Bought a used 3DS that came without the SD card- what can I do?

#1CrazySephiPosted 10/4/2013 5:50:35 PM
Before I buy an SD card, what can I do on my 3ds? Games are saved on cartridges, right? So can I play games without an SD card?
---
This place was so much friendlier when the mob ran it.
#2keyblader1985Posted 10/4/2013 5:54:46 PM
Cartridge save files are on the cart. Streetpass data, DLC, and other things for cartridges are saved to the SD card. You'll also need a card to download pretty much anything (excluding DSiWare) from the eshop.

So here's what you do:

1. Buy an SD card
---
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/keyblader1985/keyblader.jpg
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai
#3AltSaberPosted 10/4/2013 5:56:57 PM
They're pretty cheap. You can get a 32 GB one for $20.
#4CrazySephi(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2013 5:58:48 PM
Right, I'm GONNA buy an SD card I was just wondering what I can do whilst I wait for it to arrive.
---
This place was so much friendlier when the mob ran it.
#5gamemaster712Posted 10/4/2013 6:02:20 PM
Play DS games till then.
---
Lord of gaming!!! (probably)
#6Thunderbird8Posted 10/4/2013 7:49:31 PM
keyblader1985 posted...
Cartridge save files are on the cart. Streetpass data, DLC, and other things for cartridges are saved to the SD card. You'll also need a card to download pretty much anything (excluding DSiWare) from the eshop.

So here's what you do:

1. Buy an SD card

Actually, StreetPass data is not saved to the SD card, but to the internal memory on the 3DS. This is why there are only 12 slots instead of having a limit based on SD card size.

Some games may save the data gained from StreetPass as Extra Data (MH3U does this), but not all of them do (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon does not require a SD card for StreetPass functionality, for example). Games that don't create Extra Data don't use the SD card at all for their physical versions (excluding DLC).
#790sRetroGamingPosted 10/4/2013 7:55:34 PM
keyblader1985 posted...

So here's what you do:

1. Buy an SD card

No step two? lol
---
MKW FC: 3008-8379-7294/3DS FC: 1375-7268-6996/http://www.youtube.com/user/OldSchoolGaming4Life
#8The Blob2000Posted 10/4/2013 7:57:19 PM(edited)
You should be fine without an SD card for playing cartridge games, save for a few (like AC, pretty sure).
Can't download anything from the eshop I think if you don't have an SD card.
Note: I've never tried this to be sure.
---
Women just want to take your money and eat all your raisin bread.
Parking meters! And you're walking around! Ha ha ha That's so funny.
#921_21Posted 10/4/2013 8:01:53 PM
90sRetroGaming posted...
keyblader1985 posted...

So here's what you do:

1. Buy an SD card

No step two? lol

What's the point of wasting energy listing other steps if TC won't even do the first one?
---
Currently playing:
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth, Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand, SMT IV, and Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
#10mzsylverPosted 10/4/2013 8:05:49 PM
keyblader1985 posted...

So here's what you do:

1. Buy an SD card

2. Light hair on fire.
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x