Games like Shin Megam Tensei IV?

#21Sir_HaxorPosted 9/21/2013 9:17:08 PM
Digital Devil saga 1 and 2 (they're one story) for PS2. There's no demon fusion but your party are humans who turn into demons. You can manually pick their skills and abilities so it's like fusion without the actual fusion. The enemies in game are standard demons though.

I'd tell you to try SMT1 but I don't know your opinion on emulators and the game will probably seem dated to you.
---
Half naked teenage demon boy is as good as it gets- MetaLoki
The Official Anguished One and Chaos Hero of the SMTIV board
#221upsuperPosted 9/21/2013 10:52:14 PM
chestershadow posted...
sonicnewboy posted...
Yeah, this is definitely one of my favorite games of all time too. I love how Atlus can make excellent games even though they don't get all flashy with the graphics.

As someone else has suggested in this thread, you should give Strange Journey a try. Although if you do, be aware that traversing the game's labyrinths can be extremely frustrating if you don't have a walkthrough. The story is pretty good though.

I played Devil Survivor 2 for the DS and liked that one much more. it's more like Final Fantasy Tactics, but with the SMT universe.

You could also give Dragon Quest Joker a try, which is the only other game that has SMT IV-like elements like Demon Fusion and a good difficulty (and which isn't Pokemon).

Avoid Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 1, the second game is superior in every feasible way possible, and takes alot of 1's negatives and turns them into positives. 1 is utterly unplayable in comparison to 2 imo.

Better yet, play the first three DQMs first.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper
Official Frost Five of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#23MinamoPosted 9/22/2013 6:52:03 AM
In terms of fusing, it's been mentioned, but anything in the Megami Tensei universe (Persona, Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner, etc).

It terms of JRPGs featuring first person battle systems, Dragon Quest has been mostly first person as far as I know. Old Phantasy Star games (I, II, III: Generations of Doom, and IV) are also first person, just don't bother with anything past IV. Etrian Odyssey is also first person and has character creation for every party member, but I personally don't like it.
#24CW Boi 209Posted 9/22/2013 12:45:03 PM
Feel and gameplay-wise, Persona 1 & 2 are closest to the SMT series. Persona 3 & 4 are great games too, but takes a completely different turn from the first two games (whether it's a good thing or not is up to you, but I personally like it).
---
3DS FC: 4141-2123-1945
Currently Playing: Animal Crossing New Leaf and Zelda Oracle series.
#25NettoSaitoPosted 9/22/2013 1:41:51 PM
Chances are you'll really like Persona 4. Here's a review I wrote for the golden version awhile back, but Golden and the original are pretty much the same. Just with the exception of a new ending, the ability to go outside your house at night, and an extra dungeon.

http://www.nettosgameroom.com/2013/05/persona-4-golden-review.html

If you just read the first part of the review, you'll see all of the differences between Persona and SMT. The basic gameplay (dungeon crawling) is just about the same, but the battle system does have a few differences as well. Also whoever said you can't fuse personas lied lol
---
3DS - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] | NN - [NettoSaito]
The New Netto's Game Room Forums - http://forums.nettosgameroom.com/index/
#26scorchrePosted 9/22/2013 2:57:04 PM
Ragnarokxv posted...
I am 50 hours into Strange Journey the game is excellent, probably my favourite SMT game after DDS1. Just got Soul Hackers yesterday as it just came out in my region and it has potential. I haven't played SMTIV because I live in Europe and Nintendo hates me.

Ahh, a fellow European who's imported Strange Journey!
Strange Journey is incredible! I highly recommend it.
I got Soul hackers last wednesday (2 days before release), and I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd hoped. Although I'm a huge SMT fan, I'm finding it very hard to find anything positive about Soul Hackers. (The 7/10 I have in my sig is just a.. Placeholder until I've progressed enough into the game.)
I'm still waiting on SMT IV, doesn't look like we'll get it in the UK 'till next year.. :'(
Nocturne/Lucifer's Call is another good SMT to try!

TLDR; Try Strange Journey, it's really good. As is Nocturne.
Don't get Soul Hackers.
---
Playing - Etrian Odyssey IV (3DS - 9/10) SMT: Soul Hackers (3DS - 7/10) Borderlands 2 (PC - 9/10)
UK 3DS Friend Code: 5241-1994-1494. (PM me if added)
#27sonicnewboyPosted 9/22/2013 4:23:57 PM
Yeah, I agree with the poster above. Soul Hackers is an odd one. It just felt kind of empty to me. Don't know how else to describe it.
#28Nova666Posted 9/22/2013 5:48:36 PM
Play SMT: Nocturne and your opinion will change yet again.
---
Nova666 = 50% win, 50% awesome, 50% OMG
That is 150% right thar.
~ Action