Capcom to focus on increasing the longevity of DLC to cope with poor sales

#121_21Posted 9/10/2013 1:19:18 PM
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/10/capcom-to-increase-focus-on-dlc-development-and-sales/

I'm not exactly sure what Capcom is trying to explain, but it seems to me that they're trying to combat the root of the problem using DLCs rather than actual games themselves. Once again, you never cease to amaze me, Capcom...
---
Currently playing:
SMT IV, Ys Origins, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, and Batman: Arkham Asylum
#2BeanBeanKingdomPosted 9/10/2013 1:20:53 PM
Thank goodness Dual Destinies is coming out before they can implement this mess (and only has one DLC case and some free costumes). I can buy it and go right back to ignoring everything else they put out. :-)
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#3OoSubaruoOPosted 9/10/2013 1:22:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iagy7YCr3XA
---
The official Genbu of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#421_21(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 1:23:59 PM
OoSubaruoO posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iagy7YCr3XA

You know Megaman is in deep s*** when even Phoenix Wright is getting more love by Capcom XD
---
Currently playing:
SMT IV, Ys Origins, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, and Batman: Arkham Asylum
#521_21(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 1:27:31 PM(edited)
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
Thank goodness Dual Destinies is coming out before they can implement this mess (and only has one DLC case and some free costumes). I can buy it and go right back to ignoring everything else they put out. :-)

LOL imagine Phoenix Wright implementign this in the original trilogy? Oh you already finished the first chapter? Better pay up for the next chapter!
---
Currently playing:
#6BeanBeanKingdomPosted 9/10/2013 1:29:03 PM
21_21 posted...

Before they can implement this mess? Seems to me they've always been doing this, considering how much they're already whoring out DLCs. I don't necessarily see the difference in this implementation. They might as well have just said "Lol out games haven't been doing too well but we'll do our best to fix the issue by doing the same damn thing we've been doing ever since fans hated us!"

But what the article says is that it's about to be taken up to eleven. Not "let's take some things out of the game to sell them as on-disc DLC", but "let's plan the game from the beginning so that it will be 100% gutted by DLC for years to come". Right now their games generally have enough content in them even if some as disc-locked.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#721_21(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 1:30:23 PM
21_21 posted...

Before they can implement this mess? Seems to me they've always been doing this, considering how much they're already whoring out DLCs. I don't necessarily see the difference in this implementation. They might as well have just said "Lol out games haven't been doing too well but we'll do our best to fix the issue by doing the same damn thing we've been doing ever since fans hated us!"

But what the article says is that it's about to be taken up to eleven. Not "let's take some things out of the game to sell them as on-disc DLC", but "let's plan the game from the beginning so that it will be 100% gutted by DLC for years to come". Right now their games generally have enough content in them even if some as disc-locked.

I edited my post after reading the article more carefully. It seemed crappy just skimming through it, but reading it in-depth just made it sound even worse >_>
---
Currently playing:
#8BeanBeanKingdomPosted 9/10/2013 1:34:22 PM
Well, I thought the very bottom of the barrel was reached when they disc-locked the ending of Asura's Wrath to sell it as DLC, but apparently Capcom kept digging through said bottom and is looking to reach the Earth's nucleus. :-)

And yeah, I'm dreading what this will mean for the eventual Ace Attorney 6. Probably that the game will be sold in chunks that ultimately end up costing more than the complete games that came before.
---
#9GeekyDadPosted 9/10/2013 1:34:59 PM
Good Lord. Someone do the humane thing, and put these bastards out of our misery. Put them and Square Enix on a boat out at sea to die.
---
"The hardcore you've been waiting for!"
#1021_21(Topic Creator)Posted 9/10/2013 1:36:58 PM
GeekyDad posted...
Good Lord. Someone do the humane thing, and put these bastards out of our misery. Put them and Square Enix on a boat out at sea to die.

Whoa whoa, lets give SE one more chance. They finally decided to get their heads straight with Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts 3, released the right version of Bravely Default to the west, and even releasing some good games not on iOS for once. They're just TWEWY 2 away from garnering some sympathy from me!
---
Currently playing: