What's with handheld developers and turn based combat?

#31ggf162Posted 10/4/2013 9:28:54 PM
Ruzinus posted...
selfdeztruction posted...
Videogamegalaxy posted...
The Legend of Zelda is a Action RPG series

Nope, it's action adventure. There's no RPG elements to it whatsoever.

Double nope! It's a dungeon puzzler. Or as I like to call the genre: Puzzle (Zelda Style), as Zelda is basically the definitive example.

You obviously don't understand what consists of an adventure game.
---
My name is Ivan I like you
#32ADHDguitarPosted 10/4/2013 9:32:24 PM
It makes up for the complete lack of it on home consoles.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are tan(1.560796660108231381024981575)% proud of it, put this in your signature.
#33brStalkerPosted 10/4/2013 9:42:10 PM
KidIcaroots posted...
tompound90 posted...
selfdeztruction posted...
Videogamegalaxy posted...
The Legend of Zelda is a Action RPG series

Nope, it's action adventure. There's no RPG elements to it whatsoever.

Uh oh we're gonna have this discussion again :P

It has character development, like RPGs. It just doesn't show you the numbers. And before someone says it's different because it's power-up based, remember there are RPGs that also go with this form of streamlined leveling (Chrono Cross, FF: Mystic Quest).

Character development is practically inexistent on Zelda titles. Also you're confusing the term for 'experience levels', or, more accurately in this instance, 'equipment upgrades'
---
"Which is more evil: Kidnapping a child to use as a tool for world domination, or using your blood child as a tool for world domination?"-Tyranidomega
#34AkaneJonesPosted 10/4/2013 9:47:30 PM
Action RPG on DS
Rune Factory
Rune Factory 2
Rune Factory 3
Avalon Code
Children of Mana
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
From The Abyss
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Kingdom Hearts Re:coded
Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals
Lunar Knights
Phantasy Star Zero
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Summon Night: Twin Age
Ys Book I & II DS
The World Ends With You

I don't think finding an Action RPG on Ds was a problem
Even with 3DS you get
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
Rune Factory 4
Tales of the Abyss
Monster Hunter 3G(if we want to get into that debate)
#35helldewPosted 10/4/2013 10:45:00 PM
NukedToVoid posted...
Action RPGs simply lack on EVERY console, I agree it's a shame, but you should try to enjoy those that are available: Ys, skylanders, soma bringer, torchlight 2, lunar knights, Zenonia 4 and a couple others which aren't exactly as... "action" as those I already mentioned... unfortunately the closest thing to what I consider a TRUE action-rpg is skylanders (as to how its controls are responsive and fights are designed), Ys ended up being too focused on jumping on some OR focused on grinding, either put you against a final boss that's incredibly OP compared to anything you've ever fought because you gotta fight it with sub-characters that you probably never even used or basically suck...).

On a note, there's also this new korean online game called "Dungeon Striker" which seems appealing if it ever manages to go global.

There is so much wrong with what your saying about Ys. the platforming in Ys is in like 3 games. Ys7 doesnt have any platforming considering you cant jump neither is 1/2 or Celceta.

grinding is Ys isnt really a problem unless your playing on the hardest difficulty. on normal and hard mode Grinding was a non issue especially since the freaking games gives you a EXP mutiplier if you hit enemies enough times with out stopping(which is really easy to maintain) and Ys is always hard and will always have harder bosses it doesnt try hiding that. the final bosses usually arent an exception but they are usually crazy fun
---
ErrorSupply 3-D DS -OMG! It's the ultimate anti-pirate tech O:.