Miyamoto didn't ruin Sticker Star

#21SF_BombPosted 9/23/2013 9:42:55 PM
smashmaster1111 posted...
SalsaSavant posted...
00bularn00bular posted...
Endgame is right.

That is an invalid combination of words.

Endgame is usually right but most people are just unwilling to see it.

---
Black 2 FC: 1808 0000 3910
#22MATADOR480Posted 9/23/2013 9:46:18 PM
I really liked Paper Mario Sticker Star.
---
3DS FC: 5456-0191-1034 PSN ID: MATADOR480 (PM if you add)
#23nonexistingheroPosted 9/24/2013 5:45:49 AM(edited)
I gotta agree with TC. Everytime I see guys blaming Miyamoto I tell them that he didn't have a big influence in the creation of the game.

MGS4 isn't a master piece though. While the mechanics are superb, the game design is horrible. It's great in the first 2 acts. Act 3 is great the first time through... then it's annoying on future playthroughs. Act 4 is a nostalgia trip without the fun (most mechanics are rendered useless). And act 5 just doesn't have much to it. And there's a ton of weapons that are practically useless in the campaign. The game has superb mechanics, but it has horrible design written all over it. The game could've been superb if they kept the design of act 1 & 2 for the other acts. Well, I can accept act 3 being the same, if act 4 & 5 were more like the first 2.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#24x_stevey_xPosted 9/24/2013 5:55:16 AM
sticker star is a good game. fire emblem awakening is goty . IS = doomed
#25deathgod_lightPosted 9/24/2013 6:32:01 AM
x_stevey_x posted...
sticker star is a good game. fire emblem awakening is goty . IS = doomed

http://i.imgur.com/nRw0MIG.gif
---
http://myscriptx.com/dl/1917/potato-girl.gif
http://i.imgur.com/hh5apRK.jpg
#26VideogamegalaxyPosted 9/24/2013 6:56:20 AM
Sticker Star was basically Mega Man Battle Network with Mario, and is Paper Mario by name and art only. Completely inappropriate for a Mario game, just like Sonic Chronicles was for Sonic. i'll stick with the Mario and Luigi series.
#27DMZappPosted 9/24/2013 10:08:53 AM(edited)
Reposting this from an earlier topic, to add on to TC's findings. There's some doubling up on TC's words, but it just confirms a similar train of thought.

There's also some additions.

MIYAMOTO
-asked for characters only "from the Mario world", which I assumed meant the main series
-saying the deadly sentence "Does this game really need a story?", even though RPGs place more focus on story than other genres, which he, as an expert game designer, should have known, and should have known that no matter the medium, story comes first...but after this game, he won't be making that mistake twice
-saying that Paper Mario 3DS (which is what I refer to the original vision as) was "just a port" of TTYD (a sentence I believe he was lying about for his own misguided purposes), and, when IS converted the game into another build for 2011, called it boring, making him come off as disingenuous and making me think he's jealous

INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS
-possibly fudging the Club Nintendo Post Play surveys to convince themselves they were doing the right thing. You see, the way IS worded it, they were trying to make it sound like literally 99% of people put in question 5 of the survey they didn't like the story (which is incredulous), when what likely really happened was that they also included the people who didn't put anything about the story in question 4 OR 5 (which is understandable customer actions, since we're not all literary experts) as "uninterested in story", so whatever number was the true number of uninterested people ballooned artificially
-not putting in enough tutorials to exemplify a thought process
-not putting in field abilities other than jump, hammer and paperize, which limited the scope of the puzzles in the game
-not putting in enough real clues
-not making Things lenient enough in usage regarding the number of times usable per Thing and what Things solve what Paperize zones
-not being lenient in general (having to fight bosses with Thing stickers, having to find "optional" items, having to find all Toads or Boos)
-not getting a third type of reward exclusive to battles, making them pointless
-not being able to find a way to put partners in, when there are ways they could have done so (perks, partner albums, stickers that change depending on partner out)
-few Mario world characters beyond Toads, when species like Piantas, Nokis, Gearmos and Whittles could have been used; not using one of a species like with Wiggler and Kamek to artificially add characters in (Bandit, Chargin' Chuck, Amp, and Yoshi)...heck, Raphael the Raven could have returned, since he was in Yoshi's Island before he appeared in Paper Mario!
-not trying to work around restrictions or argue with Miyamoto (notice how the interview doesn't mention anyone actually answering Miyamoto's question about story...), and a lack of heart put into the project in general. If IS ever really cared about Paper Mario: Sticker Star beyond a paycheck and job security, they would have tried finding loopholes in the restrictions.
-all these "new ideas" ironically making the game a generic, terrible mess

I'm willing to give IS a little slack, though (not much, however...), since the interview mentioned something few people have brought up: 90% of the staff working on this game had never worked on Paper Mario before, so it was probably easier to manipulate them, and they would put less in stock by what came before.
---
Gameplay & story can and should work with each other, not against each other.
Nothin' much, just cookin'.
#28Lord_FroodPosted 9/25/2013 6:07:00 PM
fallenKlNG posted...
I loved Fire Emblem Awakening. Though it was my first FE game, and I played it on Normal & Casual Mode, so people tell me I haven't REALLY played Fire Emblem.

I hate to sound crass, but you really haven't. And it has nothing to do with the difficulty you chose. FE:A is one giant piece of fanservice at the cost of good gameplay. It's not a bad game, but it sure as hell ain't good.
---
"PS3 is my favourite hentai game." - TakayaNoriko
http://youtu.be/ROk_XmYV_WI
#29ryudin89Posted 9/25/2013 6:12:36 PM
smashmaster1111 posted...
SalsaSavant posted...
00bularn00bular posted...
Endgame is right.

That is an invalid combination of words.

Endgame is usually right but most people are just unwilling to see it.

A good example of this is his topic on the FE board that was stickied then unstickied in the span of ten minutes.
---
GameFAQS=why games should be played and people should be avoided.-selfdeztruction
3DS Friend Code:3780-9074-3418
#30FiendingHardPosted 9/25/2013 6:15:38 PM
Lord_Frood posted...
fallenKlNG posted...
I loved Fire Emblem Awakening. Though it was my first FE game, and I played it on Normal & Casual Mode, so people tell me I haven't REALLY played Fire Emblem.

I hate to sound crass, but you really haven't. And it has nothing to do with the difficulty you chose. FE:A is one giant piece of fanservice at the cost of good gameplay. It's not a bad game, but it sure as hell ain't good.

Yeah.... no. I don't know how it compares to the previous games since its my first FE but I started my first playthrough on Hard/Classic and one wrong move can result in a few characters getting killed. I consider it my GotY despite having played all the big titles like Bioshock Infinite, Last of Us, GTA5, and Pikmin 3.

The story and characters are worth caring about. It may be a little heavy on the fan-service but there's nothing wrong with that. Not every game needs to be super-serious movie-wannabe crap that every other publisher wants to make.
---
Now Playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening aka Best Game of 2013