Your favorite JRPG of all time and why

#71Pupu27Posted 9/13/2013 9:31:40 PM
KidIcaroots posted...
Does Fire Emblem count as a JRPG? If yes, than definitely Fire Emblem. The original, for the NES, of course. Yes, yes, I know, I'm a hipster. That game just has all I need.

No, it does not.
---
God gave us the English language to troll on Gamefaqs :)
#72Pupu27Posted 9/13/2013 9:42:58 PM
mumpsy21 posted...
Kingdom Hearts.

1) It was basically my first RPG that I remember, I wasn't really a gamer or into games until I played KH.(Played it around 12 years old I think)

2) A special friend introduced the game to me. I was a lonely kid, so it felt special to have someone older than me to actually spend time with me and play that game with me. I even cried when she left for the states.

Kingdom Hearts is not JRPG :-"
---
God gave us the English language to troll on Gamefaqs :)
#73RocketZXbluePosted 9/14/2013 2:15:20 AM
Dragon Quest Monsters (GBC)
most people name it off as "just another monster catching game"
but this proved to me at least, to be a BETTER monster raising game then Pokemon (specifically gold/silver on GBC)
first off you don't "capture" them, you convince to join you (simply put throw food at them, they'll join you "happily"!)
2nd it's combat is based on Dragon quest games, all three monsters in your party fight in battles, you can battle up to 8 enemies at once in random encounters, and they can fight with "AI" which is pretty good, and you can command them if necessary.
3rd the Breeding system was miles ahead of pokemon, if two monsters breed part of their stats (I think it was 25% of both parents could be wrong) transfer to the child monster, and he gets skills from both parents as well! on top of all that the child monster has a HIGHER level cap! the highest level I got legitimately was 247, heard it capped at 255 regardless but I dunno for sure.
the random dungeon system was ingenious! you go through "gates" that lead to dungeons that have a number of floors and each one is randomly generated and you find the gate to the next floor till you get to the bottom and fight a boss.
4th it's chock full of Dragon Quest references! (from DQ1 to DQ6) main character is from DQ6 as is his sister, you fight most of the bosses from all those games! and a lot of the battles parody the scenes from their original games. even some of the music played is from those games (overworld music from all 6 play at one point or another).
---
3DS FC: 4098-2370-5638 PSN: RocketZXBlue
Member of the StreetPass San Jose Facebook page.
#74SekaiIchibanPosted 9/14/2013 2:31:14 AM
Have to say it's a tie between Suikoden II and Super Mario RPG. played Mario RPG first, and it's honestly my first game from Square. I thought it was brilliant and really fun even now. Suikoden II may be the best RPG I have ever played. The history is perfect, a bit cliche, but the presentation was splendid. I think that was the one RPG that changed my favorite genre from RTS to RPG.
#75adampeltzPosted 9/14/2013 5:04:07 AM
I'm surprised to see mention of DWM in this thread. I didn't know other people really loved that game as much as I did as a kid.

Other than that and Chrono Trigger (for obvious reasons), Pokemon Blue, and not counting strategy RPGs like Fire Emblem, my absolute favorite JRPG is:

Legend of Mana for ps1. Sick music, phenomenal graphics that have stood the test of time, addictive gameplay, amazing script full of (mostly) side quests without much "main"quest (which worked well for some reason) and epic beat-em-up battle system... that game was awesome.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.
#76ValkeeriePosted 9/14/2013 5:18:43 AM
Panzer Dragoon Saga. Because I like to think I'm cool by mentioning an obscure game =P No, my favourite is Final Fantasy V because it turned something I completely despised when it first appeared to something I grew to love: the job system.
---
If there was no entry in the Past of whatever I will become,
Then I travelled to the Future the moment that I was gone!
#77adampeltzPosted 9/14/2013 9:05:52 AM
Valkeerie posted...
Panzer Dragoon Saga. Because I like to think I'm cool by mentioning an obscure game =P No, my favourite is Final Fantasy V because it turned something I completely despised when it first appeared to something I grew to love: the job system.

Damn... I really want to play those Panzer Dragoon games on Saturn. PD Orta on Xbox is one of my all time favorites and I never got to experience Zweii or Saga.
---
XBL gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691.
#78darkus_fPosted 9/14/2013 9:16:08 AM
To this day, Final Fantasy 7. I only played it in 2005 but damn. The soundtrack, the gameplay, the overworld, the story and the characters... It all blew me away.

Pokemon is a very close second but I can't really say all time favorite since each new installment is always an improvement on the previous one.
---
3DS FC: 0447-5073-6549 PSN: darkus_f
#79avenue20Posted 9/14/2013 9:18:35 AM
Storywise: FF Tactics

Gameplay: Monster Rancher 2, Digimon Card Battle (trust me it had RPG element lol), Steambot Chronicles
#80arvilinoPosted 9/14/2013 9:29:04 AM
Final Fantasy IX.

The game play isn't the best in retrospective. But the locations are done extremely well and the cast is extremely good with memorable scenes and events. For an RPG its really good at world building with even the non-party members getting focus on them.

Honorable mentions would be Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IV(DS), Pokémon, Tales of Symphonia, Digimon World 1,

avenue20 posted...
Storywise: FF Tactics

Gameplay: Monster Rancher 2, Digimon Card Battle (trust me it had RPG element lol), Steambot Chronicles

I'd question your inclusion if Digimon Card Battle as a JRPG. But it really is a surprisingly great game.
---
"The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time."