Games like Shin Megam Tensei IV?

#1WiseWarrior101Posted 9/21/2013 12:39:24 PM
I got it on a whim, not knowing if I'd like it or not. It's become my favorite game of all time. (My favorite game has already changed three times this year lol, it was Super Mario 64 for eight years, and now tons of awesome games are coming out. Anyway....)

I was wondering what games that are similar to SMTIV you would recommend? Feel free to recommend other Shin Megami games. Also, what is the difference between the main Shin Megami games and the Persona series? I remember reading you can't fuse demons in the Persona series, or is that a load of hogwash? Demon fusing is my favorite aspect of SMTIV.

Thanks! :D
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNsSfiTm5yI
My Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 0173-1411-9831
#2iamtruthPosted 9/21/2013 12:42:17 PM
WiseWarrior101 posted...
I got it on a whim, not knowing if I'd like it or not. It's become my favorite game of all time. (My favorite game has already changed three times this year lol, it was Super Mario 64 for eight years, and now tons of awesome games are coming out. Anyway....)

I was wondering what games that are similar to SMTIV you would recommend? Feel free to recommend other Shin Megami games. Also, what is the difference between the main Shin Megami games and the Persona series? I remember reading you can't fuse demons in the Persona series, or is that a load of hogwash? Demon fusing is my favorite aspect of SMTIV.

Persona is essentially the same gameplay wise,except there is dating sim elements and you have to live a high school life day by day.digital devil saga and nocturne are similar to smt 4.
#3WiseWarrior101(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 12:44:26 PM
iamtruth posted...
WiseWarrior101 posted...

Persona is essentially the same gameplay wise,except there is dating sim elements and you have to live a high school life day by day.digital devil saga and nocturne are similar to smt 4.

Not a fan of dating sims lol, but I'll do some research and see what I think.
---
#4CcroybbPosted 9/21/2013 12:44:27 PM
I hear Devil Survivor has similar mechanics, with the main difference being that it's an SRPG. I really liked SMT IV too, and I'll be getting Devil Survivor Overclocked as my next SMT game.
---
RIJ - Atlus - 9/17/13
#5INKU48Posted 9/21/2013 12:57:40 PM
SMT: Nocturne (Lucifer's Call if you're in Europe) for the PS2 is pretty much the best game ever so please get that game if you have the option.

All SMT and Persona games have things in common with each other so try any of them basically depending on your console of choice.
#6WiseWarrior101(Topic Creator)Posted 9/21/2013 1:03:56 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm mainly a handheld guy. Unfortunately I don't own a Vita, so Persona 4 is out of the question. I'm interested in Persona 3 Portable for PSP though. I'm still unsure about the dating aspect, but I might give it a try. Nocturne would be my second choice, even if I'm not as big a fan of console games.
---
#7chestershadowPosted 9/21/2013 1:10:13 PM
WiseWarrior101 posted...
iamtruth posted...
WiseWarrior101 posted...

Not a fan of dating sims lol, but I'll do some research and see what I think.

Personally, I think the Persona games are trash in comparison to SMT games. If you liked 4, get Strange Journey on DS (you will f****** love it if you loved 4, I wont even say why, you just will once you start it.)
#8Hercik1Posted 9/21/2013 1:29:50 PM
There's soul hackers for the 3ds but know its a huge step down from smt IV. The atmosphere and gameplay is similar though. What you lose is you don't pick what skills your fused demon gets, demons don't level up with you, first person view, your mc doesn't learn magic, and graphics take a hit.

It's still a fun game as long as you understand it's an updated port from a sega Saturn game.

Also it might be hard to find but strange journey is the last smt game before smt IV and it was for the DS the only major difference in these are no voice, first person view, and graphic hit. But I love the dungeons in strange journey they all have there own theme.

Soul hackers might be worth it but if you liked smt you'll also enjoy strange journey unless you really hate first person view.
#9RagnarokxvPosted 9/21/2013 1:46:55 PM
I am 50 hours into Strange Journey the game is excellent, probably my favourite SMT game after DDS1. Just got Soul Hackers yesterday as it just came out in my region and it has potential. I haven't played SMTIV because I live in Europe and Nintendo hates me.
---
Did I say that, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me??
#10sonicnewboyPosted 9/21/2013 2:01:52 PM
Yeah, this is definitely one of my favorite games of all time too. I love how Atlus can make excellent games even though they don't get all flashy with the graphics.

As someone else has suggested in this thread, you should give Strange Journey a try. Although if you do, be aware that traversing the game's labyrinths can be extremely frustrating if you don't have a walkthrough. The story is pretty good though.

I played Devil Survivor 2 for the DS and liked that one much more. it's more like Final Fantasy Tactics, but with the SMT universe.

You could also give Dragon Quest Joker a try, which is the only other game that has SMT IV-like elements like Demon Fusion and a good difficulty (and which isn't Pokemon).