What's the logic behind removing e-shop access if your firmware isn't up to date

#1Darklit-ShadowPosted 9/13/2013 7:53:48 AM
It feels counterproductive to me. One of the main reasons people don't update their firmware is piracy. So Nintendo's response to this is...removing a viable way for them to actually purchase their games? Wat? In what way is "Hah, now you HAVE to pirate our games, since we're not going to let you buy them" a good idea? Some people might just pirate older games and still buy new ones, yet they're removing the option to buy new ones. Instead of getting SOME money from pirates, they get NONE. What's the point?
#2Prince ShondronaiPosted 9/13/2013 7:59:05 AM
Would not the newest games be coded to run on the newest firmware? If you were downloading the newest games to run on the oldest firmware, it could cause problems running the games, in addition to exploits that might enable piracy, perhaps.
---
One of us. One of us. One of us.
#3n00bsaib0tPosted 9/13/2013 8:02:42 AM
"Have to pirate"? Like they can't update.

Also, blatant fanboy post. Sony and Microsoft wont even let you play online if your console isn't up to date, much less access the stores.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#4Pupu27Posted 9/13/2013 8:08:53 AM
Darklit-Shadow posted...
It feels counterproductive to me. One of the main reasons people don't update their firmware is piracy. So Nintendo's response to this is...removing a viable way for them to actually purchase their games? Wat? In what way is "Hah, now you HAVE to pirate our games, since we're not going to let you buy them" a good idea? Some people might just pirate older games and still buy new ones, yet they're removing the option to buy new ones. Instead of getting SOME money from pirates, they get NONE. What's the point?

The only reason people don't update their firmware is piracy. Fixed.

And I don't believe removing eShop is good enough. Nintendo should make the next step by removing all physical cartridge out of the market, making eShop is the only way to purchase their games. As long as people has a physical thing on their hand they will find a way to exploit it.

"Instead of getting SOME money from pirates, they get NONE. What's the point?"

The point is piracy is a crime, period. When talking about justice we shouldn't let money affect our reasons. By your logic all killers, rapists.. should be free because spending money to catch/persecute/imprison would be less financially profitable.
---
God gave us the English language to troll on Gamefaqs :)
#5Darklit-Shadow(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 8:13:32 AM
Pupu27 posted...
Darklit-Shadow posted...

And I don't believe removing eShop is good enough. Nintendo should make the next step by removing all physical cartridge out of the market, making eShop is the only way to purchase their games. As long as people has a physical thing on their hand they will find a way to exploit it.

The point is piracy is a crime, period. When talking about justice we shouldn't let money affect our reasons. By your logic all killers, rapists.. should be free because spending money to catch/persecute/imprison would be less financially profitable.

No, by your logic, everyone who has ever committed a crime should be banned from all stores so that they can't give their legitimately earned money to companies for goods and services.

Part of the reason criminals in the US tend to reoffend is that they're pretty much blacklisted from ever having a job after getting out of jail, so they end up resorting to crimes and go back to jail. The cycle keeps perpetuating.

Yes, piracy is a crime. I've never disputed that. I just don't understand the benefit of not letting them give you money. If they had e shop access, they might purchase games from time to time. If not, they'll either pirate or won't bother buying it
#6Darklit-Shadow(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 8:20:20 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...

Also, blatant fanboy post. Sony and Microsoft wont even let you play online if your console isn't up to date, much less access the stores.

Removing online play from pirates makes complete sense, and is a viable anti-piracy move - taking away a service (ie - playing with friends).

"No, you can't give us any money" does NOT make sense.
#7Pupu27Posted 9/13/2013 8:29:05 AM
Darklit-Shadow posted...
Pupu27 posted...
Darklit-Shadow posted...

No, by your logic, everyone who has ever committed a crime should be banned from all stores so that they can't give their legitimately earned money to companies for goods and services.

Part of the reason criminals in the US tend to reoffend is that they're pretty much blacklisted from ever having a job after getting out of jail, so they end up resorting to crimes and go back to jail. The cycle keeps perpetuating.

Yes, piracy is a crime. I've never disputed that. I just don't understand the benefit of not letting them give you money. If they had e shop access, they might purchase games from time to time. If not, they'll either pirate or won't bother buying it

If you happened to pirate games in the past, you could always update your firmware to buy new games. Nintendo doesn't ban you for life from their system. The only drawback from this is that you can't play your pirated games anymore. It just the same as an ex-con could be free to do what ever he wants as long as he promises not committing any crimes again.

So I guess Nintendo's policy is much more forgiving than the government's :D
---
#8n00bsaib0tPosted 9/13/2013 8:32:25 AM
Darklit-Shadow posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...

Removing online play from pirates makes complete sense, and is a viable anti-piracy move - taking away a service (ie - playing with friends).

You can give them money, just not on the eshop. Microsoft gets even less money by not allowing online play considering you pay for theirs, as well as not allowing access to digital purchases.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#9SagadegoPosted 9/13/2013 8:34:58 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...

yep. I reused to update the 360 and it was like, nope no online.
---
Now Playing:
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team/Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan/(3ds) Persona 1/star ocean 1st departure (psp) Xenoblade(wii)
#10Pupu27Posted 9/13/2013 8:36:14 AM
Darklit-Shadow posted...

I forgot to answer this argument on my previous post :D. As I said before, it's not about money when you are fighting evils. Piracy is not only a threat to Nintendo alone but the whole entertaining industry. And the victims of piracy is not big company like Nintendo or Sony but small startups which can't absorb financial hits if their games are pirated.

Nintendo is sacrificing his short term profits to do a favour for the whole industry.
---