Alright, these crowd-funded games are starting to getting ridiculous.

#1MarkMiltonPosted 9/6/2013 8:07:10 AM
look, i think if you're an up-and-coming developer that isn't able to raise capital, it's a great thing. it's not easy for some nobody to walk into a bank and ask for a loan to help create your vision, nor is it easy to get a publisher to believe in that vision.

but when you've now got Keiji Inafune trying to make, what is essentially, another Mega Man game and WayForward asking for handouts for, what looks like, a Shantae re-make, i've got to draw a line.

if Inafune really wanted to make Mighty No. 9, he could have easily gone into his own pocket and made the game. but he didn't have to do that anyway, because with his name alone on it, a publisher would have given him all the funding he needed. but instead, he goes the crowd-funding route, which, if you understand what all is going on behind the scenes, is the most profitable way of making a game.

i love WayForward, and will buy whatever Shantae game they feed me, but don't tell me that after the success they've had with that franchise alone, that somehow they were incapable of funding another Shantae game. the third game is due to come out this winter, but now they're already trying to use crowd-funding to make a fourth game.... why not use the profits from that game to fund the fourth one? you know, like how economics is supposed to work.

but neither want to go the traditional route, they just want the cash as easily as possible.

and even if they get the cash, there's no guarantee the games will be on the consoles you hope for... just look at Yatagarasu. that was a crowd-funded game, that was specifically targeted for the 3ds, but long after they got their funding, they've mysteriously made the game a Sony Vita exclusive.

funny how that works.

i want indie games. i love indie games. but don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining. WayForward and Inafune do NOT need our money to make these games. give your money to people that actually need it, not to people and developers that are only trying to make the most profit they can by convincing us gamers that they're some poor, homeless people that would never be able to have their visions realized unless you hand them your cash upfront.

done ranting.
---
If on Decepticon turf you happen to stumble, watch out robot, HERE COMES RUMBLE! ~~ Rumble... duh!
Gamertag: MarkMilton FC: 1977-0327-3304
#2Megaman OmegaPosted 9/6/2013 8:09:31 AM
The problem is, it works, so they'll just abuse it.
---
Uncharted wasn't even made by Sony. Why use that as an example when we're talking about first party games? - talesfan215
#321_21Posted 9/6/2013 8:13:48 AM
I think it's a great idea that Keiji Inafune is using the crowdstarter route over a publisher route. Why? Because this is the best way to show Capcom how much fans themselves are will to do to get their new Megaman game, even if it's only an inspiration.
---
Currently playing:
SMT IV, Ys Origins, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, and Batman: Arkham Asylum
#4StealthlysPosted 9/6/2013 8:16:57 AM
I agree too many people/devs starting kick starters these days.
#5TaaronPosted 9/6/2013 8:17:08 AM
Honestly, I would much rather give my money to more trusted sources such as Inafune and WayForward as they have a much greater success than a random indie developer. Of course I just don't support kickstarter anyways so not like my money affects anything.
---
Nothing wrong with a 40 year old man watching anime intended for 5 year old Japanese girls.
#621_21Posted 9/6/2013 8:18:23 AM
Stealthlys posted...

Too many!? How is TWO too many!? And one of them is an indie publisher! Sheesh...
---
Currently playing:
SMT IV, Ys Origins, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, and Batman: Arkham Asylum
#7MarkMilton(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 8:20:59 AM
21_21 posted...
I think it's a great idea that Keiji Inafune is using the crowdstarter route over a publisher route. Why? Because this is the best way to show Capcom how much fans themselves are will to do to get their new Megaman game, even if it's only an inspiration.

so handing him money is really about giving Capcom a big "F-YOU!!!"?

i'll grant you that this, is in fact, probably the best thing that will come from the creation of Mighty No. 9... but Inafune could have still sent that message no matter how he was able to create the game.

wouldn't him going home, creating the game out of his own pocket, putting it on Live Arcade, eShop, Steam, and PSN, then having it be a success, accomplish the same goal?
---
If on Decepticon turf you happen to stumble, watch out robot, HERE COMES RUMBLE! ~~ Rumble... duh!
Gamertag: MarkMilton FC: 1977-0327-3304
#8E-25Posted 9/6/2013 8:21:30 AM
I'm still waiting on hearing that Activision/Blizzard started a kickstarter; as they're now technically independent developers...

Even EA, just out of their usual greed.
---
Where did you come from? Where do you go?
Where did you come from, demon-eyed Jho?
#9StealthlysPosted 9/6/2013 8:21:31 AM
21_21 posted...
Stealthlys posted...

Too many!? How is TWO too many!? And one of them is an indie publisher! Sheesh...

Yea no.

http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games/popular?ref=more#p1
#10AceMosPosted 9/6/2013 8:21:46 AM
whats this Yatagarasu thing cus they CANT legaly promise it for 3DS then change there mind
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*