3DS XL vs DSi XL for DS games?

#1promo123Posted 9/24/2013 8:19:35 AM
As far as I know the screen sizes are about the same, but the DSi XL has the native resolution while the 3DS XL has to upscale a bit. Do original DS games look better on the DSi XL than the 3DS XL because of that?

I've never actually played a DSi XL, but I know that Phantom Hourglass doesn't look so great on a 3DS XL.
---
Everybody's havin' a good time with Poppy Bros!
#2aak57Posted 9/24/2013 8:22:17 AM
I have both, and using full screen games indeed look better on the DSi XL. Though, you can select native resolution mode for the 3DS XL, which will end up with a picture about the size of the normal DSi's screens.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#3ChemicalBurritoPosted 9/24/2013 8:23:24 AM
I think the DSi XL looks better for DS games, myself. Plus, the battery life and speakers are better on the DSi XL.
---
My game collection: http://chemicalburrito.com
Now: Enjoying the summer ...
#4promo123(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 8:30:36 AM
That's what I was hoping for, thanks! I may try to find one soon.

Does the DSi XL make games look just like they do on the DSi, just bigger? Or does it decrease in quality a little bit because of size?
---
#5volaninPosted 9/24/2013 8:46:13 AM
My most prominent problem with playing on the DS or DSi is that the game doesn't get registered in the Activity Log... maybe it's some sort of OCD of mine, but I really love checking my stats there and comparing how long I have played each game!
#601Philip01Posted 9/24/2013 3:30:55 PM
Quote:My most prominent problem with playing on the DS or DSi is that the game doesn't get registered in the Activity Log... maybe it's some sort of OCD of mine, but I really love checking my stats there and comparing how long I have played each game!
@volanin

Same, does the vita have something similar?
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.12
#7promo123(Topic Creator)Posted 9/24/2013 7:51:51 PM
volanin posted...
My most prominent problem with playing on the DS or DSi is that the game doesn't get registered in the Activity Log... maybe it's some sort of OCD of mine, but I really love checking my stats there and comparing how long I have played each game!

That isn't much of a concern for myself, I can get over that.
---
#8Primum_MobilePosted 9/24/2013 10:12:16 PM
dsi xl do look better, but unless you are super ocd about graphic, i wouldn't buy a new system just for it.
---
I need a sharp instrument... or blunt, blunt is good, too.
- Chisame Hasegawa, Negima (Del Rey TL)
#9Lee7Posted 9/25/2013 5:52:43 AM
DSi XL solely because of d-pads placement
---
-Sense, this makes none-
-AMD fx-6300 @ 4ghz, 4gb ram, palit geforce gtx 660, win7 Ultimate, chieftech 500w, Dell UltraSharp U2312HM IPS 23"-
#10ChemicalBurritoPosted 9/25/2013 6:05:00 AM
promo123 posted...
That's what I was hoping for, thanks! I may try to find one soon.

Does the DSi XL make games look just like they do on the DSi, just bigger? Or does it decrease in quality a little bit because of size?

Well, you can see more details on the DSi XL than you can on the smaller DSi/DS Lite just because the screen is bigger. It's not really a decrease in quality (since any graphical issues you see on a DSi XL are also present on the smaller DS screens), but you will probably notice games with bad graphics more on the XL. Text readability, though, is much improved on the DSi XL than the other DS models.

Really, if you like DS games, the DSi XL is an awesome way to play. I have a DS Lite, a DSi XL, and a 3DS XL, and if I want to play a DS game, the DSi XL is the handheld I'll grab.
---
My game collection: http://chemicalburrito.com
Now: Enjoying the summer ...