What's going to happen to Atlus, post-Sega?

#1ckhh12Posted 9/21/2013 1:34:54 AM
What's going to happen to Atlus, post-Sega?

I don't know enough about Sega's finances to predict how many copies a game has to sell to be worth the bother, but I suspect that the 60 to 70k copies Shin Megami Tensei IV sold at retail in the U.S. -- according to NPD figures leaked on NeoGAF -- is below that threshold

What will happen to Atlus U.S.?

As I said earlier, I fully expect Atlus U.S. to get shut down or divested by Sega. Sega has the machinery it needs to localize and publish games. We recently saw this happen with the Koei Tecmo merger, we saw it with Bandai Namco, and we saw it with Square Enix. It's just business.

Given that Sega has gutted its San Francisco office already in the name of cost reduction, maybe it'll keep the Atlus team together to handle the influx of Atlus' games needing localization. But I think we've seen a lot more counterexamples (the mergers/acquisitions I listed above).

We also have to think critically about what Western-focused management will think of Atlus' titles ("What the hell is a Shin Megami Tensei? What did it sell, again?") to assume that this is going to be the case, or even hope for it. The fact of the matter is that the games Atlus releases in the West, for most publishers, may as well not even exist. And Sega (in the West) hasn't reliably shown us that its attitude is different.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ChristianNutt/20130920/200739/Whats_going_to_happen_to_Atlus_postSega.php
#2JustwanttolookPosted 9/21/2013 4:01:46 AM
As i said in the Vita topic

"Japan-only smartphone games
Persona 5 250% more fanservice with 75% less serious story
same with Catherine 2
SMT discontinued
Same with Etrian Odyssey"

I also add:
Atlus US shut down
#3GeekyDadPosted 9/21/2013 6:14:50 AM
Justwanttolook posted...
As i said in the Vita topic

"Japan-only smartphone games
Persona 5 250% more fanservice with 75% less serious story
same with Catherine 2
SMT discontinued
Same with Etrian Odyssey"

I also add:
Atlus US shut down

^This, only without the fantasy.

They'll likely go on doing business as usual, as already stated by press releases. Atlus is not becoming part of Sega. They will be a wholly owned subsidiary. For the next year or two, we're likely to see no changes at all to the Atlus brand and Sega Dream Corp operations. Further down the road, however, it's quite possible we will begin to see Atlus publish smaller Sega franchises outside of Japan, or Sega publish the larger Atlus properties.

Either way, Atlus is a profitable arm of what is to be formerly known as Index (now to become Sega Dream Corp.), and in spite of mass hysteria from pimple-faced reactionaries, the company isn't going to implode. Atlus has been dabbling in mobile games for a long while now, just like almost every other publisher in existence. Catherine was barely a blip on anyone's radar, and its future will be the same as it would have been had Index continued to function as a corporate entity. SMT isn't going anywhere, and neither is Etrian Odyssey.

Just throw some chub or mackerel at the seals, and they'll calm down -- they get jumpy when they haven't eaten. But Atlus is just fine. Better than fine. They could have dissolved altogether, and instead they were saved by Sega. And trust me, saved it is exactly what they are.
---
"The hardcore you've been waiting for!"
#4DeathSnipe777Posted 9/21/2013 6:18:45 AM
Atlus made an official statement saying that things would continue like normal.
---
3DS FC: 3609-1047-7032
Steam / PSN / NNID: Marlouchu
#5Semi45aPosted 9/21/2013 6:20:08 AM
nobody knows, only time will tell
---
The only Vita games really worth getting: Gravity Rush & P4G
Being unable to detect sarcasm and lies might be an early way to catch dementia
#6DucePosted 9/21/2013 7:10:38 AM
DeathSnipe777 posted...
Atlus made an official statement saying that things would continue like normal.

Yes thats called PR BS to placate the masses Atlus is doomed they will get shut down entirely or be forced into smartphones/tablets. Actions speak louder than words Sega has taken a huge dump on the west and quickly becoming one of the most hated companies in gaming.
#7bruno1983brPosted 9/21/2013 7:25:16 AM
It's Sega Sammy (the holding) that bought Atlus, not Sega (the game publisher owned by Sega Sammy). SO, unless they go nuts and merge Sega and Atlus, both companies will remain as they are.
#8GeekyDadPosted 9/21/2013 7:46:55 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#9SignusZerielPosted 9/21/2013 8:13:47 AM
I like how people cling to the mentality of no-faith when they don't even know what they are talking about.

Sega Sammy isn't SEGA, as has been stated. And you guys really should learn yourselves on what a "subsidiary" is.
---
GameFak - Power to the trolls, the asses, and the posers.
#10GeekyDadPosted 9/21/2013 10:15:33 AM
SignusZeriel posted...
I like how people cling to the mentality of no-faith when they don't even know what they are talking about.

Sega Sammy isn't SEGA, as has been stated. And you guys really should learn yourselves on what a "subsidiary" is.

When people say Sega on ANY game-related forum, everyone knows they're referring to Sega Sammy. No one calls them Sega Sammy except when they're being referred to in some financial report. Don't be dense. No one outside Japan gives a rat's a** about Sega except as it pertains to Sega Sammy.
---
"The hardcore you've been waiting for!"