Shin Megami Tensei IV is incredibly addicting

#1WiseWarrior101Posted 9/18/2013 11:07:50 PM
I never thought I'd play a game more addicting than Pokemon. Etrian Odyssey IV came somewhat close, but Pokemon was finally surpassed by Shin Megami Tensei IV. The aspect of fusing demons is incredibly well done. I love getting new demons and seeing what they'll fuse into. The fact that they all have the same total stats makes things balanced, and that any demon can get any skills if you fuse right means you can get your perfect moveset and then keep fusing up and up until you find a demon you love. It's an amazing game, and I'm very glad I gave it a shot.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNsSfiTm5yI
My Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0173-1411-9831
#2tuna-eggPosted 9/18/2013 11:16:30 PM
Welcome to the SMT/Persona Universe. I felt the same (Pokemon WAS my favorite RPG) until I played Persona 4 and got hooked on the fusion system. In both P4 and SMT IV I spent more time in the Cathedral of Shadows / Velvet Room fusing the best possible combination of demons with the resources available than actual dungeon crawling. Great fun. The demon designs are ultra cool too (especially in the other games where they get 3D models and you can see them do their moves). It astounds me that this series isn't even half as popular as Pokemon :(
#3jedinatPosted 9/18/2013 11:21:01 PM(edited)
I played it for a while and got bored. Exploration is kind of boring with the drab environments and hideous overworld... The demon mechanic kind of fails for me because the game never gives you a chance to get attached your demons... I'll occasionally find I can fuse one I really like, but it doesn't last long and most the time I'm balancing "least ugly" with decent moves/stats... I really think the system is fundamentally flawed.

I mean the game is okay, but I wish it had held my attention.
#4tuna-eggPosted 9/18/2013 11:25:10 PM
^Well that's the BIG DIFFERENCE it has with Pokemon. You don't get a starter demon that you level up and bring with you to endgame. You can do that if you wanted, but it's not the way to play the game. I was a bit disappointed about that, too coming from Pokemon but really, the amazing combinations you can come up with by 'sacrificing' your demons more than makes up for it. Plus, the nice thing about it is that you can re-summon your demon anytime through the compendium as long as you have Macca.
#5jedinatPosted 9/18/2013 11:30:54 PM
There should be a "sacrifice" mechanic that works similar to fusion but instead one demon is sacrificed to make the other more powerful.
#6EvilmonsterPosted 9/19/2013 12:18:33 AM
it was fun; story was confusing and overworld map was the worst i've ever experienced.

good for 1 playthrough; wouldn't play through again.
---
NNID: Thomas88
I love me some Dallas girls!
#7biorock4864Posted 9/19/2013 1:35:06 AM
Agree I fine the game very enjoyable.
---
Playing JP3DS Senran Kagura Bravely Default MH4 / US3DS Shin Megami Tensei 4 / Wii Xenoblade
JP/FC bio-rock48 3222-5975-7383 US/FC Alex 2165-5633-7289
#8sonicnewboyPosted 9/19/2013 1:48:53 AM
Yeah I agree. I used to play Pokemon a lot before, but now my love has died for it a bit (but I am sure X and Y will reignite it). But SMT IV was awesome. Went right back into it as soon as I finished it. It's incredibly addicting--had me hooked the whole time until I passed it.
#9TwilightEchoesPosted 9/19/2013 2:37:09 AM(edited)
tuna-egg posted...
^Well that's the BIG DIFFERENCE it has with Pokemon. You don't get a starter demon that you level up and bring with you to endgame. You can do that if you wanted, but it's not the way to play the game. I was a bit disappointed about that, too coming from Pokemon but really, the amazing combinations you can come up with by 'sacrificing' your demons more than makes up for it. Plus, the nice thing about it is that you can re-summon your demon anytime through the compendium as long as you have Macca.

It is possible to make a very strong demon from the early game late on if you know the fusion system well. Fuse down from high-level demons until you have a good late-game skillset for the beginner demon, use the stat-buffer apps, and level them up a lot and they'll be stronger than most demons native to the late game.

But yeah generally speaking, demons are tools and not friends.

it was fun; story was confusing and overworld map was the worst i've ever experienced.

The story is very splintered across the multiple paths which is an issue for single-playthrough narrative for sure, but it's not confusing in the least.

The overworld map, eh. Could've definitley been better with the coloring and visibility of some obstructions, but if you paid attention to the district you were in (labelled on the bottom screen) and talked to NPCs you could find the right direction pretty quickly.
---
[Insert an "[Insert witty saying or joke]" sig here]
#10zergslayer69Posted 9/19/2013 6:26:25 AM
I dont mind all the issues with the world map and such since you have the terminal but damn I hate the high number of enemies on the map when exploring
---
PSN - zergslayer69
Friend Code - 3909 8848 9513