Is 3DS an embarrassing handheld for adults?

#271fallenKlNGPosted 10/7/2013 10:02:53 AM
Seems to me that it's like this:

High School: Most embarrassing.

College: Least embarrassing, because you're now surrounded by tons of other college 3DS gamers.

After College: Embarrassing now that you're no longer in college and you no longer see tons of other 3DS players your age, but by now you're too mature to care.
---
3DS Friend Code: 2449-4639-6561
#272Ame_no_MurakumoPosted 10/7/2013 10:05:57 AM
Nope. Don't care who sees me play mine.
---
www.youtube.com/knightsaziel I upload videos of Final Fantasy XIV and Terraria, at the moment.
#273fallenKlNGPosted 10/7/2013 10:06:21 AM
zergslayer69 posted...
It is quite interesting though. Seems people judge you based on the device rather than the game. If pokemon X/Y was on the iphone, nobody would care you're playing it on the iphone, but if same exact game was played on a 3ds/vita people start getting self conscious or others would possibly pass judgement on you as "childish".

The explanation for that is simple enough. It's because if you have a smartphone, you have it primarily to make phone calls and to do other stuff besides gaming. For that, nobody thinks twice if you're playing childish games on a smartphone.
---
3DS Friend Code: 2449-4639-6561
#274r3sonancePosted 10/7/2013 10:47:26 AM
It's not embarrassing.

But TBH nowadays i don't really carry portable gaming devices outdoors.

If im outdoors most of the time i'm running errands, out with my friends or family.

Or if its break time ... i use gamefaqs to post or talk with my co-workers.

gaming is more comfortable at home IMO and more immersive
#275SlaynPosted 10/7/2013 11:12:24 AM
fallenKlNG posted...

College: Least embarrassing, because you're now surrounded by tons of other college 3DS gamers.

After College: Embarrassing now that you're no longer in college and you no longer see tons of other 3DS players your age, but by now you're too mature to care.

I noticed this curve as well. I played the 1st gen Pokemon freshman year when I was 14, but it wasn't something you did at school or even talked about, unless in secret. I actually am back in college finishing up at 29 and I am shocked at all the guys 18-25 I see with a 3Ds on campus, way more than in high school.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#276fire2boxPosted 10/7/2013 11:16:51 AM
im 25 and I'd play my 3DS XL ( Blue) in public. The shape does kinda remind me of a fisher-price kinda toy though.

but really, nothing matters as long as you drive anything then a Smart Car. Even Scion and Cube drivers get to laugh at those things.
---
Ivy bridge i5 3570k @3.40GHz | 8 GB DDR3 | single XFX 7870| OCZ 600W Modular. Nvidia, AMD, Intel for life!!
3DS FC: 2208-5221-4039
#277thetoughkidPosted 10/7/2013 11:40:30 AM
I bet alot of the people on the forums that act all "Your sad if you care about what others think!!" actually are embarresed to sit around playing on their 3DS in public with a bunch of random people nearby
---
3DS FC: 4656 - 6217 - 3476 PSN: Dupichos
Official douchebag of which ever board im on.
#278TroutfischPosted 10/7/2013 11:52:21 AM
Absolutely not - it's only embarrassing if you can't find the courage to play it in public.
---
PSN: Troutfisch
Dark Arisen Pawn: Troutfisch | Troutfisch | Mira | 143 | Mage
#279easymodexzPosted 10/7/2013 1:17:21 PM
fallenKlNG posted...

^^^

This.

I play it at the bus stop and random people older people (4x - 6x) at my workplace make conversation saying that their kids play it. I smile and laugh with them. They're obviously jelly.

Couple younger folks (by younger, I mean 2x or 3x) ask me what games I'm playing. One guy was playing a Vita on the bus and asked me if I liked the 3DS, etc.

There's a certain point where you grow up and stop giving a **** what people think about trivial things.

Every 5th adult on the metro / bus is playing Angry Birds, or some sort of tetris / pong variant, or using an e-reader. A 3DS is simply slightly more interactive. Shrug.
#280Xtreme-VoidPosted 10/11/2013 11:51:01 AM
my friend was upset for a few days because he is seen playing 3DS even though I don't intend to upset him
---
PC Gaming Rigs, PS3, XBOX 360, PS VITA, PSP, 3DS
Universal Gamer