challenges either.

None of the characters are charming or memorable. I don't think I even smiled once at any point in the story while I was laughing out loud while playing Bowser's Inside Story (which I highly recommend).

This is a minor nitpick, but I think the graphics are blurry and unappealing in general.

Well that's it for my rant lol. For the most part I don't think the game is outright awful, but I don't think it would appeal to anyone over the age of 13. It's definitely a "My first RPG" the entire way through.
#4warmilkPosted 9/3/2013 4:33:23 PM
Favorite game of 3DS. And I have 20+ 3DS games
---
I only exist.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/warmilk/
#5Watt64Posted 9/3/2013 4:37:00 PM(edited)
nintendoman562 posted...
I gave up on the game after about 12 hours. It's easily my least favourite game on 3DS.

The tutorials never end. For the first 5 hours you literally can't go 10 steps without being interrupted by a tutorial. Yes, you can skip a few tutorials but there are literally dozens more. The following is a common occurrence in the game:
-He forcibly guides you through the menus to get to the badges (he says every little thing like "press the start button", "push this part of the touch screen", etc).
-He asks you "Do you want to know more about badges?", then you finally get the choice to skip the tutorial, even though you were already forced through half of it.
And you may be surprised to hear this, but this specific tutorial came up TEN HOURS into the game, after I had been using badges for the entire time. The tutorials never stopped in my entire playthrough.

Battles are shallow and monotonous. I swear for the first 4 hours all you can do is jump on enemies. Animations take forever to do, and enemies have so much health but are never difficult. Battles are a huge bore.

Platforming is done really poorly. You don't have the smooth, tight controls of the Mario platformer games. The main gimmick of Mario and Luigi is to be able to control both brothers with the A and B buttons separately, but this adds nothing to the game but frustration. You'll frequently find yourself clearing jumps with Mario but missing them with Luigi, so you always have to drop down to find him then redo the platforming section again. Also the luiginary abilities are made to give the game some variety but they just feel like roadblocks. Luiginary abilities are always accompanied by lengthy tutorials that guide you through the button presses and tell you everything you can do with that specific ability, so there is no room for experimentation or puzzle solving. The abilities are never combined in anyway to give you interesting platforming challenges either.

None of the characters are charming or memorable. I don't think I even smiled once at any point in the story while I was laughing out loud while playing Bowser's Inside Story (which I highly recommend).

This is a minor nitpick, but I think the graphics are blurry and unappealing in general.

Well that's it for my rant lol.

I understand all your complaints, but I feel like it didn't ruin the game for me.

Also, Inb4 "stop being a baby".
---
"So, um, I really want to help. I'll be good, really!"
#6KGTriggerPosted 9/3/2013 4:38:35 PM
nintendoman562 posted...

Well that's it for my rant lol.

These are pretty much all my concerns with the game as well. Has anyone unlocked hard mode? Do you have to sit through all the tutorials again?
---
PSN: PewPewPew809
3DS FC: 0344-9295-6089 (Matt); Steam: Joben
#7BeanBeanKingdomPosted 9/3/2013 4:39:34 PM
KGTrigger posted...
These are pretty much all my concerns with the game as well. Has anyone unlocked hard mode? Do you have to sit through all the tutorials again?

Of course! What if you forgot stuff in the meantime? ;-)
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#8Watt64Posted 9/3/2013 4:41:36 PM
Also, your sidekick Starlow is a girl. Didn't you notice the girly eyelashes?
---
#9nintendoman562Posted 9/3/2013 4:43:32 PM
Watt64 posted...

I was referring the prince Pi'ilo, but yes, Starlow gives you tutorials too.
#10Watt64Posted 9/3/2013 4:46:51 PM
nintendoman562 posted...
Watt64 posted...

I was referring the prince Pi'ilo, but yes, Starlow gives you tutorials too.

Ahhhh. Sorry!

Yeah, I think the most painful tutorial is when you unlock the Red Shell, and you go into your menu to look at it. But then when you exit your menu, Starlow forces you to go back in and do the demo! >_<

Oh well...
---