StreetPass Relay Issues [finally?] Reported in the US

#1MasterShaman27Posted 9/6/2013 10:55:43 AM
Sorry if this has been posted already, but I didn't see this yet...Seems like part of the issue could be that places like Starbucks are switching from AT&T to Google.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/09/streetpass_relay_issues_reported_in_north_america

I also find it interesting that Gamefaqs was mentioned in this article, goes to show how much of a presence this site really has on the internet!
#2LWLPosted 9/6/2013 12:14:15 PM
I think, at least for some Starbucks, the issue seems to be that now you have to go through a "Terms and Conditions" web page before you can use wi-fi. That's been my experience at least -- the relay was working fine until recently, and then I found I couldn't even connect to Nintendo Zone. I tried opening my 3DS browser and going to Google, and I was presented with a Terms and Conditions page where I had to accept to proceed. I was able to connect to Nintendo Zone after that. Unfortunately afterwards I didn't pick up any tags from the relay -- I may have still been the last person to leave data at that location.

Obviously this is a problem as it seems you can't simply walk by or visit a location to access the relay -- you need to specifically connect to it. I don't know if there's any workaround that Nintendo could implement. Interestingly enough, Starbucks switching to Google could be a way out of this problem, if they don't require going through a Terms and Conditions page to access wi-fi. Of course Nintendo would have to make arrangements with Google to support Nintendo Zone as well, but if Starbucks is switching to Google hopefully Nintendo is already working on this.
#3TinyTim123Posted 9/6/2013 12:54:09 PM
It seems my local McDonalds (the only Nintendo Zone within 50 miles) isn't even transmitting anything. There is no AT&T or Google or anything else to connect to, and clearly Nintendo Zone isn't working, and, as usual, no streetpasses.
It had worked in the past, though... the last time before the N-Zone streetpass transmit I tried was in Winter, so I don't know how long it has been not transmitting.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/