My reaction to the new Kirby game announcement

#41omegaslash14Posted 10/1/2013 9:54:56 PM
Vyers posted...
You kidding me? Perhaps not Epic Yarn, but Mass Attack fit well within the spirit of the Kirby franchise. You may not have taken copy powers or inhaling, but Canvas Curse as you mentioned was fantastic even though its method of taking powers from enemies was different and the method of movement was unlike anything Kirby had ever seen. Mass Attack was a fantastic breath of fresh air and it shouldn't be punished for not including a well-loved part of Kirby only introduced in its second game.

I'll never play mass attack ever.... EVAR!
---
3DS FC: 0817-3744-5436 Name: Mugen
Ah yes, swords natures knives.
#42NeonYoshi11Posted 10/1/2013 10:40:35 PM
Vyers posted...
Kirby's Adventure's gimmick was power-ups.

Kirby Super Star's gimmick was the variety of game types.

Kirby's Dream Land 2's gimmick was animal helpers.

The best Kirby games are about gimmicks. Kirby's Return to Dream Land had gimmicks too - except in that case its gimmick was purely visual.

uhh no by gimmicks I meant use of stylus, or having 10 kirby's to control.

How don't you get that
---
Pokemon White 2 FC: 0219-2969-7648
#43TinyTim123Posted 10/1/2013 10:50:21 PM
NeonYoshi11 posted...
Vyers posted...
Kirby's Adventure's gimmick was power-ups.

Kirby Super Star's gimmick was the variety of game types.

Kirby's Dream Land 2's gimmick was animal helpers.

The best Kirby games are about gimmicks. Kirby's Return to Dream Land had gimmicks too - except in that case its gimmick was purely visual.

uhh no by gimmicks I meant use of stylus, or having 10 kirby's to control.

How don't you get that

'cause you didn't say no stylus. If you want to be understood, don't assume everyone can see in your head to know what you mean.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#44VyersPosted 10/1/2013 10:52:26 PM
I get what you're trying to say. You could say many a variety of inane babble and I would probably get the gist of it. The problem here is that your criticism is arbitrary. Why is Canvas Curse poor for its use of touch controls? Why is Mass Attack poor for its use of multiple Kirbies? Conversely, for what reason is Kirby's Adventure not poor for regular dependence on these new power-ups, or Super Star for requiring a mostly linear completion of its eight "games"? Or 64 for requiring you to mix and match the proper power-ups to proceed in the game? Or Dream Land 3 for requiring the proper combo of power-up and animal helper to proceed?

Neither of the games you alluded to have game-breaking flaws as a result of their gimmicks. The games were built from the ground-up to work with the stylus and Mass Attack was built from the ground-up to require multiple Kirbies. It's not a flaw of the game to be drastically different. Squeak Squad in particular stands as one of the worst Kirby games for its lack of ingenuity and overuse of older concepts. People who dismiss games solely for being different are just a huge bug; same reason why I can't stand a lot of Phantom Hourglass'/Spirit Tracks' critics. Criticize the games for their poor maps and other flaws, but the touch controls at their very worst are simply "not ideal". They were very well-done for what they were trying to do.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, Bionicle, and more~!
#45dmaster342Posted 10/1/2013 10:53:04 PM
My reaction was the complete opposite if only because that iconic song cheers me up every time I listen to it.
---
3DS FC: 3523-2057-7150 PM me if you added me!