3DS XL System Transfer to -another- 3DS XL?

#1muzykalscorpioPosted 9/6/2013 12:16:56 AM
I'm sorry if this question was answered already, I didn't see it in the stickied post. I also wanted to be 100% sure, if possible. I see this "lengthy" (not really) process to transfer from a 3DS to a 3DS XL, but my situation is slightly different. I guess? Maybe?

I own the black 3DS XL released on 8/11/13. I waited "as long as I could" to get it, just in case they announced a Pokemon X / Y special 3DS XL. Wouldn't you know it... a month later, they announce it. I know deep down I want it. Heh.

Anyway, I just wanna know what is involved in transferring the stuff over? 'cause my primary concern is, whether or not it can be done right then and there in the store. I'd most likely be getting this at GameStop, so I can trade in my current 3DS XL towards the new one. Something like that.

Sorry, rambling for almost no reason, tired. Question - is it the same process, 3DS XL to 3DS XL, as it is for the other 3DS to 3DS XL? - Or can I just switch the SD card? Like, simply swap my current SD card for the new 3DS XL's SD card?

Thanks in advance. Sorry if I'm being confused, or just blind and didn't see the fine print. Any word on this would be appreciated. Not that it's a "deal breaker" decision for me, but well... whichever.
---
"Listen to my story. This may be our last chance."
T H E - F I C T I O N - W I L L - S E E - T H E - R E A L
#2bigshot2000Posted 9/6/2013 12:20:47 AM
each system can transfer to a new one up to 5 times wether they are a 3ds, 3ds xl or a 2ds. You will always be able to transfer to a new systems, so no worries here
---
If 3DS is announced to be coming out in November
ShadowofStatue: I will pee, for the first time in my life T-Viral-X: You...YOU ARE INHUMAN!
#3muzykalscorpio(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 7:39:51 AM
Thanks, that's good reassurance for sure. But I'm wondering, can it be done or handled instantly, or would I be unable to trade my other 3DS XL in at the time of purchasing the new Pokemon themed one?

That's the greater concern now, if since as you say, 3DS XL -> 3DS XL transfer is definitely possible. But I'll be trading in my current for the new one, so if I can't swap immediately, I'll lose all my data...

(( I'm guessing the employees would be fine / understanding with -letting me- handle that -in the store-, I just want to make sure it can actually be done. Sorry if follow-up post is a nuisance! ))
---
#4PlaysaverPosted 9/6/2013 7:16:56 PM
you'll need wifi to do a transfer and most gamestops don't have that.
#5CNFiXPosted 9/6/2013 7:57:26 PM
Took almost a half hour to complete the transfer from my Blue XL to my new Black XL. And, yes you need WiFi.
#6SalogyPosted 9/6/2013 8:02:44 PM(edited)
You need wifi, not all gamestops have wifi. You have to do a transfer and keep your old SD card from your old system. Just putting in some random SD card from another 3DS won't work. Games are tied to the original system. It took me 20 minutes to transfer but I have heard it takes an hour for some people. I went from XL to XL with cable internet. I also did not have any DSiware.
---
"In truth, they haven't been allowed for ages, we've just never enforced the rule" -SineNomine on presigs
#7muzykalscorpio(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 11:25:28 PM
Oof, damn... all right, thanks, guess it's something to factor in - keep in mind - or think about before making the final purchase plunge. I appreciate the responses.
---