What's the logic behind removing e-shop access if your firmware isn't up to date

#41Darklit-Shadow(Topic Creator)Posted 9/13/2013 6:13:44 PM
Pupu27 posted...
Teenman posted...

As a programmer, I can tell you it is not difficult to find job opportunities. A dead person, never gets another chance at life and a raped person will have always been raped. Pain and agony are not comparable to having to find another job.

If you are a programmer then why are you taking side with piracy? I don't know anything about coding but If I could write an app on my free time and sell it on App Store for $1, I would be pretty pissed if at the end of the month my app got 10k downloads but I only received $10 because some suckers decided to pirate my app.

These extra money wouldn't affect me though (as I wrote in in my free time) but it still a $9,990 loss in my personal bank account. It would lead to another $9,990 loss for the car company which I planned to spend my extra money on , and so on and so on....

Multiplying my loss on a couple millions times and you would see the financial damages in the economy is devastating. In fact I believe piracy costs the game industry alone billions of dollars every year.

And it's never a guarantee to find another job quickly no matter which line of work you are in. If it take someone 3-4 months to find a job, a lot of things could happened in those months. They could lost their house for example or their kids could suddenly get sick and they don't have enough money for medical attentions....

I'm not saying that piracy is worse than rape & murder. My point is it's a different kind of important problem needed to be solved. You can't just put it aside and wait until we catch all the murderers/rapists in the world (which would be forever).

Your biggest problem here is assuming that all or even most of those people would have purchased the app if they couldn't pirate it. You did NOT lose 9990 because of piracy, not even close
---
Darklit Requiem
#42guedesbrawlPosted 9/13/2013 6:16:31 PM
Because some pirates might decide to skip the flashcard in order to enjoy e-shop exclusives, like Phoenix Wright?
---
Here's hoping that Chrom will do Aether correctly in SSB4...
#43guedesbrawlPosted 9/13/2013 6:16:44 PM
that's my case, at least.
---
Here's hoping that Chrom will do Aether correctly in SSB4...
#44LightHawKnightPosted 9/13/2013 7:02:58 PM
Seriously. This many people haven't owned a 360 before? Though I don't know that much about the ps3 needing a update to play online, since it is so easy to update. At least it was for me. I know for the 360 I had a ton of problems trying to update at college.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#45Primum_MobilePosted 9/13/2013 8:13:12 PM
There's way to much imaginary number being thrown around here. We don't know how much revenue is really lost to piracy, nor how many of those pirate would even pay for digital content to begin with.

You ask why they are not letting pirates buy eshop stuff, I would like to ask you why you think those pirates would even fork over any cash in the first place? They are pirating games because they are cheap, they don't want to pay. If they are too cheap to pay for physical copies, what makes you think they would pay for digital stuff, most of which are considered overpriced?

If you insist there are little to no money lost to piracy, then I would have to argue there are little to no money to be gained from letting pirates buy eshop content.
In that case, might as well send a clear message that the company does not tolerate piracy. It will appeal to both the masses and the shareholder better.
---
I need a sharp instrument... or blunt, blunt is good, too.
- Chisame Hasegawa, Negima (Del Rey TL)
#46ThadBarrPosted 9/13/2013 8:29:16 PM
Teenman posted...
...but that does not mean completely ignoring the other issues.

I no way am I saying that your wrong...

Did you know that you are on the Gamefaqs 3DS board? I think your debate club website is over here-- http://www.jccc.edu/debate/
#47RocketZXbluePosted 9/14/2013 2:19:46 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...
"Have to pirate"? Like they can't update.

Also, blatant fanboy post. Sony and Microsoft wont even let you play online if your console isn't up to date, much less access the stores.

basically why my PS3 isn't running CFW now, my poor PSP :D
---
3DS FC: 4098-2370-5638 PSN: RocketZXBlue
Member of the StreetPass San Jose Facebook page.
#48Black_AssassinPosted 9/14/2013 2:43:01 AM
Primum_Mobile posted...
You ask why they are not letting pirates buy eshop stuff, I would like to ask you why you think those pirates would even fork over any cash in the first place? They are pirating games because they are cheap, they don't want to pay. If they are too cheap to pay for physical copies, what makes you think they would pay for digital stuff, most of which are considered overpriced?

What if I'd hypothetically only pirate undubs of games that have their original audio ripped out and gladly bought the rest?
---
lowercase
#49monkeypahngPosted 9/14/2013 4:57:52 AM
Darklit-Shadow posted...
Your biggest problem here is assuming that all or even most of those people would have purchased the app if they couldn't pirate it. You did NOT lose 9990 because of piracy, not even close

Aren't you also making the assumption that those people wouldn't purchase the app if they couldn't pirate?

I think the funny thing about this post is that your topic is basically asking for access to the app store despite being a pirate. Now, unless you want access to it for the sake of having access to it or to watch trailers you can find on the internet then it's safe to assume you want to buy something on there because you can't pirate it, which thereby makes your post questionable.

Teenman posted...

However your "our world has way more pressing matters to worry about" argument is what's wrong with this world. If you solve world's problems one after another from the most important to the least then nothing will be solved. By your logic should we stop research on all other diseases until AIDS/cancer's cure is found?

You are grasping at straws with this one.

Would like to point out that, that happens to an extent. Developing countries tend to spend significantly more on HIV/AIDS drugs because it's the most well known killer whilst taking funds from other drugs for diseases despite those diseases actually contributing to more deaths than HIV/AIDS.

Now, let us question why someone would use such an idiotic logic to begin with? It's not okay to do something just because you compare it to something that is considered a bigger issue.
---
Shadow Aigis.... HNNNNNGGGGGGGG!
FC: 1719-3458-5336 @Jamyfang
#50Primum_MobilePosted 9/14/2013 5:23:00 AM
Black_Assassin posted...
Primum_Mobile posted...

What if I'd hypothetically only pirate undubs of games that have their original audio ripped out and gladly bought the rest?

Are you saying you be willing to pay for a game w/o audio, but not one that has audio?

The audio is getting made w/ or w/o your money, so serving your need actually cost extra.
You either buy the full game and ripped the audio out yourself, or you don't get the game. You are not entitle to something just because it doesn't fit your need exactly.
---
I need a sharp instrument... or blunt, blunt is good, too.
- Chisame Hasegawa, Negima (Del Rey TL)